Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JDBV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDBV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie
    Posted: August 07 2010 at 10:46am
Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and new to forums - I hope I am posting correctly. 

I am in need of advice.  Last April my 36" red hair was burned off in a traumatic accident.  My hair is very thick and curly when short, wavy when long.  Of the 7" inches I have left only the 2" of new growth can be saved.  To make it more of a challenge for me I am 43 years old and incredibly nervous as to how it will grow back in.  I know I have at least a 3 - 4 year wait for it to reach bsl.  I have researched hair extensions while it grows back out but I am terrified of making things worse.  I have contracted with a reputable professional salon but I am worried that I will end up with two heads of hair (big hair) during the growing out process.  Does anyone have any experience or information they can share about extensions?  Will hair extensions work with very thick hair curly/wavy hair, or will it make it worse?

Any advice or info you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by JDBV JDBV wrote:

Hello everyone.

I am new to this site and new to forums - I hope I am posting correctly. 

I am in need of advice.  Last April my 36" red hair was burned off in a traumatic accident.  My hair is very thick and curly when short, wavy when long.  Of the 7" inches I have left only the 2" of new growth can be saved.  To make it more of a challenge for me I am 43 years old and incredibly nervous as to how it will grow back in.  I know I have at least a 3 - 4 year wait for it to reach bsl.  I have researched hair extensions while it grows back out but I am terrified of making things worse.  I have contracted with a reputable professional salon but I am worried that I will end up with two heads of hair (big hair) during the growing out process.  Does anyone have any experience or information they can share about extensions?  Will hair extensions work with very thick hair curly/wavy hair, or will it make it worse?

Any advice or info you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome.....

I am so very sorry to hear about your hair issues.  You are welcome to post anywhere but you might want to also check out the hair extension and the long hair areas on this board.

You are actually talking about a couple issues including your hair regrowth challenges and the option of extensions.

The hair regrowth issues can be managed with a variety of options but ultimately you can expect 6-8 inches per year of natural growth.  You are right about that.  There are things you can do to max out your growth cycles but ultimately it will be a waiting game.

You are also asking very good questions about your hair extensions.

The truth of the matter is that even when hair extensions are applied by someone with expert knowledge (a pro or DIYer) they can put stress on the scalp and the surrounding hair roots. 

Not always but sometimes and it's a good thing to at least consider when you are making your decisions about your hair.  Whe done properly semi-perm hair extensions can be applied and removed with minimal damage to the roots, hair and scalp. 

The two best types of hair extensions, in my humble opinion (others will disagree with me) for curly hair is fusion (hot or cold) or sew in.

The weight of the hair applied to your natural hair will cause the natural curls and waves to straighten out.  However, as your natural hair grows back in the roots will be curly and the extension sections will tend to remain straighter.

The advantage to sew ins is that you can often have then adjusted to compensate for the root regrowth.  With fusion you have to have the extensions removed and reapplied.

The disadvantage with sew in extensions is that if the braided tracks used to hold the sew in hair are too tight, you may have initial discomfort (headaches) and find it more difficult to sleep.  Both of these challenges are common and can be handled appropriately.

If this is your first time with hair extensions I would strongly suggest that you take as much time as possible to weigh all of the options (sew in, fusion, beads, tape or other attachments) and then interview experts in those areas.

Although most professionals who do hair extensions are honest and care about doing the very best for their clients, it is up to you to do your own research and find the very best solution for you and your hair.

The people on the long hair board here can help with regrowth questions and the hair extension people are amazing with their knowledge of hair extensions.

Please post your questions and I am sure you will get some great answers.

Best of luck to you.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 1:53pm
     Dear JD, I couldn't be sorrier about what has happened to you. All I can suggest is the same I'd tell my wife if the same happened to her. Cut what you must, start over and enjoy the exciting journey back to long hair! In the meantime, I'd suggest clips-on if it bothered her to wear short hair. Companies make incredible, color matching pieces now. It's not like the old days when these tails looked like plastic "Barbie hair".
     My wife, BTW is in her 50's now, and still has waist-length hair. More and more, I'm seeing women who refuse to fall into the trap of believing that they need short, stiff hair after a certain age. And I'm talking about beautiful well-groomed LONG hair on women in their 60's and well beyond! Your hair WILL change somewhat, but that doesn't mean it won't be lovely!! Oh, ten years ago, the longest hair on my wife's head was only 2" long. No woman ever becomes "too old" for tresses, so take heart and enjoy the ride. Don't let a horrible trauma defeat you!! Wink Bob
JDBV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDBV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 5:25pm
Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your message.  This has been the most difficult time of my life and I don't want to let it defeat me.  It has completely changed my life and has been very painful.  Of all that I have lost I miss 'me' the most.  I try to tell myself that every day in every way I get better and stronger.

I am so encouraged by your email.  Smile  I will try to see my hair repair as an adventure instead of a reminder of what happened.

Thank you again!

Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 7:44pm
     Awww... It's so gratifying to know that you are trying to think positively. My own daughter, youngest of four, is a singer and artist. One and a half years ago, her car was vandalized and virtually *everything* of her creations was stolen, along with much else of value. She felt violated, as if raped, and had nightmares for half a year. Sometimes, she'd just sob uncontrollably.
     But, time has passed, new art, new connections, and she feels as if she is whole again. Now, I don't know what happened in your life, nor is it my business, but I assume that you felt for a time that your very life hung in the balance. All I have to say is please focus on what you still have. I'll bet you have very much in your life that is worth saving, and relishing. Try to focus on that! Hugs, Bob Wink
JDBV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDBV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 9:34pm
Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for your message.  The information you provided was wonderful and very helpful.  I am knee deep in researching my hair issue and the next best step for my situation. 

Thank you again - I very much appreciate it.  Smile
JDBV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDBV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 9:10pm
Hi Bob,

How horrible for your daughter.  I absolutely know how violated she must have felt. 
It has been the most traumatic thing that has ever happened to me and I have felt as though my life hung in the balance, in fact I still do.  I cry every day and it is very hard to function on the most basic level.  I am supposed to return to work Monday but still have trouble leaving the house.  I have met so many wonderful people on my road to recovery and I draw on their strength and the support they have offered to me.  I never would have thought that I would face life as it stands for me now. 
Thank you so much for your messages and encouragment.  I am so very grateful.
Hugs to you and your family.  JDB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic