Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How Get Dark Smoky Gray Color?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Get Dark Smoky Gray Color?
    Posted: August 10 2010 at 12:45pm
Hi:

My hair is practically white.

I'd like to tone it to a dark, sooty, smoky gray color. Something like what it looked like when my naturally very dark brunette hair was about 30% gray overall.

The appearance was of a silvery, smoky gray-black head of hair. Unless up close and checking, you didn't see the individual white hairs. And I had no large patches of whiter hair.

Is it possible to do this?

I know most people want to hide gray. I just want to tone it. Get it darker, but not give up "gray."

And want to do this without turning too greenish.

Advice?

Thanks,
kenny

P.S. I just went dark brown for a year. Am back to white now (with some platinum toning and a highlight which overall is blending very well with the new growth). Gave up on dark brown because of the required root maintenance every 5 days or so.

My hair grows extremely fast and every 5 days I had a white ridge showing at the front of my scalp. I would usually go two weeks between root treatment on the whole scalp, but needed the touch up on the front more often.

Am believing that if I can tone in a dark smoky gray color that the contrast between the new growth and the color will be lessened and easier to deal with.

P.P.S. I am using Wella colors to tone with. And 10 volume developer.

P.P.P.S. I first colored my long white hair when I saw the "Touch of Gray" Just for Men product. It was a disaster.

First use it added a nice smoky hint of darker color, but very flat looking.

Second use it turned my hair jet black.

I "Color Fix" removed that. Then switched to Clairol's "Beautiful Brown" alternating between dark and medium and that worked really well so long as I left it in a shorter time than the instructions called for. (When I left it in for full processing time, it oversaturated.) Tended to do the roots for 3/4 suggested time and then work it out through the ends for 2 minutes max.

Edited by kenny - August 10 2010 at 12:50pm
kenny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 3:03pm
Have been studying the Wella Color charts.

Am wondering if perhaps a 7A or 4A might do what I want, mixed with 5 or 10 volume developer (so that I am using the color as a toner)? Those are described as medium smoky ash blonde and medium smoky ash brown.

And.... if I end up with too much yellow-ish green (from the ash) maybe I could add some violet toning?

Before doing any of this all over, I'll definitely test a small section -- or strand test... Maybe I'll come up with a perfect mix for me....

Any pros want to comment, suggest, warn?

Thanks,
kenny
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic