Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forget Trims

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chargersgirl19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargersgirl19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forget Trims
    Posted: September 06 2010 at 2:19pm
Ok so I'm new to the boards. I've been trying to grow my hair out since last March, when I cut it to shoulder length. So it's been about a year and a half and it's only grown like 4 or 5 inches? I think lol. Which depresses me because I want it to be belly button length, so I still have like 5 more inches to go :(. I learned about the usual trims last year and have been habitually following through with them up until now. Because I realized, why would I get a trim with barely any split ends? Why not just Search and Destroy? I'd get a trim like every 2 months and I felt like it would just cut off my growth. Another thing I've done is totally stopped using heat tools on my hair for the past two months, and I swear my hair has grown like an inch or maybe even more :). Plus hairdressers always take too much off. I've been lusting after long hair for so long now and I am willing to do anything to achieve my goal. So is this a good idea to just stop getting trims and just trim it myself? Meaning only trim the splits? 
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2010 at 7:59pm
     Hi Chargersgirl19! You a Lance Alworth fan? He was #19, and in the football Hall of Fame, of course. My bro' Mike was and is a Chargers fan. Big%20smile
     I'm sorry that you had gotten the shoulder length cut last year that you seem to regret. I know that the growing process is exasperating. The good thing to remember is that this could be the last time ever that your hair will be this short. It's all up to you! The only magic pill is one of perseverance. My wife went 25 months w/o a trim a few years back, and she proceeded from shoulder blades to tailbone in that time. She's 5'3".
     One last suggestion is that you keep a photo of your disappointing cut in your purse, or on your bedroom wall to remind you that the next time you see a great looking bob or other cut on someone that you think about emulating, that short hair does not feel like you. And the momentary thrill will not last for you. Congrats on your success thus far! Clap Bob

chargersgirl19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chargersgirl19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 11:11pm
Hi Bob. I do happen to be a Lance Alworth fan :) and I especially like Dan Fouts, he was awesome. I think he was the best quarterback of his time. I am a die hard Chargers fan, as well as the rest of my family.

But anyways, so last year when I cut my hair it was because I had to :(. I used to long bleach blonde hair but one day I went to the hair dresser and she told me it was all dead. So I said whatever, go ahead and chop it off! So now I have semi-long hair that goes down to like the middle of my shoulder blades or maybe longer. My long term goal is to my waist, and my short term goal is like mid back. I used to flat iron my hair every day so I think that's why it took so long to grow. But I've recently been taking good  care of my hair :) No heat at all for six months (well, four months now). And no trims! So I'm excited to see what will happen over the next four months!! One other problem that might be interfering with my hair growth is my dry scalp. I don't have dandruff just a very dry scalp and I don't know what shampoo or products to use to heal it. Can you suggest anything?
Miss Burgundy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Burgundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2010 at 11:43pm
Jojoba oil is supposed to be the closest to our natural scalp oil. My scalp is very dry too, and sometimes I use jojoba or coconut oil on my scalp.

For the jojoba, I use it after I wash my hair. I put a drop on my finger and then dab in the two areas where I get the driest. It takes more than one drop though. I can only get a few dabs from one drop because it soaks into my scalp pretty fast. It works best (gets more moisturized) for me if I do it before my scalp dries, even though it's hard to part my hair to get to the scalp areas when it's wet. Sometimes I do it when it's dry too because my scalp will still get super dried out just a few days after washing it. For some reason oiling my dry scalp doesn't work as well as oiling my wet scalp, but it's much easier to part. Next time I might try misting it down a little before oiling it. Hopefully since it wont be soaking wet it will still be easy to part but at the same time the scalp will be kind of wet.

And sometimes before I wash my hair I'll massage coconut oil onto the whole scalp the night before, then it gets washed off the next morning.

Edit: I forgot to add that since I started doing this, it hasn't helped my hair grow faster. I've always had a dry scalp, but it has always grown very fast. So it might be different for you. But for me all it does is give me relief from a dry uncomfortable scalp.

Edited by Miss Burgundy - September 09 2010 at 11:53pm
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 1:58pm
     It is so cool to hear from a Charger's fan! My brother lived and breathered San Diego from Pa. when he has a kid during the John Hadl and Speedy Dunacan Days! Now he roots for the Eagles AND Chargers, as he's lived in the Philly vicinity for many years now.
     Also, I'm impressed that you are anxious to grow back your length. Long hair lovers really miss it. One thing I've learned in the years that I've been married to my usually long-haired wife, is that hairdressers and their opinions cannot be always trusted. Many LOVE to chop off long hair, and are all too willing to discourage those who own it. Hope you stay on board, 19!! Big%20smile Bob
cwa14n3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwa14n3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 7:45pm
I'll stay on topic. Use Sharp shears! Micro trims ONLY, AKA dustings, only when split ends appear. By a trusted guy friend who tells you, "Don't cut off your beautiful hair!" The fat girl with a bad bobbed chop, wants to see you hacked as well. Not the person to ask how you should cut your hair. When you hear, "You would look really cute with a short haircut", that is reason to walk away from this jealous "phony" friend. Like a wing man doing her own tail gunning act at the your expense. She looks better if you screw up your great looks. Give it time, it will grow, you WILL LOOK FABULOUS! JMHO!
Just Me
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2011 at 5:57pm
I would Search and Destroy, and only search for the split ends.  For dryness of scalp I would use jojoba oil, olive oil, or any indian hair oil on my scalp.  Now, shampoos and conditionrs to help the drynees would be Pantene PRo-V Nature Fusion Moisture Balance.  That really works for me.
Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic