Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Curly Hair Myths - Please Add Yours

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unregistered Guest View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unregistered Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curly Hair Myths - Please Add Yours
    Posted: September 19 2010 at 9:20pm
One of the things that drives me crazy is when I see misinformation about curly hair on websites and in the media.

Please add the Curly Hair Myths you find and why you think they're not true.

Here are two that drive me really crazy:

Curly Hair Myth #1:  Cut curls every 4-6 weeks religiously to keep ends from losing curl and going straight.

My opinion:  This should never be blanket advice for natural curly hair because every head of curly hair is completely different and should never be trimmed every 4-6 weeks...just because.....

Yes, I agree that naturally curly tresses should be trimmed on a regular basis to keep the ends from getting split, ripped or fuzzy.  However, if the ends are healthy and well cared for they shouldn't be cut "just because". 

So whether your hair needs trimming every three months or once a year, it should all be tied to what your curls need to be healthy and grow.  Unless of course you don't want your curls to grow.

If you are trying to grow your curls so that they form better ringlets then constantly cutting them will revent the curls from growing in. 

Curly Hair Myth #2: 

Curly hair should be layered to make it easier to handle and achieve hairstyles. 

My opinion:  OMG after so many horrendous layered cuts which created a Rosanna Danna cut with the dreaded triangle, I am never going to let anyone give me a layered cut ever again. 

No, no, no.  Find a natural curl expert to cut your hair and whether you go with Ouidad's cut the curls to nestle approach or Lorraine Massey's pull each section down and trim around the perimeter, find someone who doesn't give you the triangle cut.

Please share your curly hair myths.  Thanks in advance.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 1:33pm
Thank you.  Good topic.

#3 - Oiling curly hair nets the same results for everyone.  Not so.  For some, adding oil will actually dry out the scalp and strands.  For others its a great way to condition.

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic