Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GETTING RID OF RED! Help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Whatroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whatroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GETTING RID OF RED! Help please
    Posted: October 09 2010 at 1:57pm
Thank you so much you're a font of amazing hair knowledge.

I'll give the gentler clarifying shampoo a try before the colorfix i think its bubblegum pink now after alot of washing so getting there. There is a really good proffessional supplies shop near me where igot the goldwell colour so i'm sure i'll be able to get a good treatment conditioner there.

My hair is pretty tough thank god!

I will defiantely do a strand test at every stage i dont want to end up like my sister who bleached her hair so much it actually started falling off and breaking leaving her with a total 2 inches : /

Thanks!
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 9:19am

Semipermanent should not be permanant, so you really should not have to bleach that out to get rid of it.  You should be able to remove it using a product like colorfix, or maybe even hurry it along a great deal with a stripping shampoo.  (Some stripping shampoos are these:  Dawn dish liquid; any shampoo mixed half and half with baking soda; any shampoo that calls itself "clarifying").  One of these, or a combination, will likely get you back to orange and bleached, or way closer to it.  You will need to condition REALLY well after using these, they dry your hair out big time.  You may want to buy a heavy conditioner treatment at your beauty supply shop, or do a mayonnaise treatment after using these, and before you go to light blonde.

If you go for the colorfix, (which works with a little peroxide), make sure to rinse it out REALLY well - it shrinks the molecules in the dye and opens the hair shaft, but it won't remove the color alone, the rinsing action does that.

Your hair may come out a funky unnatural color after this, but it should be closer to the range of the orangy blonde and light blonde you had bleached it to before.  If some of it is still very orangy, you may want to lighten up only those parts with bleach before doing the platinum color.  Please test strand!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
Whatroom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whatroom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2010 at 6:00pm
I have short red hair bleached from natural darkest brown up to med orangy blonde and light bleach blonde in places....

I then got bored and stupidly used a lovely dark red semi perm "directions" (rubine) I now want to bleach it out again and get it to a point where i can use the gorgeous "Goldwell Icelandic Blonde 9VR" which is a light pinky grey blonde. I know its going to be a stretch

Did a strand test with 30vol peroxide and bleach powder but its only lightened the red to a disturbing strawberry pink. Though the hair maintained its strength and texture surprisingly well not much in the way of damage at all

How can i get rid of the red (hopefully quickly) Or will i be stuck with my hair stained red forever until it grows out?? I dont want to bleach the c**p out of it without a result so i desperately need some advice! 

Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic