Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

growing out hair, looking for advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
john l View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: growing out hair, looking for advice
    Posted: October 24 2010 at 6:23pm
hi all, new member here. was just looking for some help as i haven't really found anything to help me while searching online. i'm a guy in my 20's growing out my hair, it's at about 5 inches all around right now. i have very thick, dark, slightly curly hair.

anyway, problem is my hair is just physically not that nice anymore for some reason. very dry and dull. literally every time i've ever been to a hair cuttery, the hair cutter has told me i have beautiful hair... but as soon as my hair dries, it gets real dry. i shampoo twice a week, condition on those days, and use moisturizing shampoo from a salon. so i'm looking for some advice as i really can't figure out what's wrong.
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 3:58pm
Try using moisturizing oils on your scalp.  I explore with different types of oils.  Also, try oiling two or three times a week.  I hope this helps!
Shannon D. Bax
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 9:43am
Yeah, oils are great. Also, if you have hard water, a vinegar rinse may help add shine and remove dullness by removing mineral buildup that can stick to your hair when it forms soap scum with shampoo.

Just put like a tablespoon of vinegar in a cup of water and pour it over your head after you condition. The smell will disappear as it dries and it rinses that off.

If you don't know if you have hard water, just try it. If your hair feels noticeably softer after its dry, you have hard water and this is helping. If you see no difference from usual, you have soft water, so this buildup wasn't the problem.

Conditioner can build up too, using a clarifying shampoo once every 2 months or so will remove buildup from that.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
john l View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 6:56pm
i actually did try putting some olive oil in my hair for the first time (sunday). put some in overnight. i've noticed a drastic improvement so far. i haven't shampoo'd, just rinsed monday and conditioned today, but my hair is much better for now. only thing is my hair is much curlier now, so it's a lot harder to manage since its still relatively short. but i'd take messy hair over dry hair any day.
Miss Burgundy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss Burgundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 11:02pm
Glad you found something that's working for you. You might also want to try a leave in conditioner or try leaving in a bit of oil after you wash your hair. Also you can try washing more often, like one extra day a week, but use just conditioner instead of shampoo. It's called "CO". Google "conditioner only washing". Or just replace one of your shampoo washing days with CO. Also, concentrate on just your scalp when washing with shampoo. Don't put it all over your hair (unless your clarifying). The suds will go down the length when you rinse anyways, and it's more gentle that way. Also, on days you don't wash, you could try getting your hair slightly damp with a mister bottle, then applying conditioner or oil like a leave in.

Edited by Miss Burgundy - October 26 2010 at 11:04pm
john l View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john l Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 10:51pm
Just wanted to report back... I've definitely noticed huge improvements. Hair is much softer and less dry looking.

New problem though. I'm trying to grow my hair out (haven't really decided on a length yet). Currently my hair is just over 6" all around. Problem is my hair is incredibly thick with a bit of a curl or wave depending on how it dries. Every hair stylist I've been to says they're jealous of my hair... but I don't get it. It's impossible to get to look nice. It's so thick that it just blows up when it dries instead of hanging down nicely. I'd like to keep growing it out further but it's just starting to look crazier and crazier as it gets longer.

Is there anything I can do? Any way to actually kind of 'de-volumize it'? I've tried anti-friz serum as well as a piecing paste. But neither quite do the job. It's not frizz, its just overall too much body and volume.
zel218 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zel218 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2011 at 1:46am
It's nice to know that a guy like you is also interested in having a long fabulous hair. What I can suggest is you use a conditioner, a leave in protectant and a weekly treatment. Your hair needs more than just shampoo to keep it looking good. Since you've mentioned that it is dried, you can go to the salon and have a hot oil treatment and follow up with maintenance products. :)
Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 3:00pm
Yes, i am very glad that you found something that worked for you.  Yeah, I know the feeling of having messy hair rather than dry hair.  I'd also rather the messy hair over the dry hair too.
Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic