Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How To Oil Curly, Wavy, Kinky Hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rebacca View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How To Oil Curly, Wavy, Kinky Hair
    Posted: December 17 2010 at 6:17am
How to Oil Your Naturally Curly Hair

Oiling your hair the right way is key. Using the proper amount of oil as well as applying it in the correct manner ensures you require much less shampoo to wash it off. Obviously if you have to use a lot of shampoo to wash the oil off your hair it will cancel out the benefit of applying the oil in the first place.

Oiling properly will help to save your time and avoid using too much oil or not using the oil properly.

Follow the generaly steps given below to make sure you use hair oil correctly.  Please share your own oiling tips.

1.  Before applying oil to your hair, you may heat it a little to a warm temperature.

2.  Section your hair while oiling it and gently pat the oil into each section of the hair. To guarantee that oil reaches the scalp properly, make as many individual hair sections as possible. Never just just pour oil directly onto your hair since that will be too much for your scalp to absorb and handle.

Do not use an excessive amount of oil. Start by applying little to each part of head and then massage. Massaging is more important than the quantity of oil used as this ensures that the oil is spread evenly across your scalp.

When oiling your hair ensure that you dip your very clean finger tips in oil and then use your fingers to very gently maneuver your scalp.  Keep in mind that you should never use fingernails on the scalp since this can damage the delicate scalp covering.  Gently pat oil onto the roots of your hair helps improve blood circulation and makes hair silky and strong.

3.  Do not wash hair immediately after oiling. For best results keep your hair oiled for a day. The longer oil stays on your hair the better it is for your scalp.

If you don't like leaving oil in your hair for long periods of time, you can oil it before going to bed and wash off your  hair the next morning when you get up.  Always remember to protect your bedsheets and coverings from oil which can seep from your hair while you sleep.

4.  Oil your hair according to the type of curly hair and its needs.  There is not right or wrong schedule. If your hair is very dry you should oil it at least twice a week or possibly more.  Some hair types only need oil once a month while others need it once or more times a week.

Please share your own hair oiling techniques and tips.

Edited by rebacca - December 17 2010 at 6:18am
Rahulcube View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahulcube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 3:29am
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 8:25pm

When you oil your hair and wash it out it may not be so bad depending on what type of shampoo you use. If you use a gentile sulphate and paraben free shampoo it won’t strip you your hair and you will still be able to retain some of the benefits of the oil treatment after you wash it out.

Also you mentioned warming up the oil and this also depends on what type of oil you use. Some oils respond just fine to heat while others actually lose some of their beneficial properties when they are warmed or heated so you would have to research that when you chose an oil you like.

I have read a lot of information on whether it is best to oil your hair damp or dry. Oil and water don’t mix which of course is true and some people believe this means you should apply oil to dry hair but I also find that trying to get oil evenly distributed on dry hair isn’t easy and can cause tangles.

If you use oils that can be heated however you can apply the oil on damp hair and then sit under a dryer attachment cap or use a plastic shower cap and use heat from your blow dryer to warm the oils so they absorb into your damp hair. This way you also don’t have to leave the oil on for long periods of time or overnight.

I often use more than one oil at a time my favourites being coconut, avocado, macadamia, argan, Moroccan and hemp seed oil. I usually chose two or three of these oils and mix them into a conditioner or deep conditioner. I find that when you mix the oils into a conditioner it is much easier to get an even coating and distribute through the hair; it also makes it a lot easier to comb the oils through your hair with a wide tooth comb.

After I apply the oils and conditioner I put my hair up into a plastic shower cap and I sit under my dryer attachment (heating cap) for at least 40 mins so that the oil is better absorbed into my hair. I got my Conair dryer attachment for about $12 at Sally’s Beauty Supply and also use it for my deep conditioning treatments.

After that I wash the oils and conditioner out of my hair with either just water which gets out the conditioner but still leaves the oil in my hair. If I am wearing an updo the next day I don’t mind leaving the oil in for a while longer, If not I wash the oil out with a sulphate free shampoo which gets it all out but still leaves the benefits of the oil treatment.

I usually do an oil treatment every two weeks and a deep conditioning treatment every week.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic