Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goody supports Locks of Love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 12:48am
Sorry Monica, I didn't mean to offend, I understand your point how it is apples and oranges,..... but there just seemed to be so much HATE towards this organization Locks of Love, it just seemed a little out of whack.
I try to reserve my hatred towards people a little more evil and sadistic than an organization that sells hair.
tina
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 6:37am
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

Elissa! You have a new icon! You're obviously a Disney nut. My sorority big sis had Mickey and Minnie on her wedding cake. :) Not long til your wedding!

Thanks for noticing, SG! The icon is a pic of a figurine I just bought on ebay--I don't know if I will put it on my cake, but guess where we are going on our honeymoon? :) Wedding is in 13 weeks!!!

Elissa
soon to be Mrs. again, this time forever
[/url]

3katz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3katz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 10:46am
Well, Elissa, you're just going to have to post a picture of your wedding hair, aren't you? After this thread I'm going to need something like that.

Jean
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 11:41am
Ok Jean! I am still thinking about it! My fiancee loves it up, but I wear it down most of the time and I want to look like "me" at the wedding. I will probably do some kind of combination of up and down, maybe pull up the sides and twist them around on the top of my head like a bun, maybe add a tiara in front of that.

Guess I will have to start frequenting the "Formal Hair" forum!

Elissa
[/url]

princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 1:48pm
elissa did you see my wedding pic? i did it half up half down. with big loose curls. you can't see the back but i can even put a picture of the back. i put flowers around the half up part.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 2:04pm
Hi Monica

ooooooo Yes!!
Please post more of your wedding hair pics.
I would love to see your pretty half up-down do in more detail.

Thanks
Uzi

rrobey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrobey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 2:57pm
ok, i have to get my 2 cents in. i'm not a long hair girl yet (but am working on it). i only know what i've read about locks of love - i've never researched it myself. the one thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that the hair donated is willingly cut off. no one from locks of love stalks long haired people and attacks them to take their hair. it's a choice.

now i don't mean that to offend or defend anyone or anything. that's just what i was thinking when i was reading all the posts.

becky
Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2003 at 5:38pm
Monica,

Yes, I saw that pic and you look great. I would like to see some more of those wedding pics, especially closer-ups of you (and your hair)! Please post!

Elissa
xoxoxoxox
[/url]

YearoftheTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YearoftheTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2003 at 7:58pm
It's one thing if some freak comes up without warning and hacks off your hair. It's another if it's your own choice to donate/sell your hair. Hair does grow, remember this. Not everyone has all of their self esteem/self being wrapped up in having long hair.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2003 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by YearoftheTiger YearoftheTiger wrote:

It's one thing if some freak comes up without warning and hacks off your hair. It's another if it's your own choice to donate/sell your hair. Hair does grow, remember this. Not everyone has all of their self esteem/self being wrapped up in having long hair.

do you have long hair? this is a LONG HAIR SUPPORT board! yes i think it is wonderful if you want to donate your hair. don't go bashing us because we like having long hair!
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 11:30am
Originally posted by tina m tina m wrote:

I realize I am a short haired woman and don't have an attachment to long hair as some do, but I did have very long hair for years, so I know the pleasure,-(and sometimes the hassle)- of having long hair. And I very much like long hair on people! I love beautiful long hair!

.....But folks, please, it is just hair. And whether LOL is a scam to make money or a genuine charity, they are not cutting off a limb of someone here!

.....I grew up with a girl who lived in my neighborhood and went to my school who was born missing an arm at the shoulder, she only had one arm.
I also knew a girl whose leg quit growing and had to have her leg amputated when she was about ten years old, because one leg grew normally and the other leg was a little leg that quit growing.
These people were missing a limb! Think how difficult that must be. And their limb that is missing doesn't grow back!!! Hair grows back!!!
So sure, I understand that people love their long hair, I like long hair too, but people really need to keep a little perspective on things.

No offense to the many nice people on the long haired board, and I very much respect you and usually enjoy what you write, but this thread seems almost fanatic. Hair does grow back. Those girls I knew back home will always have to go through life missing a limb that doesn't grow back. They are handicapped-(or differently abled)-. I am not handicapped because I have short hair, I can do everything you folks can.

So enjoy your long hair,..........
But people do keep some perspective on things and be grateful for our good fortune and health.

Tina,

The issue is not whether we (people, in general) feel badly for those who are born with debilitating conditions. Of course, we all do.

Rather, the issue here is how we (people, in general) choose to treat others regarding their discretionary choices. Unless you are a professional fund-raiser and have been authorized to solicit a group of people under your auspicies(example: United Way campaigns within corporations), performing charitable works does not involve advising others (family, friends, acquaintances, or strangers] how they can, could or should donate their assets. The latter form of solicitation can only be described as unwanted and extremely rude.

Originally posted by rrobey rrobey wrote:

i only know what i've read about locks of love - i've never researched it myself. the one thing that everyone needs to keep in mind is that the hair donated is willingly cut off. no one from locks of love stalks long haired people and attacks them to take their hair.

Becky,

I have a difficult time reconciling description of haircuts as being done "willingly," with countless examples of (as Uzma described) "tear-filled eyes."
At most, the term "consciously" might apply, though "willing" does not seem consistent with the measure of reluctance expressed through tears.

I understand Monica's irritation. To the person who goes by the handle of "YearoftheTiger," you are incorrect in assuming that everyone (presumably those who participate on this board) have "all of their self esteem/self being wrapped up in having long hair." The tone of your post seems designed to shame all of us into feeling badly for having and wanting long hair, whatever our own personal reasons may be for this appreciation.

"Hair does grow. Remember this."

I don't think we ever forgot this truth. So your point would be... that we should be glad and happy to forgo having the hair length we prefer, so that our hair should sit in a box somewhere, or be glued to the short strands of someone who doesn't have the patience to grow their own hair long, or be used in an unspeakable way by a lonely person with severe social hangups?

No, I don't subscribe to any unsupportive words.

Besides, limitless supplies of artificial hair can be manufactured.

The following is directed to YearoftheTiger and lurkers of like mind... All those here who like long hair, and are supportive of those who do, you are welcome here. Anyone here who is not supportive of long hair is not welcome on this board.
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 1:04pm
I hope I made it clear Dave that I AM supportive of those folks here who enjoy their long hair. I enjoy long hair on people!

To me the diversity of hairstyles on Hair Talk Forum is a great thing. I hope I am supportive of whatever styles people choose for themselves. I enjoy many different hairstyles on people from long to short! Variety is what makes life interesting!
tina
YearoftheTiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YearoftheTiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 1:38pm
I think you missed the point--if people want to sell or donate their hair then let them. I don't know why everyone here takes that so personally. And yes, I really think it seems that most posters here have their whole life wrapped up in their hair. Besides, what does the length of my hair matter to any one of you? If I am bald, am I not allowed to post here? Can I only post here if I have hair to my waist? I'm curious-what would any one of you do if you were to lose your hair to chemotherapy? I think most of you would be very traumatized. So, if someone wants to willingly donate their hair to be used for that purpose, then let them. I think it is great that some people are thinking of others than their own vanity.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 2:14pm

I think you missed the point--if people want to sell or donate their hair then let them. I don't know why everyone here takes that so personally. And yes, I really think it seems that most posters here have their whole life wrapped up in their hair. Besides, what does the length of my hair matter to any one of you? If I am bald, am I not allowed to post here? Can I only post here if I have hair to my waist? I'm curious-what would any one of you do if you were to lose your hair to chemotherapy? I think most of you would be very traumatized. So, if someone wants to willingly donate their hair to be used for that purpose, then let them. I think it is great that some people are thinking of others than their own vanity.

no you are the one missing the point! the point is again i repeat a long hair support board! if you do not support long hair in my opinion you have no business being here! trying to bring in an illiness to prove a point is low.
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 3:19pm
Reading about all of this makes me think of those shows where they get these women with LONG LONG hair on there and they cut it all off.

Let me ask you all this....

IF you knew a child, or adult that was losing their hair from a medical treatment, and you could give them some of your hair, and you knew that it was going to them and only them, would you do it? Maybe through another company besides LOL. I would, and probably not think twice about it. I know it would take time to grow back, but it would grow back.... But that is just me,
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 6:26pm
YearoftheTiger

The length of your hair – or complete lack of it – is not a dependency of your posting on this board.
The support of long hair and those who desire long hair as a goal, is.

Personally, I have undergone chemo twice in my life, experiencing Telogen Effluvium – diffuse hair loss each time. I was not hugely traumatized by these experiences, although undoubtedly disconcerted.
However, I have been damaged by social and individual pressures to cut my hair which at times were brutal in their intensity. Hence my sympathy for those I have seen “donating” their hair to charity while their body language and facial expressions seem to be giving the clear message that it is not a willing donation.
Everyone has the right of self-determination. When society and individuals act as a force to subjugate that right, the person who is the target of their desires becomes a victim. That some women submit their long locks to the scissors is not indication that they are invoking free personal choice. The faces say “No” the scissors say “Yes”.

The point I made about using synthetic hair to make wigs – a much more efficient process than using human hair – has not been satisfactorily answered. Why is long hair the object of such destruction?
IMHO, someone is getting a kick out of seeing women divested of their glory.

As for posters here having their whole lives wrapped up in hair….well, lets see…
If you were to read some of the other boards I frequent, you would think I had my whole life wrapped up in Metaphysics, Primitivism, Gaian hypotheses, Greek mythology, Comix, Nu-Metal music, Expressionist art, Alternative Medicine, etc, etc.
What you see on a specific board is not indicative of the whole personality. That goes for everyone here. Read the regular posters on this board on other boards in this forum for verification.

You mentioned vanity. It is a question of perspective.
Here’s mine.
Nature gave me 2 lungs, 2 kidneys, 1 heart, long hair, 1 brain and 2 eyes.
Each of the above have their purpose.
I would not willingly lose a kidney or a lung. I will not willingly lose my hair.
It is not a matter of vanity.
It is a matter of completeness in the physical form.

Laine1998

Yes, hair grows. But time passes.
You cannot regain lost time at all, nor lost length easily, if ever.
Uzi

Maura View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 8:08pm
My problem with Locks of Love is them not being up front. From what I have seen from news posts to talking to friends who have donated is that the general sentiment is "I didn't want to get rid of my hair but its ok because I know some cancer ridden child will be made happy" The fact that much of the donated hair does not end up on the heads of cancer patients is something the LOL should be upfront about. The fact is the much of the hair is sold or just sits in a warehouse. I don't think anyone would say "I donated my hair so a rich person can buy a wig made from MY hair" The other fact is that the wigs that are made are mostly given to patients suffering from alopecia areata not cancer. LOL does say this on their webpage but if you type in locks of love or hair donation into a search engine and read the pages that come up most of the articles refer to cancer. Further more we don't know exactly how many wigs are being given to children, the small team of people that work for LOL could be making off with a lot of money(that may not be true based on the tax stuff Elissa posted but I did not understand most of that ) Anyway if LOL was upfront about where all the hair was going I would have no problem with the organization. Finally, I realize that most of the untruths may be perpetuated by the media but LOL has made no effort to say what is and isn't true. ok that is my two cents.
-Maura
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 8:12pm

Tina, your participation here has always been respectful of the topic. Don't worry, you're doing fine.

Princessmonica is correct. "YearoftheTiger" is missing the point, and certainly well aware of that fact.... and surely also knows that having long hair is not a requirement to post here. Tina M. has very short hair... hello?

YearoftheTiger... if I lost my hair to chemotherapy I'd be a whole lot more concerned -- traumatized -- about the possibility of losing my life prematurely!

"If someone wants to willingly donate their hair to be used for that purpose..."

How is someone's hair going to cure me? As I said, I'd be mostly concerned about fighting to save my life!

"I think it is great that some people are thinking of others than their own vanity."

Great! Then you surely must have lots of respect for me, because I've given much to charities. But surely you don't have an ounce of vanity in you, because you're entirely selfless.

Since you seem to be full of hypothetical questions, turnabout is fair play... of course by now I wouldn't expect any sincerity from your responses...

"Say, yearofthetiger, that's a real nice house you own. You've been making payments now for what, 10 years already? You must have a lot of equity in it... you know, there are homeless people who are down on their luck who would surely love to have your house... you wouldn't mind giving up your house so that they can live in it, would you?"

"Hey, yearofthetiger, you've worn your hair very short for all the years I've known you. You obviously like having short hair very much. You know, there are cancer-kids who would appreciate having your hair. You wouldn't mind taking the next 4 years growing your hair to your waist, and living all that time with a hair style and length you don't like, for those poor kids, right? After all, why should you be happy with your hair? Besides, that ponytail will probably fetch 50 bucks on the hair market, and that'll be a nice donation sitting unused in the charity's bank account."

Surely you're most willing to do all this, right? Of course, I don't even need to ask.
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 8:28pm
Has anybody else noticed that both "YearoftheTiger" and "Laine1998" both have the same icon and the same point of view? Coincidence or.... ?
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 9:22pm
Whoever "YearoftheTiger" is, obviously the long hair board is for people who enjoy long hair, just as the short hair board is for people who enjoy short hair. I certainly don't like it when people go on the short hair board and try to convince everyone to grow long hair, that long hair is always better,(as some have done, which the short haired lovers don't like). It is a question of common courtesy and understanding what each particular board is about.

It seems silly and useless to me to go on the long hair board and tell people they should cut their hair or keep pushing an issue when people clearly want to drop the subject of cutting their hair.

If people want to donate their hair to Locks of Love, they have that right to do that in a free society,... but obviously the long haired people on this board DON'T want to contribute to Locks of Love, and really don't care for that organization.
So once you understand how they feel about it, why continue to push the subject?

Isn't it obvious that this is the case? Why cause unecessary dissension?
tina
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic