Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goody supports Locks of Love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tina m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 9:29pm
Uzma,
I didn't realize you were sick and had to go through chemo twice! I really hope you are ok now and over whatever illnesses you had.
If you want to talk about it, feel free to.
Everyone here respects you I am sure and wouldn't mind you discussing it if it made you feel better to talk about it.
My very best to you Uzma, I hope you are feeling well darling!
tina
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 9:33pm
aww uzma i'm sorry to hear you went through that one of my cousin's is going through chemo. her her sister[my other cousin obviously] has really long hair. she didn't want her to cut her hair just because she was going to lose hers.
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 9:54pm
Thank you Maura and Dave! That's exactly what I would have said if I had the energy to type that all out.

Except I don't think Laine and YearoftheTiger are the same person. :) And incidentally, their icon is of PsyDuck, a Pokemon whose attack is to stare his foes in the eye and give them a headache. Which this topic is doing to me. Quite appropriate!

Uzi! *hugs* Yikes. Chemo is so awful. I had a friend go through it at age 17. It was terrifying for me to watch her go through it. I can't even imagine how it feels first hand. I'm so glad your survived it! I'm sure it wasn't easy.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by tina m tina m wrote:

Whoever "YearoftheTiger" is, obviously the long hair board is for people who enjoy long hair, just as the short hair board is for people who enjoy short hair. I certainly don't like it when people go on the short hair board and try to convince everyone to grow long hair, that long hair is always better,(as some have done, which the short haired lovers don't like). It is a question of common courtesy and understanding what each particular board is about.

Tina,

If and when you see this happen, would you please b-mail me with the URL of the thread where it occurs? I am not in favor of the type of activity you describe; I believe in being respectful of boundaries. Thanks!
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by SuperGrover SuperGrover wrote:

Thank you Maura and Dave! That's exactly what I would have said if I had the energy to type that all out.

Except I don't think Laine and YearoftheTiger are the same person. :) And incidentally, their icon is of PsyDuck, a Pokemon whose attack is to stare his foes in the eye and give them a headache. Which this topic is doing to me. Quite appropriate!

Uzi! *hugs* Yikes. Chemo is so awful. I had a friend go through it at age 17. It was terrifying for me to watch her go through it. I can't even imagine how it feels first hand. I'm so glad your survived it! I'm sure it wasn't easy.

All I can do is reflect the statements of everybody else who has expressed their sympathy to Uzi. So glad you have overcome the disease and are back!

Thanks SuperGrover. Things got kind of interesting today. And my "rating" has now hit rock bottom. There's only one way to go from here -- up. (I'm not fishing!)
Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2003 at 11:22pm
Rotten family pressure.
Coercion.
Maury Povich. (surely others but MAINLY him)

They use the talk shows way too often because it works, it's all it is, a publicity stunt.

If I had to go through chemo, I would go willingly bald, but it's still my hair, and i'd either keep the tail as a memento or will burn it on the spot. It is NOT something for others to abuse or profit from.

And dying it minimizes the chances of it being used. ESPECIALLY if it's grey.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 2:21am
Thanks everyone for your kindness and good wishes. I wasn't out to push your sympathy buttons.
I was ill at age 9 and then at age 27 - same thing both times. Have good health most of the time, thankfully, but when I fall, its a heavy fall.

Can honestly say that illness and pain have been growth experiences for me. Learnt a lot about how precious (and fragile) life is.
That realization was a great catalyst for many changes - all of them good.

Love to you all,
Uzi

Elissa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 7:11am
Kintaro,

After my mom died of lung cancer (she was 51), I took some of her winter hats and there was hair inside one of them from the chemo. She had beautiful hair, and she was a beautiful person. I did indeed keep some of the hair, it's in an envelope in my memory box. Your comments made me think of this.

My mom probably inspired my love of hair, she loved hair too and loved caring for hers. I guess that's one of the reasons I kept some. Don't know if I'd keep some of my own, though. I sure hope never to find out.

Elissa

[/url]

Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 8:14am
Dave, you should write the Goody Company and tell them that you and several of your friends were just on your way to the store to buy lots of their products when you received their solicitation. You thought it was a splendid idea, so you and all your friends all cut your hair short, and now you thank the Goody Company for saving you lots of money from having to buy all those hair accessories that they sell!

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 9:05pm
Elissa, thank you for sharing this story with us. Some years ago I lost a dear relative of 52, also from cancer. It was very hard. I am fortunate that my parents are still alive and well.

Ah yes, and Jennifer, that was sorta the idea of letting the company know that their decision to support the group is probably bad for their business.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2003 at 9:40pm
Dave, my bet was that it would have a greater impact saying that they did lose business instead of saying that they would lose business!
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 4:20pm
Dave,
I am a definately a much differnet person than the 'year of the tiger' person. I used to come in here much more often but college/work constraints put a hold on my time online! Plus the icon I chose, was the cutest one in my opinion But I have changed that now to help clarify any confusion!

As for my opinion for giving up my hair to someone, I had to cut my mom's hair off when she was going through chemo/radiation. It was a very hard time for both of us, and if I could of given her my hair then, I would of. I really don't know too much about LOL but that is how I came to my opinion on that. Thats all.

I guess I will stay in lurk mode, or try to post more often to avoid confusion
Laine
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2003 at 6:20pm
Originally posted by Laine1998 Laine1998 wrote:

Dave,
I am a definately a much differnet person than the 'year of the tiger' person. I used to come in here much more often but college/work constraints put a hold on my time online! Plus the icon I chose, was the cutest one in my opinion But I have changed that now to help clarify any confusion!

As for my opinion for giving up my hair to someone, I had to cut my mom's hair off when she was going through chemo/radiation. It was a very hard time for both of us, and if I could of given her my hair then, I would of. I really don't know too much about LOL but that is how I came to my opinion on that. Thats all.

I guess I will stay in lurk mode, or try to post more often to avoid confusion
Laine

Hi Laine,

Aww, I'm sorry I questioned your integrity and compelled you to change your icon.

For what it's worth though, I like your new icon.

Please don't be afraid to post or feel you have to lurk. I got caught up in the heat of the moment in dealing with the "YearoftheTiger" troll. (See, one of my somewhat hypocritical moments). I see that you're busy with school and work too, so I hope you visit here and feel free to participate. I promise to try harder to moderate my own posts.
hairalways View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hairalways Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 6:14am
I think I echo everyone's opinion that Lock's of Love is misrepresenting itself. If they took off the "charity label" and advertized themselves as what they are, then maybe people wouild not feel so taken advantage of. I am all for freedom of choice with what one does with their hair. I also understand that sometimes people make sacrifices (in this case of their hair) for what they think is the greater good. I abhor the forceful removal of a person's hair.
I guess I think these companies should be able to tell you exactly where and to whom your hair will be going . Right now, they have no way of telling you what will happen to it once it leaves your person.
If (and I mean it's a long stretch) I were ever able to help someone in this way, I would want to know who it was and if they really wanted/ appreciated it. Just like people who donate organs have this privelege.

I did some reading on this a few months back when my sister told me she wanted to donate her hair to LOL. I learned from what I read (this is just my humble gathering of info)that kids don't benefit as much from the wigs as they do from psychological counciling, That if people really want to make a difference, they could donate money to a childrens' cancer hospital to help provide this service to the children or to donate time to talk to kids in the hospital.

jacqui
Constance View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Constance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 7:52am
A friend of mine has a high school age daughter who was literally harrassed at school because of the intense pressure made upon her to cut her beautiful waist length hair and donate it to Locks of Love. It has become like a cult thing in some high schools for groups of girls to ban together and all get haircuts in the name of "sick kids". My friend did a lot of research and discovered many of the things that you all have mentioned from the fact that very few of the ponytails are actually made into wigs for the kids and in fact the hair is sold and the money used to support the charity.

My friend did not want her beautiful daughter's hair being sold to some stranger anywhere. Or worse, made into a wig for someone else to wear. She was horrified.

Anyway, her daughter resisted the peer pressure to cut off all her hair and she had a pretty bad time of it being called selfish and mean. She would come home in tears.

How sad the whole thing was.

Again, this ties into the misrepresentation of the organization. If they need money to help ill children, then fine but this peer pressure thing is out of control.

Just my 2 cents. Great topic though. Very thought provoking.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 8:23am
I'm very sorry to hear about harassment, Constance. I think it was awful.

Someone made an interesting comment one time about harassing long hairs to donate their hair: should we not suggest that short hairs be strongly encouraged to grow their hair long so they, too, can donate? For people who love their short hair, it may put a new spin on things.

Perhaps this is an odd analogy, but think of long hair as an investment -- like money in the bank. Why should people who didn't save up insist to the people who did save up that they give up their investment?!
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 11:02am
Dave,

Thanks for the compliment of my icon!!! There shouldn't be any other like that, I took that of my dog about a year and a half ago!! lol

Laine
SuperGrover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperGrover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 3:15pm
Constance! What an awful story! High school kids can be so mean sometimes. I hope you friend's daughter will graduate soon and move onto better things. High school is such a drag.

Incidentally, did you ever get those Aerosoles Dollyannas you were talking about last month on the Shoe Board? I know it's off topic, but I just love mine. I wear them all the time, with all kinds of outfits.

Laine, I love your icon! Way better than PsyDuck. Your dog is so cute! And you're obviously a good photographer. Whenever I take pictures of my dog, she almost always comes out looking possessed with big glowing eyes.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 3:26pm
Supergrover,
Thank you!!! I actually took it with our camcorder on the night vision option turned on. It was just a play pic, but I ended up really liking it!!!
Laine
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by Jennifer Jennifer wrote:

Someone made an interesting comment one time about harassing long hairs to donate their hair: should we not suggest that short hairs be strongly encouraged to grow their hair long so they, too, can donate? For people who love their short hair, it may put a new spin on things.

Perhaps this is an odd analogy, but think of long hair as an investment -- like money in the bank. Why should people who didn't save up insist to the people who did save up that they give up their investment?!

Jennifer,

You make good points. If a short-haired person is willing to ask a long-haired person to do without their preferred (long) hairstyle for years, then the short-haired solicitor should be willing to do likewise -- grow their own hair long even though it is contrary to their own taste. Anything less is pure hypocrisy.

And regarding the analogy to investing, I am reminded of that child's story (I can't remember the name) wherein the primary character (a motherly figure) asks the others who wants to contribute to the effort of making bread (or pie, or some such foodstuff). Nobody offers to help, and the primary character makes the break on their own. When it is done, the others clamor for a piece of the bread, but the primary character refuses them, because they didn't do anything of their own to contribute to the cause. Someone help me here with the name of this story... another good analogy also, I think.

And Laine, that is an unusual way of capturing your photo (and I like it).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic