Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Goody supports Locks of Love

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 6:19pm
Dave, it's the Little Red Hen!

After she plants and sows the seeds and grinds the wheat and makes the flour and bread, she then asks, "And who will help me eat the bread?' and of course all her previous pleas for help were denied, so she ate all the bread herself because she did all the work.

It's amazing sometimes what we ask of others yet aren't willing to give ourselves....
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2003 at 6:25pm
Thanks for identifying and clarifying that story, Jennifer.

You say "we"... I know you mean "we" in the general sense... ya know, of all of the dozens of locks of luv pitches I've endured through the past several years, the solicitor has always been of the confirmed (not temporarily) short-haired variety. Coincidence or correlation... ? (maybe this time I'm not mistaken, like I was about Laine)

Chrissy M View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chrissy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2003 at 7:53pm
I get irritated when short haired women tell me I should cut off my hair and donate it. It is my hair and I do NOT want a HAIRCUT, thank you very much!!! I ask what they are doing for the cause and they tell me nothing but bugging me to cut my hair. I mention they could grow theirs and cut it but they reply that they have short hair. I donate my blood several times a year even though I hate needles because I am O negative because they use it for babies. I already give of myself. My hair is a body part, I do not wish to part with because I am still usng it. Recently a good friend suggested that when the short hairs bug me, I should suggest they can donate a kidney, a lung or even a cornea. And then ask if they are even carrying an organ donor card? All are needed by someone desperately every day. Well I tried his suggestion a couple times and they got real quiet. I really owe the guy for the comeback. Do try it, it really works.
ll_insomnia_ll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ll_insomnia_ll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 1:12am
Personally, I think it's selfish to boycott a company just because they support Locks of Love. They really aren't that bad, and it's just hair. The world won't end if you lose a couple inches of your precious locks.
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 1:26am
Quote ersonally, I think it's selfish to boycott a company just because they support Locks of Love.

It's no more selfish than boycotting any other company when we don't agree with their philosophies or actions.
ll_insomnia_ll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ll_insomnia_ll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Jennifer Jennifer wrote:

Quote ersonally, I think it's selfish to boycott a company just because they support Locks of Love.

It's no more selfish than boycotting any other company when we don't agree with their philosophies or actions.

Who said it wasn't selfish to boycott other companies for their actions?

And besides, if you're going to boycott them for supporting Locks of Love, you might as well boycott hair companies that test their products on animals.
no
Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 1:59am
Quote ho said it wasn't selfish to boycott other companies for their actions?

I don't know -- who?

As consumers, it's my opinion that we should be free to spend our money (or not spend our money) where we wish. As individuals, our choices won't all be the same.
uzma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uzma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 6:03am
Quote should suggest they can donate a kidney, a lung or even a cornea. And then ask if they are even carrying an organ donor card? All are needed by someone desperately every day.

That's a terrific come-back Chrissy M .
I now look forward to the day someone asks me to donate my hair for a "good cause"....I will suggest they donate one of their vitals for an even better cause - LOL!!

Thanks!
Uzi

Kintaro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kintaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2003 at 6:10pm
Whoa, that cancer rebuttal is perfect. However, it's more perfect to know that you can still use that argument if you're giving nothing.

I mean, what do others give normally ? Money. Even if it is to fund six-fig scientists to "attempt" to cure cancer, some are truly dedicated, but here's something cruel to think about. Some scientists will only cure cancer if the price is right. So if you are to donate nothing (my body, my choice, plus A+ isn't that useful as a blood type, plus tissue type issues), you can counter the money arguiment with that.

Hello Cruel World. (my drive to live)
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 12:37pm
Oh my gosh! Im so glad Ive not donate my tail to anyone just yet. i was planning on holding on to it and maybe donateing later...but now I just think Ill keep it. When i was little and with short hair I had two dreams for the long hair I one day hoped to have. The first dream was to grow my hair long enough to put in a braid that hung over my shoulder in front and the other was to eventualy cut a long tail of hair to keep (which I just did) and still have hair long enough to concider long and grow out again (I'm there).

So this tail of mine is precious to me even if it isnt attached. I do want to make a hair locket or pendant with one long strand like they used to do with loved ones hair. I know that might sound weird but I want to do that.

Now, everyone who has heard me say I might cut my hair has told me to donate (what do they think I woulkd just throw it away?). And out of guilt and obligation I lie and say "I know about Locks of Love, I wont throw it away"...hinting that it will be donated when i dont want to...even though it IS cut off.

Personaly from what Ive read in these postings i would much rather sell my hair and profit than donate and have my hair not even go to a kid but end up sold anyways. And yes, synthetic hair wigs are available and for kids they are much more reasonable to have since kids are rough on their hair anyways.

Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 12:46pm
tina m,

yes hair does grow back, but alot of these people wouldnt have cut thier hair if not gulited or pressured into it. Muy coworker has a good heart and is thinking about cutting his tail for a locks of love like organization this weekend (dont know if he did it).

His hair is precious to him. He sees it as a spiritual part of who he is and it took him a good while to just get it past high shoulder blades. Him cutting it is truely a scarifice. yes hair grows back, but that doesnt mean we should have little or no feeling about cutting it or being coersed into donateing it.

hes donateing it becaue he wants to help those kids...after reading how most adult hair doesnt get into the kids wigs there is no point to donate if you ask me.

It will take him years to grow it back and get the layers out of his hair if it end up short...and for that matter he is handicapped too (if you count a missing eye) and still he feels strongly and emotionaly about his hair being cut.

Besides people dont go around asking you to donate your leg...

Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 1:01pm
Those who made the point that those short haired people who never grow it long might concider growing it so they can cut it for the kids! GOOD POINT!!!!

Next time anyone solicites me (and most who do have very styled shoulderlenght hair), I will ask them if they are growing their hair out again to donate. Hey if those who want to have long hair are expected to donate why not expect the shorts to become hair factories too and grow thier own out to cut even if they dont like it.

The ONLY time I was ever approched with respect about my hair and donateing was when a woman with hair longer than mine at the time admired it and mentioned that she was cutting hers all off that weekend at a mall charity event. She just wanted to let me know about it in case i was concidering cutting it. I explained that I wasnt sure i was ready for a cut (it was just hip lenght then). She smiled and said "oh you dont have to cut it now. Wait untuil your comfortable with the idea of cutting it and its long enough that you will not have to cut it all off if you dont want". She was very nice.

Everyone else whos approched me has had short hair or medium lenght and have never had really long hair at all.
Erinlynn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Erinlynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 1:09pm
Oh, and if I got cancer (yes Ive thought of this because my aunt and grandma have both had cancer) I would first and foremost be concerned about my life, liveing it to the fullest and surviveing.

As for my hair, the day before I would start any chemo I would get a buzz cut and use my own very long hair plus the saved cuttings of my hair (the recent cut and past cuts) and have a wig of my hair made for me.

Hair is a treasure. hair is very personal. If you find a few strands of someone elses hair around you think "eww ick!" if you find your own its not so bad. Id want a wig of my own hair, not someone elses...or a bunch of bandanas.

Lucky in the us haveing short and shaved heads on women isnt totaly shunned. A woman in my office had cancer and lost her hair. i dont know what she looked like with hair but now that its growing back she looks so chic with inch long hair. Id love to see myself like that even though i wouldnt want to keep it that way.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic