Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

School hairstyles for my long haired son.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Daisy :) View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy :) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: School hairstyles for my long haired son.
    Posted: January 11 2011 at 2:33pm
My son has his straight blond hair down to the bottom of his ribcage, a blunt cut all the away around and he is growing out his bangs, he is about 11 years old, and I need an overall opinion on how I should do his hair in the morning for school. He is used to having it tied up alot, loves his long hair, but I have had some negative looks from other mothers who seem to disaprove of me. Any ideas?
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 12:54pm
Well, I definitely wouldn't worry about what other people think if your son likes it and you do too.

Unfortunately there isn't a lot you can do with boy hair and still have it be "boyish".  The definition of boyish hair seems to be that you don't do anything with it, even if it's long and pretty.  With girls you have so many options with accessories, all the sorts of ponytails and pigtails, braids, and curls.  With a guy, it's pretty much just loose or a simple pony.  Some guys will wear a braid, or even a French braid, but those are pretty much the outer limits as far as guy's hair is concerned.  Of course I say that even though my boyfriend had his hair in both braided pigtails and curls this weekend, but my guy is a bit unusual in that regard.... LOL
Jenny B.
Ricc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 11:00am
Forget what you think the other mothers opinions are. People who go through life trying to satisfy everyone else never succeed and that's certainly not something you want to instill in your child at an early age.

I've a guy who's worn long hair for most of my adult life and I've always found that people are most accepting of my hairstyle when I wear looking clean and neat and in a common style-- even if it's a style commonly seen on women. That said, for elementary school he probably does want to go with the more conservative longer hair looks, as Jenny said. A regular ponytail, a multi-holder ponytail, a half-tail, a single braid and cornrow style braids. You might try some of the less girly looking plastic gadgets. I've always just used black holders, barrettes and stuff myself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy :) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2011 at 12:43pm
Thanks for the comments you guys, I will definitly start to give him less girly haristyles. He should be quite happy with that. What about when doing sport?

Daisy
Jenny-B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenny-B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Daisy :) Daisy :) wrote:

Thanks for the comments you guys, I will definitly start to give him less girly haristyles. He should be quite happy with that. What about when doing sport?

Daisy

Well, for doing any sort of physical activity, you can't beat a braid, especially a French braid.  Holds the hair tight, and it's heavy enough that strands of hair won't flap around.  But again, braids can be percieved as pretty feminine, so take care. 
Jenny B.
Traci_cheer07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traci_cheer07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2011 at 8:42pm
Daisy, I have one word for you:  HEADBANDS. Girly or not, alot of guys including pro athletes wear em these days (I'm talking about 'alice' bands, or skinny stretchy ones that go on top of the head and hold the hair back)....I wouldn't have made it through middle school w/my longhaired one if not for headbands. And with a nice behind the ears style they look cute on boys or girls.

For sports, a high ponytail  w/a stretchy headband is the only way to go.

Good luck!  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daisy :) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2011 at 12:59pm
Thanks Jenny-B, I have tried out your options, and the french braid definitely works best, now I just have to teach my son how to do it himself! But, of course it's risky as you said. I just tie it at the end with a plain balck hairband. Thanks again.

Daisy
dipedric View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dipedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2011 at 2:43pm
The simple truth is that almost any hairstyle that you are comfortable with can be worn in a school environment. This allows you to create your own style while still being able to spend more time on your studies and less time worrying about your hair.
sarahelizabeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahelizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 4:14am
That's right don't worry about what others will say. They don't pay your bills right! So just do what you thi k is best for him.
sarahelizabeth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahelizabeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2014 at 4:18am
That's right. Many famous athletes are wearing headbands now. What was once taboo isn't anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic