Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yellow hair, what to do now? (photo)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
itsgena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsgena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yellow hair, what to do now? (photo)
    Posted: February 12 2011 at 1:23pm
Hello everybody. My original hair color is dark brown, but it was lightened with a hi lift to light brown before I begin my bleaching process to hopefully achieve this silverish frosty ash here: http://www.joeclipart.com/blog/images/2006/05/20060524kimnovak.jpg

I used the bleaching kit called "Ion Color Brilliance Powder Lightener", this was said to be a much gentler (due to mixed with coconut oil) and a QUICKER bleach than most. However, I bleached my LIGHT brown hair 3 times with 30 developer(1st time: 35 min 2nd time: 20 min 3rd time: 55 min)in less than a week and it's at a chicken fat yellow rather than a pale pale yellow. Why is my hair so freaking stubborn? Anyway, the good news is it's not damaged at all due to my hair being very oily naturally combined with conditioners.

Due to the fact that I do not want a pure white, is it okay to stop now and tone with Goldwell 10p? If I need to lighten it even further, instead of bleach, can I just use an Ion hi-lift as a toner since I only need minimal lightening? Or maybe do I use a Wella toner with a 30 developer versus 20 to give more lift? My other plan was to lighten and tone at the same time with Chromasilk Booster 000 with 9.1 Very Light Ash Blonde? I'm kind of stuck at this point; I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 1:30pm
My suggestion would be to tone out some of the yellow and then use a purple shampoo and conditioner such as AG.

itsgena View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itsgena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2011 at 3:31pm
Thanks so much for the reply. So I shouldn't try to aim for more lift and use peroxide based toners? Of course I'm inclined to go the least damaging way possible, which would be using mousse toners, but you're saying I'm light enough at this stage to tone now to achieve that platinum silver-like blonde?
DoctoredLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DoctoredLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2011 at 12:20pm
Looks like it from the picture. Can't give you a 100% yes without seeing in person though.

Dark40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 7:08pm

Or, you could try using plain old real lemon juice for the extra lift.  It naturally lightens your hair when you go out in the sun.  It will cast and cancel out and yellowness or brassiness out of your hair.  But I agree with DoctoredLocks.  You are light enough to tone now.

Shannon D. Bax
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic