Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How to properly take care of hair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
QueenHannah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenHannah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to properly take care of hair?
    Posted: March 13 2011 at 11:49pm

I've decided it's about time I start to actually take care of my hair, as it will definitely pay off in the long run! Only trouble is I have no idea where to start and google isn't quite answering my questions.

Right now all I do is wash my hair with shampoo and conditioner (no particular brand, varies, only ever supermarket brands though) every night in the shower and get the ends cut every six weeks or so. I dye my hair (supermarket dye) once every 2 - 3 months also.

My hair is straight and quite fine. I don't know what 'type' of hair I have, does anyone care to explain the different types and how I would know which one I am? I wash my hair every day as I find showering without washing my hair makes my hair awful and if I don't wash my hair at least every second day it starts looking oily/greasy... not sure if that means I have oily hair or not?

My hair is currently in relatively bad condition, due to getting a botch bleach job done in early 2009 - and no, it wasn't at home, it was actually at an apparently reputable salon who were very happy to give me my $300 bill afterwards. I wouldn't think that's still the cause of it being in bad condition though as it should have all grown out by now, so I don't know what's up... I'm not very harsh on my hair, it's almost never blow dried. I sleep in rollers usually, though I have started straightening my hair on the days I can't be bothered sleeping in rollers... is there anything I should be doing to protect my hair with the straightening?

So to summarise, my questions are:

1. How do I determine my hair type?

2. Is there anything I should be doing to protect my hair when straightening?

3. What hair brushes do I need and when should they be used?

4. Is there anything else I should be doing for my hair? I've heard of people using oils on their hair, deep conditioning etc once a week, can anyone tell me more about those sorts of things?

5. I have my showers at night, often right before bed, so I tie my hair up in a bun. I read something today that said you should never tie your hair up until it's completely dry, is this so?

I think that's it... if it matters at all, my hair is a few inches past my shoulders, just above my boobs.

Thanks! And apologies for the novel :$

Edited by QueenHannah - March 13 2011 at 11:50pm
barbz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barbz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 2:00pm

Wow lol. Ok  yes tying your wet hair in a burn can lead to breakage. wet hair is very fragile and should be dealt with gently.

Use natural boar bristle on a round or flat brush on dry hair it will not tear your hair and will distribute  your hair natural protective oils all over your hair which is especially important to the ends to help fight splitting.
Wet hair use wide toothed plastic comb.
hair type is not really important.(well thats my take so i wouldn't no).
Some times we have to trey to keep our hair healthy py using oils and other things so yes there are extra things you can do for your hair.
hope that helped lol.
check out my blog on hair for futher information.

citytreats View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citytreats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2012 at 8:51am
Maintaining your hair is very easy and very important. In my opinion, taking care of your hair is one aspect you have to look into if you are thinking of possibilities for preventing hair loss. 
AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2012 at 11:00am
My best piece of advice would be to stop using heat on your hair.  It will damage your hair relatively quickly.  Let your hair air dry every time you get the chance.  After you wash your hair use a wide toothed comb to remove the tangles.  If you use elastic bands to pull it back get the ones that have no metal on them.  Stay away from chemicals like the plague!  Bleach and hair color are hard on it. 
lcoffey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcoffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2012 at 1:16am
Shampoo used for the first time gets rid of extra sebum and dirt, shampoo used for the second time cures the hair. Let it be on your hair for some minutes and wash it off thoroughly. Remember that wet hair can be easily damaged, especially when you pull it. Then squeeze the water out of the hair. Then apply a conditioner on the washed hair for about ten minutes. Wash the hair well to get rid of the conditioner.
The procedure of hair wash is long and sometimes tedious, but it is helpful for the health of hair.
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2012 at 12:08am

Hi,

To answer some of your questions

You should always use a heat protectant while styling your hair with heat tools. Heat damage can be a huge issue if you are trying to get your hair healthy so make sure you are using the lowest heat setting possible to achieve your style and use good quality styling tools. Don�t go over your hair with the flat iron too many times and don�t hold the iron on your hair for too long. I use the Tresemme heat tamer spray; this one is very popular and very affordable. The best thing for your hair is to use heat styling tools as little as possible.

To reduce damage you shouldn�t brush your hair very often, brush when necessary and to detangle use a wide took comb which will cause less damage. I find that boar bristle brushes are the best, they don�t tear and break your hair like some of the other brushes and they spread the natural oils and they make your hair feel soft.

Use very good quality products suited to your hair type (dry, color treated, chemically treated, curly, oily ect) for shampoos go with a more natural sulphate free shampoo and try not to shampoo your hair every single day. Get a good quality moisturizing and hydrating conditioner and a good deep conditioner or reconstructing hair mask. I have some great ones posted on my blog. You should deep condition depending on your hair needs. If your hair is in very bad shape, very dry and brittle then once per week is sufficient. If your hair isn�t very damaged then once every two weeks or even once per month is sufficient. It all depends on the state of your hair and what it needs.

Oils can be very beneficial for dry damaged hair, there are tons of them on the market and not all of them work with the same efficiency for everyone so you have to find one that you like and is best for your hair. Start with the basics and most popular like argan, coconut or olive oil.

Usually when your hair is wet it is most fragile and can break more easily but tying your hair up in a bun may not be very detrimental since you aren�t over handling it or brushing it and leaving it down when you sleep, but as a rule be more careful with your hair when it is wet and do your final rinse with cool or cold water to help seal in moisture and shine.

Edited by Karen Shelton - October 06 2014 at 3:02am
kaylayguerra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaylayguerra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2012 at 12:50am
Wow! It is beautiful tips and there are all are for women very useful. I also was finding this type of tips for my hair and you give here so i will follow your suggestion thank you for nice advice.
_______

Edited by Karen Shelton - October 06 2014 at 3:02am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic