Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hiking Boots Or Running Shoes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bhatotia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhatotia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hiking Boots Or Running Shoes?
    Posted: May 31 2011 at 5:09am

Which is better to hike in?  Old running shoes or hiking boots?

Most experts claim that tried-and-true, broken-in shoes will always trump "specialty" shoes.  Its also important to dress comfortably as well as pay attention to where you walk.

Hiking boots are OK if you wear them all the time but not so much if you put them on after not wearing them for months because they will cause blisters.

Some experts below the new shoes that look like barefoot shoes are the best bet but ultimately you have to be the judge.

Edited by Karen Shelton - May 31 2011 at 10:06am
Kirbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kirbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2011 at 9:22pm
Of course hiking boots because that shoes design for such activity on walking on rocky roads and mud soil.
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 4:23am
My ex was into shoes... so if you want to know?
I learned a lot from her, and she was great with shoes... she really was and still is... one of the best!!!  Really!

Hiking boots should be up your ankle.  Any other brand is more of a casual shoe for hiking around.  But, if you are serious about hiking in really rough areas, hiking boots that cover your ankle is the best.

You don't want to find yourself with a broken ankle.  They go for all types of prices... but there a grades.  Type A, B & C.  See is just mass produced, while the others are more serious.

You get what you pay for.

If you are a casual hiker... walmart.
Somewhat serious...  Athletic hiker series...
Real serious... something like TIMBERLAND

It's the quality of the leather and stiching... you go up in price... it lasts a lot longer and has much more of an ankle support....
Guys like me notice!
stevieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2012 at 3:35pm
I've used both. If the terrain is really rugged than I would use hiking boots. But if I'm just out in the woods, walking a path or the area is not too rugged, I use my good old sneakers to hike in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic