Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Natural" Hair Care Products, or Chemical Laden Ones...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
omamalama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omamalama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Natural" Hair Care Products, or Chemical Laden Ones...?
    Posted: September 01 2004 at 2:57am
I've recently been reading up on all the toxic chemicals in personal care, cleaning, and hair products, and am wondering if anyone here has any experience with the so-called "natural" products? Are they effective? I.e. do they work like the good old chemical laden products, or are they just health friendly, but not very effective?

I'm especially looking for a "natural" type mousse that is as effective as the traditional products, yet isn't made with petroleum by-products and other junk that is probably seeping into my pores and into my bloodstream...

Maybe I'm just unjustly paranoid after looking into all these chemicals (of which some of the effects of these chemicals on humans and animals sound just awful), but if there's a "natural" (i.e. no man made/synthetic/petroleum based chemicals) product that is just as effective (or at least almost as effective) then I'd take that route in the blink of an eye.
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 3:12am
I have yet to find a hair color that is natural that will give me the color that I want (3-5 shades lighter than my natural hair color).

I've purchased products from health food stores that were environmentally friendly, but didn't do anything in the way of making my hair look any different. You can get a semi-permanent color to add dimensions, but that's about it as far as I know.

I use the Garnier XL and really like the results, but it's a permanent color and I have to do the roots every three-four weeks because my hair grows VERY fast. It's all dependant upon what you want in regard to results. The colorants that last the shortest amount of time and produce the least amount of change can actually be good for your hair.

Kris :)
aileendq View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aileendq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2004 at 7:57pm
Hi,
I've been using Aubrey Organics for about three weeks now. The shampoos don't lather like others do, mostly because Aubrey doesn't use detergents.
I really like the products, although there are no fragrances, so they don't smell like traditional products, but they don't smell bad, either. Also, they seem to be MUCH less drying to my hair and scalp, which is a problem for me anyway. And, when Aubrey says "natural" they MEAN natural, not like some companies that say they are natural products and only put them in as a gimmick.

Good luck
claribuzz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote claribuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 1:51am
hmm there is this product fro Italy that is called Fruit Tree. Major ingredients in this products comes from natural sutff. I tried the hydrating balm conditioner that is made with coconut milk. Smells yummmmmmy
ARGHH
omamalama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omamalama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2004 at 3:33am
Hmm..Aubrey Organics looks good. I don't see a mousse product and it makes me wonder...is it possible to make an organic mousse? Or are the man made chemicals necessary to create that mousse effect?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic