Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCultish Militants on the Long Hair Board!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cultish Militants on the Long Hair Board!!!
    Posted: July 04 2003 at 3:27pm
Hi Everyone

I was just over on the Short Hair board and guess what…they’re talking about us!!!

I was laughing so hard when I read the following comments that tears were falling onto my keyboard.

Have a read. I’d be interested to know what you think about this stuff……..
Quote here's a certain cultish militancy on the Long Hair board. It's as if it's the people who post there in a battle against the rest of the world. The conspirators want to rob them of long hair and make them ugly because they're jealous and hateful.

With some long hair is about laziness. With long hair, a woman can just put her hair into a ponytail and go out for the day. She doesn’t have to think about styling it or spending the time to gel, blow dry, or get it just right.

Or the reason may be inertia and a lack of imagination. Or a belief that men won’t find them attractive with short hair. It isn’t patience and dedication with all women. I love long hair on women that take the time to style it and wear it down. I know quite a few who just tie it back in a ponytail. What’s the point of long hair if you don’t do anything to make it look good?

Long hair is perceived as more feminine, so a woman is perceived as more confident in her femininity if she’s willing to wear a less feminine haircut. She can’t hide behind her hair.

Long hair, to me, seems to symbolise keeping women in old-fashioned roles and expectations.

Now I have no intention of starting a long hair vs short hair debate – that would be totally pointless. But lets have some fun answering these comments.

Yours in cultish militancy, laziness, lack of imagination, feminine insecurity and old-fashionedness….
Uzi

SuperGrover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 4:26pm
Oh, I thought we were in a battle against the rest of the world. You mean we're not? I guess my cultish militant self will go put away the ammunition.

I would think of something else clever to say, but my inertia and lack of imagination are interfering.

I guess I'll just throw my hair into a ponytail and go take a nap.
"Hair is a part of you. It is not a part of me, because I am a frog." - Kermit the Frog on Sesame Street1b/N/ii ~ ??"/27"/32"
Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 4:33pm
I must be lazy, I tend to not use hairbands (from Goody, so it's also in a way to try to boycott :P ) but bandannas to tie my hair back in a tail. And I'm starting to enjoying tying it much further from the head.

But if I get a gun, I'll take part in this war/militia/guerrilla unit they're portraying us to be.

My feminine side isn't talking to my masculine side anymore, they took part in a suicide pact. All I have left is me.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 4:38pm
A reminder to fortify our position.

You do not say NO to a person with long hair, a successful acting career and a gun, especially when it'S raised and pointing at you.

This picture fit the "Short VS Long stereotype they want to put us in. I kinda like this stereotype though.
I hate all of the following and lots more : Fundamentalists, racists, sexists, fascists, ageists (people saying seniors = senile , kids = stupid , 18 = immature or a combo of them), and bigots for causes yet to receive their own designation.
uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 4:58pm
Lets try these on for size…..

Un-cut Commandos

Grow-long Guerillas

Terminal Tigers

....armed with boar bristle brushes and crocodile clips ...

Yeah, it’s kinda cool to be cultish…hahahahaha.
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 5:44pm
YOU SILLY PEOPLE, PLEASE!!!

I am a short haired woman who really likes many styles of long hair on men and women.
Most of us over on the Short Hair board are VERY cool with long haired folks.

No Middle East conflicts, plesae, between the short hairs and long hairs.

A great man, a great musician and singer who was one of my mother's idols once said in a song, "All we are saying, is give peace a chance"!!!
tina
uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 5:53pm
Hey Tina

Didn't that same great guy also write another song....I think it went something like this..but I'm not sure...

Imagine there's no hair-cuts
It's easy if you try,
No salon below us,
Above us only hair,
Imagine lengthy tresses
growing longer every day...

Just havin' some fun, Tina .

(Hey!! Hope you're not a spy for the other camp!!! Kidding)
Uzi

tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 6:03pm
Even though I wear my hair short Uzma, I enjoy "getting it on" too much with long haired men and women to have any prejudice towards long haired people.

A sexy person is a sexy person, regardless of their hair length.

.....and I am a lovergirl not a fighter!!!
tina
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 6:06pm
Above us only hair..... What????

I'll pass on that one Uzma, I like the nice blue sky like we had here in the midwest this beautiful summer day-(not too hot today, we went to a fourth of July parade and then had an afternoon picnic!)-
tina
3katz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 6:22pm
I prefer the label *infidel* myself; I already know I'm paranoid ( and especially distrustful of stylists), vain, lazy and hopelessly out of touch!
I can't say if my girly-girl self-image is impacted by the length of my hair one way or the other, so I'll have to think about that one. I wish cheap had been included to round out the list.

The poor misguided soul who wrote that has not had long hair, or else had some terrible experience with it, methinks.

You made my day, Uzma! That's too funny!

Jean
3katz
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 6:50pm
3Katz,

Well I'm a little on the "girly-girl" side of things myself, so I don't think long haired women have a monopoly on that-(and nothing wrong with being a girly-girl...... So I don't know much about cars, baseball and football, so what!)-

As far as the person who wrote that statement that Uzma quoted, I believe it was one of the guys on the Short Hair Board who just LOVES women with short hair!-(tee hee!).I think I know which guy it is.

You will have to excuse him, it is his love of short haired women that gives him such a peculiar view of long haired women!
tina
AmandaPanda View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 7:11pm
tina m View Drop Down
Banned
Banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 7:16pm
Nice hair Amanda!
tina
uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 7:35pm
Hmmmm…the Grow-Long Guerillas need a Manifesto!!!
Every militant group has one, I believe.

How about….

We aim to do absolutely nothing[laziness]to prevent the manifestation of extremely[militancy]long hair.

We will “battle the rest of the world”[tick]against the evil of long-hair thievery and and anti-ponytailism[we need an -ism in there].

Hiding[tick]behind our extraordinarily long waterfalls of hair, we shall defend our femininity[tick]– to the last long-haired man among us.

Our poor imaginations[tick]will support our apathy in styling, treating or colouring our hair, and thereby keep it in a healthful state[had to get "“state"”in there].

Proudly, we preserve the old-fashioned[tick]and out-dated belief that “more is more” when it comes to long hair!!

Was that unimaginative enough, folks?
Uzi

DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 7:35pm
Hi everyone!

SuperGrover, you are so funny!

Uzma, I love your re-wording of "Imagine." And I love the "labels" you propose.

Good for you, Kintaro.

Jean, the guy who wrote those comments has very short hair.

I did read those comments on the short hair board several days ago. I think he was irritated by the comments on their board by of one or more of "us."

Dare I bother to rebut his comments, if for nothing more than fun?

Cultish? No. On the contrary, we're generally the societal outcasts. If there's a "cult" of hair length in this society, it is more promoting of short hair than long, even though long hair (on women, anyway) is somewhat more popular these days than it has been in the recent past.

Militant? Perhaps... if only because our choice to have long hair is constantly under siege by members of the cult who demand we surrender our long hair. Every time I wear my hair loose I receive solicitations on behalf of loks uv luv. In recent years, when I've gone on job interviews, I've either been dismissed due simply to my hair (regardless of the impressive resume), or requested to cut my hair to improve my chances for landing a specific job. A couple of weeks ago a woman actually told me that my hair was "out of date." Like I give a darn about conforming to what some stranger thinks is "in style." At least in my encounters, I don't believe the motivation of these others is jealousy or hate. But I have heard numerous encounters of others who have valid reasons to believe their uncomplimentary encounters were based on jealousy.

Re: the "laziness" charge... having hair which can be easily "done" is not a bad thing. Those with short or long hair can be "lazy," if they so choose. A criticism that cuts across hair length, so to speak.

"Lack of imagination?" Ridiculous. In my life I've known about two women with short hair who enjoyed styling their hair in a variety of ways... and countless women with long hair who style their hair in a variety of ways.

On the list of factors that women use to choose their hair length, consideration for what men (most men, or specific types) might like or do like would not be surprising. So what? Women can choose their preferred hair length for any number of reasons. Who would presume to invalidate any of those reasons?

And along similar lines, it is also not the responsibility of women to style their hair to make it "look good" in the eyes of others. If/when women choose to make such efforts, that's great, but it's okay if they don't, too.

As my friend Jennifer Eve has said, "long hair enhances the gender of the wearer."

IMO, a woman is more confident in her femininity if she isn't afraid to embrace it.

"She can't hide behind her hair" ... huh? Yeah, those braids, buns and ponytails sure do hide the face... NOT! Duh!

And keeping women in "old-fashioned roles and expectations"... are "beauty" salons all across the land.

It's fair to say that I disagree with most everything quoted by that poster on the short hair board. Of course, should that come as a surprise to anyone here?

Today is Independence Day.... and, by extension, a day to celebrate independence from salons, and the dogma of the short-haired majority.
uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 7:53pm
Thanks for posting the link, Amanda.

So...gentlemen prefer long-haired brunettes...
alright..Florida, here I come!!!!!

Kinda sucks on the long-haired guy front though.
Huh, if they had used a pic of Dave PlaidPants the results would have been positive!!

Cheers
Uzi

uzma View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 7:58pm
Quote ave said:
a woman actually told me that my hair was "out of date." Like I give a darn about conforming to what some stranger thinks is "in style."

Well Dave, the next time someone makes a statement like that, just inform them that it appears that good manners and good taste are also out-of-date and unstylish in certain sectors of society.

Also warn them that the Grow-long Guerillas will not tolerate any re-buff to their leader.

We only issue one warning due to our inertia......
Uzi

Kintaro View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 8:57pm
and in my case, zero. when people put their foot in their mouth, I shove it down their throat.

--- modus operandi of the Growth Guerilla assasination squad. Members : 1. Answers to DD, Uzi and to the delicious taste of Jolt Cola.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 8:58pm
Love your manifesto, Uzma. And you are right, apparently manners had gone out of style for the woman who "offered" her opinion. At the moment, I was in too good a mood otherwise to respond in kind. Luckily for her.

Actually, from what I can tell, Florida isn't too bad on the long hair front, for women or men. Others who live here (or have visited) can confirm.

I see I've been nominated as militia leader. Let it be known that I do not support or sympathize with any terrorist organizations.

"We" might issue innumerable warnings due to inertia.
Rod View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2003 at 9:52pm
Hmmm. I don't read this board much and have never posted here. When I noticed the subject, I was suspicious. I suppose I should be offended that Uzma has chosen to take something I've written and reposted it out of context. And without even attributing the quote to me! Is that plagarism?

But I seem to be a popular subject. 18 posts in five hours!!! How many people can write something and have that many people respond? Maybe I can give GW a run for his money.

I'll attempt to suppress my outrage. Firstly, I enjoy those who had good fun with my comments. If you can't laugh at yourself, there's something amiss. If you can't laugh at me, there's something really wrong with you.

The post was made in response to a post by Jennifer savaging short hair and those that wear it. Not only was the post negative and combative, but it had no place on a short hair board.

From reading some of your comments, you do sound like an awful lot like a militant cult convinced the world wants you to cut your hair and that you're holding out by banding together in your small corner of the world. Nothing wrong with feeling that way, but you should know how you come off.

I have numerous friends who have long hair. I've probably discussed hair with many of them. No one has ever told me about outside pressure to cut their hair. A few who've talked about cutting their hair short, or actually done it, [Shudder. Should I have mentioned that here?] have never talked about being pressured.

My friend Allison has been on the fence for awhile. I mentioned that if she cuts it, she should donate her ponytail to Wigs For Kids. She never heard of doing that. Maybe not all long haired people are bombarded. And no, she doesn't have to give the ponytail she no longer wants to charity, but it never hurts to hear how you can do something charitible.

My post was in response to Jennifer's remarks that it was easy to chop off hair, but that long hair "requires far more patience and dedication" than short hair. You guys on this board are devoted to your hair. You probably give it patience and dedication. Surely, you can't believe that all people with long hair do the same? That there aren't people out there who have long hair out of laziness, inertia, a lack of imagination, or because they feel they'll be more attractive to the opposite sex?

I've met many people who have long hair for those reasons. Personally, I love long hair on people like my friend Michelle. She cares for her hair. It's gorgeous. She does things with it. It would be a shame for her cut it. Not everyone is like her. And I'm entitled to my opinion about whether I think they should keep it long. I don't have to express it to them and they don't have to listen to me if I do, but I'm entitled to it.

Whether I've had long hair or not, that doesn't mean I can't have that opinion. And yeah, I should have included poor. There are a lot of people in their early 20's that don't get their hair cut for lack of money.

And come on? Everyone isn't jealous of your long hair. But I do envy your sports car, house, spouse, and job.

I now know I'm long hair board enemy #1 and my words have brought you all together just as any great conspiracy leader's words will unite the band of rebels. Keep fighting the good fight. Stop those evil scissor holders!!! And I welcome all beautiful long haired women to seduce me into seeing the error of my ways.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic