Sewing Hair with fishing line

Post Reply Post Reply
Sewing Hair with fishing line
Direct Link To This Post M December 31 2002 at 11:22am  Quote M Quote  Post Reply Reply
I saw a website that described how figure skaters "sew" their hair up with fishing line. It seems that hair pins (which always come out) are very dangerous to skaters. Does anyone have any further information on this. I`d like to try it with my military hair.
Direct Link To This Post Nicole Z January 04 2003 at 1:46am  Quote Nicole Z Quote  Post Reply Reply
Well, the hairpins thing is simple enough...a pin on the ice makes for a bad fall, or if skating in pairs, projectiles. The sewing part, I can only guess at, but here`s what I think. When a pin secures a section of a bun, for example, it usually involves taking a small section of bun hair and a small section of scalp hair and weaving the pin in so that it is secure, and going around the base of the bun. I figure you would do the same thing with a floss threader or a dull needle, except you would use a continuous thread until you made a complete circle around the bun. You would use a loop instead of a single strand so you would have something to tie off to. Or, to wrap around the bun itself to support the fishing line through the bun, just tight enough that there is enough . It actually sounds like a good idea because it would distribute the weight rather nicely, and a continuous thread would be alot more comfortable than pins, and you wouldn`t have to worry about your ends straying out. If you had the time, it would be well worth the effort. And, removing it would be simple enough too. Pull the fishing line knot away from the bun, and either snip the cord carefully or undo the knot, then gently pull the fishing line out. I figure it would go smoothly, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply