Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Relaxed Hair Breaking Off: Should I Chop?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jundian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jundian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Relaxed Hair Breaking Off: Should I Chop?
    Posted: September 16 2011 at 4:33am
I am biracial (caucasian/african american) and have been getting my hair relaxed religiously since my mother let me around my early teen years.

After some soul searching I decided to grow out my natural curls. My hair was mid-back for a while, and as of now my hair is a little bit past my shoulders with about 6-8 inches of natural growth included.

The issue with this, I've realized, is that my relaxed hair is breaking off at the point where it meets my natural hair.  I have a demarcation line. I've tried all different products to manage this, but nothing helps. My hair is also impossible to wear in a style other than a pony-tail without looking really horrible.

I'm wondering if any of you wonderful ladies here have experienced this, and if you have, did you just end up cutting off the relaxed hair? I know it needs to happen eventually and I've been on the fence about cutting my hair for the longest time but I just can't find the push to do it. I would love to hear your stories!

I'd love to know what you've been through! 

Edited by jundian - September 19 2011 at 9:51am
jundian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jundian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 10:25am
I think I posted this in the wrong forum.  Is there a way for it to be moved?
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2011 at 10:29am
Hi,

I moved this for you.  Good luck with your hair.  Lots of great people here with wonderful suggestions.  Hope they can share.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
HeyGirlHey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HeyGirlHey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 10:03am
Nooo. Do everything you can to salvage your hair is what I say! But its up to you. Since ur mixed I think you should have a stylist straighten your new growths with keratin or just buy a kit and do it yourself. Make sure it doesn't have formaldehyde...alot of them have that and that might be more damaging. U need something to coat and strengthen the relaxed part and straighten your curly virgin hair. I think that your best bet. An at home brand u can check out Zelo. Hope this helps and good luck!
jonyyggreg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonyyggreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2011 at 12:31pm
Do aggregate you can to deliver your hair is what I say! But its up to you. Since your alloyed I anticipate you should accept a stylist align your new growths with keratin or just buy a kit and do it yourself. Make abiding it doesn't accept formaldehyde a lot of them accept that and that ability be added damaging.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic