Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Opinions wanted

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Millie1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions wanted
    Posted: October 05 2011 at 7:17pm
Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember that I had my hair cut from long to short back in July, and then had it cut again 5 weeks later. 6 weeks on and I need to get it cut again, but I wanted opinions. Have posted some pictures (some of which are rather hideous but never mind!). The inside ones were taken when I returned from the hairdressers the first time, the outside ones are a week or so after the second time, and I haven't done that much in the way of styling, but I don't tend to really to be honest.

The first time I had it cut it was like this

The second time I couldn't get back to that stylist and really needed to get it cut as I was going away and couldn't see out of my fringe (!!) so went somewhere else. She cut the back quite a lot shorter, more into my neck, and also put a lot more layers in and cut into it more, so it was shorter generally, and she also cut the fringe shorter and cut into that more, and it looked like this (a week and a half later anyway!)

I still don't have any plans to grow it any time soon, so am still looking at short styles. I liked the fringe the first time, but it was in my eyes very soon after getting it cut. I preferred the shorter back of the second time, and more layers stopped it going as flat, although I still find it difficult to get enough width on the sides, rather than them just laying flat. Questions are - which do you prefer? Which stylist would you go back to? Should I keep it this sort of style, or do you have any other suggestions? If I kept it this sort of style I thought about having the sides a bit shorter to try and get some more volume into them, and also thought about having it shorter over my ears - thoughts on that? The second stylist asked if I would ever have a shorter pixie as she thought that would look good, which I would if it would suit me or not? I don't want a super short crop, but don't have a problem with going shorter than it is now - I figure since I have cut off 12 inches, another inch or 2 isn't that big a deal, and I may as well experiment with shorter styles whilst it is short, as at some point I will probably end up growing it again, although not any time soon I don't think. So yes, advice/suggestions/pictures etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 8:11pm
I think you ought to go a little shorter and show those ears and that nape; a style that is more polished.  Something like one of these

and of course, my all time favorite

HAWG

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 8:37pm

I want something a bit 'younger' and more current than most of those pictures if that makes sense? I think some of them look like they are more suited for older women, or they look a little dated. Also my hair is very straight and fine, although there is a lot of it, and so it tends to go flat easily, so it wouldn't stay in a lot of those styles. I do find that a bit of a problem with a lot of styles I see that I like - they often seem to need hair that has a bit of natural body/wave, which mine just doesn't. I can get mine looking good when I have just done it, but it starts to lose volume and go flat very quickly. I was thinking more along the lines of a pixie that can be messed up a bit but I am not sure what exactly. I liked Emma Watson's hair short - the shortest was a bit too short, but I like the style and how it looked when it grew slightly, so maybe a slightly longer version of her cut, but I can't really find a picture. Maybe something a bit like this? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-fbaJR4ekaUY/TdZ0CY5FNaI/AAAAAAAAAGE/aGhC4c4jTAI/s1600/AntmBrittani18Crop-46959760.jpg or http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/realitytv/s128/britains-next-top-model/i356984/britain-and-irelands-next-top-model-c07e06-all-for-eve-nude-photoshoot-juste.html ? I don't know really. I don't know if it would look better to keep it a similar length but go shorter around the ears etc, or go for a generally much shorter cut like those two are, and I don't know if a longer fringe suits my face more than a short one. All so confusing!

HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2011 at 10:20pm
I like both of those that you posted and I also think that a shorter fringe is for you because you have great eyes and you shouldn't hide them.  I'll give it another go on pictures

I'm not suggesting any color change by any means.  Hope you find something you like and when you do, please share; we love pictures.

Edited by HAWG - October 05 2011 at 10:26pm
HAWG
loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 5:13am
I concur...keep the fringe short.  Either one of the pics you posted would work...though there is certainly nothing wrong with your current style...you look great!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 1:39pm
I thought my face might look too long with a short fringe? I might keep my hair a similar style to how it is now at the moment but have the sides a bit shorter so it is cut more around my ears. I am sure I will go for a shorter pixie at some point, but I might try out another cut this kind of length first. I found this picture - I don't like the colour or the random long strands down the left side, but apart from that I like this style http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/full_pic.asp?pic=11813 and I also like this, although there is something about the make up that is offputting and stops me being able to see the hair properly! http://www.ukhairdressers.com/style/full_pic.asp?pic=13934 If I do go shorter I want something that can be a bit messy and choppy rather than something that always looks very neat and styled.

Looking at my pictures, when my hair had been cut by 2 different stylists, do you think 1 stylist is better than the other or not? Trying to decide which to go back to.
Papsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Papsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 4:05pm
I think you should cut your hair shorter than previous times. You should keep a fringe, and have the back and sides cut shorter, over yours ears. Maybe like this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/28838087@N08/5149469903/in/photostream http://www.flickr.com/photos/28838087@N08/5182278808/in/photostream http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyy8COBXTpo

The first pic you post would be great too.

clipperguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clipperguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 4:38pm
yes.  Go shorter... Lose the scrappy fring at the nape of the nect.  get that area a bit closer... The longer pixie cuts will work great.
Ivan
Ivan Zoot
www.zoothair.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 5:42pm
My hairline at the back is a nightmare - I have a horrible cowslick about 2cm above my hairline at the back right, and so they have to cut or clipper that bit out or it makes my hair lie really funny, but even then it doesn't lie right, but because of that I can't really take the back much shorter because there would be a hole where the cowslick is. I am not quite sure how to describe it. When I had it cut last time she did cut the back a lot shorter than the first time - it was cut into my hairline at the nape, but I don't know if it can be shorter than that because of my weird cowslick. I will ask though because that is something I have thought myself. I think I will definitely go shorter at the sides around my ears, and the back if possible, but not go for a really short pixie at the moment. Can do that when I want a change again! Although I frequently change my mind, so who knows! It depends how soon I can get to the hairdresser. Will post photos after though.
Bananapantss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2011 at 8:10pm
I say go for something like the 4th picture that Hawg put up in the second group. It looks like more of a younger persons cut and could be done messy if you want to
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 1:50am
I'd definitely go back to the second stylist - I think the second cut suited your more than the first.  Plus they were making suggestions for alternatives for the future and thus should positively consider your requests.

I love Papsu's first picture (plus vid) and this could easily be changed to a messy style.

Definitely agree that you should go shorter and expose your ears (or just the one if you wanted to try an assymetric do?)

Have fun experimenting and ultimately I think a short pixie would really suit you and would be worth trying at some point.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
manzisofia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manzisofia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 7:43am
Short hair is so hot right now that you really can't go wrong.  I agree with Hawg.  You should definitely go with a cut that shows off your eyes because they are gorgeous.  Clipperguy is also right.  The longer pixie are so easy to style and look great.  Please post whatever new look  you get so we can all see.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2011 at 8:57am
Thanks everyone. I have seen loads of pictures that I really like now - I think I will go for one of the slightly longer ones for now now, and then next time if I want another change I will go for one of the shorter ones. I really like changing my hair and getting different cuts, so if I stick with a longer one for now that still gives me options for changing it again without having to wait for it to grow. When I cut it off from long my only regret was that I missed out all the other changes I could have had in between! Going short was definitely the right thing for me though - it makes a nice change, and it's a bit more uncommon - I have loads of friends with long hair, but not that many with short hair. It's funny though - a few years ago I would never have considered going short.

Thanks for the stylist advice Heratic. I liked both hairdressers, but the first one was about three times the price of the second one, and also a lot further away (20 miles vs 3) so practically it is much easier to go to the second one, and as you said, I did like that she was making suggestions. I didn't really tell her what to do before - I just said it had been going flat and so she cut the back in much shorter to give it more shape and layered it loads and loads more. I liked that she was confident enough to just do it - I hate it when hairdressers ask me non stop how long I want certain bits, as I just want them to make me look good - I don't know how long that layer should be etc!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 12:00pm
I got my hair cut this afternoon. I took in a few pictures but told the stylist to do whatever she wanted - I said I wanted the sides shorter, but that was about it really. I really like it - it is much more of a pixie and it's cute. The pictures I have are a bit rubbish - it looks better in person than it does in the pictures. I will try and get some better ones at some point, but here you are for now. Thank you all for the advice.

loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 1:55pm
WOW!  You just keep getting cuter and cuter.
Heratic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heratic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 3:22pm

Absolutely stunning :) glad you like it.

Its your hair, your choice and your decision
HairStyleDiva View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HairStyleDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 6:00pm
looks great on you, very cute
Go for it change is good, Hair grows back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millie1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 6:29pm
Thank you. I will try and get some better pictures at some point, because they are a bit hideous! I really like it a lot - of the short cuts I have had this is definitely my favourite. I feel like a little pixie!
Jojoswr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jojoswr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2011 at 9:51pm
Looks very sexy, Millie.
orangenoise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangenoise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2011 at 6:40am
Love your cut.  Love the ears cut out.  Love the fringe.  Love everything about it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic