Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

haircut advice (long to medium or short)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pantherscheer10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pantherscheer10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: haircut advice (long to medium or short)
    Posted: February 27 2012 at 5:58pm
i'm 19 and i've had my hair long (about four inches from my waist) and layered for four or five years--and i've been growing it from around shoulder-length since i was six or seven, so that's the last time i had anything close to short hair. i'm kind of tired of it and i want a change, especially because i'm in college and applying for internships and stuff and i think i need to look more professional. i think bobs are really cute, and i'd love to try a medium/longish one, but i really want opinions about how it'll look and i'd rather not ask my friends cause they'll make a big deal out of cutting my hair.

this is a picture of my current hair. it's not actually as reddish as it looks in the picture. it's on the darker side of medium brown, and the natural highlights in it tend to be blond, not red (i've never dyed it and right now i don't plan on it until i need to start covering up grays.) that gives you an idea of the length/style and how i look. my hair is naturally sort of beachy waves with a lot of body, but it straightens really well and i pretty much wear it straight half the time and wavy half the time. it's really important to me to still be able to wear it both ways if i cut it.

some hairstyles i like
hayden panettiere
olivia munn
ashley greene
selena gomez
lizzie olsen
random girl whose hair i really like

here's the thing: i don't like change, so even though i'm pretty sure i'd like my hair once i had it cut, i don't know if i can actually get myself to ask someone to chop it all off--i mean, that's a lot of hair and i'd probably have a heart attack from shock when i first looked in the mirror. but i really think that as i'm moving toward the last half of my college career and looking for internships and stuff, it would be good to have hair that looks more polished and professional. on top of that, i think shorter hair is really cute. i'm just scared to take the plunge because i haven't had my hair short in more than ten years. i'm also a little worried because even though i'm getting sort of bored with having had the same hairstyle for so long and i'd like to look a little more mature and polished, i don't want to cut my hair and then never grow it long again. i guess i'm scared that once i cut it, i won't get it to the same length again? i'm not sure if that made sense.

so here are my questions ( i know i have a ton, but cutting my hair would be a huge deal for me and i haven't had more than a four-inch trim in quite a while so i have a lot of questions): do you personally think i should cut my hair? why or why not? which of the haircuts i posted do you think would look best on me, or is there something else you think would look nice (pic please!)? how do you think my hair will react to being cut, and do you think the waviness and fullness would get out of control at a shorter length? that's a huge concern for me. i don't want to cut my hair short and then find out it mushrooms out because there's nothing weighing it down anymore. does anyone have tips for making getting a fairly drastic cut less of a shock? if i do go in stages, what would you suggest as those stages (specific lengths and even pictures would be so great)?

i wasn't sure if i should post this in the short hair forum, the long hair forum, or here, but i settled here because i don't want just people with long hair telling me not to cut it or people who are short hair fans telling me to cut it. if this wasn't a good choice, please go ahead and move it :)

note: the absolute shortest i'm comfortable going is chin-length (i'd go a little shorter in the back, but not much--my hairline grows fairly low and i have zero interest in something that would involve a super-short nape or anything), so please don't suggest pixies, crops, etc. some girls totally rock them, but they aren't a style i'd like on myself because they don't fit with my personality or the image i convey, plus they're just way too short for me to even consider at this point.

anyway, i'd love opinions from absolutely anyone! stories of people who have done this and lived to tell the tale are especially welcome, and professional opinions would be wonderful, since i don't have a particular stylist to consult.

thanks so much, and sorry for getting so wordy! i'm just a rambler and this is important, so i wanted to be as specific as possible.
Christina

loveshorthair View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote loveshorthair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 7:26pm
I like the random girl or selena...
Donate your hair or you could even sell it...if you need money.
Keep us updated
bnbivi00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bnbivi00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 8:48pm
Honestly, I look at your hair and your face and see you could do about any cut/color you wanted. You have that look. I think the biggest concern is your emotions and being willing to let go and see what happens.....not being in control. I would be more than willing to email you back and forth and do a consultation with you on what might work best for you and your hair. I am unsure where you are located in the USA so not sure of the feasibility of that but I am more than willing if you are. if you would like that, please send me a message via private messenger and we can figure out the best way of communication. I have done hair professionally for 15+ years and have lots of experience in Locks of Love/Wigs for Kids donations.
Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained
HAWG View Drop Down
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HAWG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 12:58pm
You could do just about anything like bnbivi00 says and I understand how difficult this is for you.  I like Ashley Greene's style you posted and think that would look awesome on you.  Good luck with your adventure and please let us know how it ends.
HAWG
Bananapantss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bananapantss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 7:37pm
I think you should try it. It's always fun to try it at least one time (not counting as a kid) and it does grow back, and I would say go for something like this:
http://officialchelseastaub.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/SHORTHAIR.jpg
Or if that's too short then maybe just a slightly longer version of it. And I would say if you want to donate it then just cut it all off and donate it, or you can also go in stages if you're absolutely terrified, but I think that would make for a greater chance in you just cutting off some of it and then stopping and just having it slightly shorter than now
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 7:12am
Go for it, it WILL grow back, it is super fun to change it up now and then!
Ashley Greene = absolutely perfect on YOU!

Edited by lovebobs - February 29 2012 at 7:14am
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 7:17am
You could always try short (just above the eyebrow) BLUNT bangs as an alternative, they go AMAZINGLY WELL with long hair. If you still want the bob after that, then you know it is something in you and you'll have to do it for YOU.
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 2:43pm
     Honestly, every inch of your hair looks great. You look really young, however, and I understand the excitement of a planned change.
     Here's my idea. Wear it up for at least a month, and then wear it loose again. If you STILL yearn for a cut, then it is probably the right choice for you. Frankly, I think that bobs usually look better off the shoulders, but that makes for a much longer grow-out when you are ready. All the best.
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 3:42pm
Yes, your hair looks great long like that and very sexy.  (And I LOVE long hair.)  But let's look at a few things.  Can you get away with it?

Yes.  The long bob right to the shoulders would be excellent.  You have a specific face and pretty eyes that will make it work.  If it becomes to poofy it can be thinned out to lay right.  Interesting things happen with bobs.  Hair tends to move around and flirt with yur shoulders neck and eyes becasue it's light.,  This always drives me crazy becasue it makes eyes look  more mysterious to me.  Yet, just a bit of a breeze and bangs get in your eyes... but, I think it's worth it.

Cutting long hair is not an easy task.  Even though a pair of scissors god "SNIP" and it's done, the finality of it is shocking.  If you change your mind... you have years to wait until it grows back.  It's not like trying something on and then taking it off when you don't like it and be back to your normal self.

So, this has to be done carefully post 1
Guys like me notice!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 3:54pm
Post 2:

You get trims all the time.  So?  Get a trim and just take off 6 inches.  Your hair is so long, 6 inches is a difference, but safe.  Find a friend and just let them use there eye, and cut that much off.  (at least split ends will be gone... see you already gained something.  Take your mind off of hair for a while... (I know it's not easy... I know hair sexy to me and it'sd like impossible to do that...)

Do you like that trim.  Can live with it.  If you tried to take a little more off is it ok?  You see, when something gradual happens and you wait, the odds are you can accept it, if its gradual.  If you are still nervous about your being shorter.  That is far as you go!

But, if those 6 inches were OK and you feel the same... try 3 inches of... and just casually do the same.  Live with it.  If it's horrible... three inches takes only a coupld months and it's back.  But, if it's acceptable and you like that lenght and could live withit.  Experiment.  Do this process until you have the bob.  Or better a couple inches before it.  Go to the hairstylist and consider the type of cut, underlaying bangs... etc.

The try it.  It takes time... but it's very safe.  If you are more adventurous than this... cut more off.

As far as me.  I die hard guy who finds Long hair sexy and comments on shorter hair.  I look for, the face, the eyes, the shoulders, neck to see how hair will play and ... most important... WIll I love it?  You definitely can get away with it.
Guys like me notice!
JerkyFlea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JerkyFlea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 4:02pm
I'm not jumping in to recommend one way or the other right now, but just to correct Sparrow's math: Hair grows, on average, about 1/2 inch per month.  So 3 inches = about 6 months, not "a couple" (which I always read as "2"). Smile

As usual,
JF
3 pm is simultaneously too late and too early to start anything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 5:32pm
It also depends on race, nationality, hair type...and so on.  The growing part of the growth cycle is different for each individual before dormancy happens and a new hair strand forms in the follicle and pushes the old hair out.  Some women have such a a much longer growing cycle and quicker growing time.  Some have a very short growing time that their hair can barely make to the shoulders before the strand falls out to be replaced by a new one.

I know...I dated a girl who had a short growing cycle.

If you have a short growing cycle and you are trying to grow hair long... it's an uphill battle.  It grows so slow that protein and oil treatments are necessary since the tissue is very old.  With out it, the hair will no longer stay healthy and split ends will form.  Then they will eventually need to be cut.

But by her picture, she has beautiful long hair... even though some split ends were there, it is a forgone conclusion she hasd a fast hair growth cycle.

Hair growth cycles are always obtained by AVERAGES oover many people.  The common growth cycle doesn't always apply.  She is young.  Young woman have a better chance of having longer growth cycles.

Growth cycles can be averaged.  But averages are averages.  TO gert the length she has now, with the health that is shown in the picture, I'm sure she has a faster than normal growth cycle.  If she didn't, her hair woulds not be that long!
Guys like me notice!
OH2TX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OH2TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 6:17am

I think all of the pics you have posted are great options,  but ultimately, you have to decide what you are most comfortable with doing & how you want to proceed.   

Over the years, I have gradually went shorter and shorter.  For me, I needed to do it gradually to adjust to the changes.  (a few inches here, a few inches there)  Eventually I will probably try out a shorter cut like a pixie but for now, I am just "experimenting" with different lengths/styles.

Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2012 at 12:29pm

I think all the styles look nice, I have always thought Selena’s hair was nice. It will be a huge change but I think you can pull it off since you have thick hair and it would look full of body and be healthy when you get rid of some of older portions of hair at the ends. Hair grows back, it would take a long time to get back the length but you would also get a chance to enjoy all the stages and lengths in-between if you did decide to grow it back. If you are a bit worried about the change you can try something shorter but not too short like just below the shoulders, and if you like that you can keep it or chose to go shorter if you are comfortable with it. You don’t have to chop it off all at once you can give yourself time to get use to the change in small increments.

Snipette View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snipette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 9:27am
The days of short hair and professional are past. You can still have long hair and be professional. So if you want to keep it long then do. However you seem to wanting a change at the same time. In which case i like the Olivia Munn picture the best with ashley green as a close second. Depending on the hours of your internship shorter hair may be more practical. If in the future you can't grow the length, hair extensions are always a good substitute until it does grow. Let us know what you decide, and if you cut it how you get on. Goodluck.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic