Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Cold water

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote   Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cold water
    Posted: January 04 2005 at 5:02am
I've heard a lot of people raving about how cold water is great for the hair. I often have cold showers for other reasons (as cold as my shower will go) and I was wondering if using cold water 100% of the time (on the hair) would be good or bad? Should warm/hot water be used on the hair on occasion? Or is using cold water on the hair 100% of the time fine?
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 7:54am
If I'm not mistaken, cold water keeps the cuticle lying flat, whereas heat and moisture help open it up, resulting in a duller look. It's alright to wash hair with warm (not hot) water, just make sure to rinse cold.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
  View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote   Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2005 at 8:19pm
Thanks a lot =)

If anyone else has any information on the topic, please share.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 6:54am
I agree, and cold water as a final rinse also closes your pores, which if you have oily skin or large pores is a very good thing. It will keep your skin and hair from getting oily looking as fast.
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
AnaisSatin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnaisSatin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2005 at 7:48pm
I agree with Supersugar and Susan, just wanted to add some...

Another big issue here, besides keeping the cuticle flat (because it probably opens back up anyway with room temperature), is the fact that heat tends to make hair proteins warp. Too much heat can cause top-layer strands to warp in a way that is not noticeable until the hair is wet, making the hair dry unevenly within the strand itself. Or.. in extreme cases, making the strand permanently warped/kinky while dry.

Anais
my LJ, 40 inches long
Philip G Sodemann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philip G Sodemann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 5:50am
What about the strands. Her hair needs moisture that can not be found from the folicles. What will cold water do?

I heard that rain water is great. It''s basically distilled water. There is nothing to contiminate the hair strand.

I could see the benefits of the folicles.. but what about the rest of her hair which has been shampooed and conditioned... with what? and done again...

See my drift.

Frolickes are great.. but.. what about her head of hair? Cold....

Sorry..my biology knowledge says cold is tight and after the fact.. the same.

Warm.. not supper hot would allow the hydtrating oils to come in and repair the strands so her own head of hair would be able to uncompass it.

Warm rain wter.. distilled with natural minerals could the trick.. but cold. You need to open up theose strands for hydrating copnditioner to come in.

It''s common sense.

Yet.. I''m just an idiot... as usual!

Sparrow
Supersugar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Supersugar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 8:06am
Uh...yeah. Given the state of rainwater in certain parts of the US, that could potentially be a very poor choice.

Also, it's not as if the hair shaft is now completely locked down because of the cold water. The point is simply to help the cuticle lay back down with a final rinse. By combing hair, you spread the oil from the scalp back onto the hair shaft anyway.
Make every day you have count, before the time comes for you to count every day you have.
Sparrowhawk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 8:58am
Sorry... I can't help myself.

Like I didn't know that?

If you want technical try baby water.. it is even screened for viruses.

The point is if her hair iis 4 or 5 years old... you can brush it to death to bring down narural oils.

I think she wants somewthing to make it supple know.

Suggest somothing that would actually help her?

eKatherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eKatherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Philip G Sodemann Philip G Sodemann wrote:

Frolickes are great..

Yes, indeed.

Just looking for a few good hair slaves - is that too much to ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic