Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Job hunt dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SilverToKnees+ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SilverToKnees+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Job hunt dilemma
    Posted: March 28 2012 at 1:26pm
Hi, y'all!
I guess what I'm really hoping is for somebody to tell me what I really want to hear: "It doesn't matter what THEY want, it's what YOU want!"LOL But I know that's not what I NEED to hear, so . . .
I lost my job recently, after 8-1/2 years (new G.M. doesn't believe in women working in the semi-truck/trailer industry [yeah, believe it!]), anyway, I just turned 50 in December (strike 1, I know); I've never colored my hair, so it goes from silver/white at my head and gradually darkens to my original chestnut brown about half way down (strike #2!), but the "worst" thing (my strike #3, according to all the advice on the Job hunting websites) is that my hair is just past my knees. (It just grows! I was born with a full head of hair [to my neck]. My mother used to try having it thinned [she learned her lessonCry]. I've had pixies, but started wearing it long [just below my shoulder blades] & curly permed starting in the early 80's until about 12 years ago, when I really just stopped perming & cutting. Now I only wash it once or sometimes twice a week with Mane and Tail shampoo & conditioner [to avoid washing out the natural oils] and my husband [whose hair is to his waist at age 56!] trims off 8 - 12" about once a year, or so, mostly split ends. It's full & thick, though I don't see how, with the unbelievable amounts of hair I leave in my brush, the shower; everywhere!!)
Anyway, my dilemma: All the "Career Advice" websites advise that in today's job market, in order to appear younger I need to cut & dye my hair! The dying part bothers me a little, just because it would take A LOT (#1), it's expensive (#2), & (#3) I don't believe there's any brand out there that looks 100% natural AND (#4, I just thought of this) as fast as my hair grows, I'd have to re-do my roots every few weeks! (Unless somebody out there knows a better way, hint, hint?Wink) As far as the length, I think I could try styling it (right now, barrettes, ponytails & the occasional really BIG bunEmbarrassed), if only I could find some styling aids made with super, duper long (and thick!) hair in mind.
Any suggestions?
Help, please?
Thanks!
Sparrowhawk1161 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparrowhawk1161 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2012 at 7:04pm
Yes, the job market for women with long hair.  If you cut your hair so you can color it, you are in the salon every morning to do touch ups.  Yet, long hair just keeps growing and all the other women say they wish their hair could just grow like that.

Yikes.

THe secret to the job market is to look like you want the job, and professional.  A bun might make you look to old... so, something that is out of the way so the interviewer is looking into your eyes, yet fun and young enough to give that energetic look that makes them feel you are a go getter.

I would suggest braiding your hair.  Braids can be boring, yes, unless you make it interesting.  Not elaborate, but interesting when you tyrn your head.  When you look back straight, it's out of the way.  A "french braid" with long hair can work.  You can create it the "normal" way or the "outy" way.  The neet part is the tuck under.  Take the end tail and fascinate under the nape of your neck where the frenchbraid forms a pocket.  Now you don't have this long rope to contend with or an interviewer to notice behind your back.

You have spunk, sass and wisdom.  Oh no wisdom... the white in your hair.  To correct this might take king's ransom!  But, this is where you go beyond hairstyle into showman ship.  Getting a job is like selling yourself.  No not like a brothel... selling what you are to a company.  Never lean back and cross your legs, always sit upright and lean forward.  Have your own questions ready.  Summarize the interviewers rambling so you look like you are sharp.

The point is that white and other tones can be very attractive and such long hair took a long time to grow and, even guys know that, so your hair is special.  Working with your hair so it works for you and not against you is important.  It can be done.
Guys like me notice!
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2012 at 3:04pm
     Please don't cut. Gotta go now. Be back Monday. Bob
Bob S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2012 at 2:37pm
     Personally, I like braided hair doubled at the base of the neck. For different buns, see Cinnamon Hair's youtube videos. Everything the woman does with her hair looks classy. If you think that pulled-back hair looks too severe on you, TINY bit of fringe in the front should work. There is no reason to cut your length if you love it, (and you should)! You've earned it!
     Think about it. Any employer who would refuse to hire you b/c of your long hair has to be a goof. To me, it shows perseverence. Bob
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2012 at 5:35pm

I don’t think any employer should be judging you based on your hair, but unfortunately we do live in a superficial society where first impressions and looks matter. I think if you don’t want to dye it then try some elegant styles try to keep it back and neat looking.

If you do want to try the dye I agree, dying will mean a lot of upkeep and work. You can try to dye it yourself at home, or maybe ask a friend who has some experience with dying hair to come over and help you if you are concerned about the financial burden of it. Whether you chose to go to a salon or do it yourself make sure you use good quality dye, many hair dyes can be harsh and harmful to your hair, especially with extended use. There are a lot of hair dyes on the market now that claim to have moisturizing products and conditioners in them to help prevent all the negative side effects of the dye. Also you may have to use a shampoo and conditioner that is specifically for color treated hair if you do chose to dye it, they have many of them on the market now along with sulphate free more gentle shampoos that may help you keep the color longer and prolong the dying process.

In the end if you want your hair cut and dyed for a new look then go for it but don’t do it solely  based on someone else’s superficial ideals of what you should look like because in the end you may not happy with the results and it may not guarantee you a job.

Good Luck.  

stevieb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2012 at 11:33am
I would sue them. What a lousy reason for firing someone. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic