Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help! Advice needed I have extremely damaged hair
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help! Advice needed I have extremely damaged hair

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JD2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help! Advice needed I have extremely damaged hair
    Posted: April 03 2012 at 10:35pm
Help!  I just moved to a new city and wanted a change so I found a stylist and went in with naturally dark brown and light brown/blonde highlights asked her to take my current highlights and go lighter, brighter and more dramatic blonde.  I have almost complete blonde hair on the top, white/blonde chunks on each side near my ears on the under side of my hair.  While the color looks a little odd because the stylist didn't go all the way to the roots the bigger issues is my hair is extremely chemically damaged, dry, brittle and falling out.  Its got so much prodcut build up I can't get a brush, flat iron or curling through it, its so stiff and hard.  I can't run my hands through it and even in the shower its knotted and tangled conditioner barely helps!  I have super expensive shampoo and conditioner, morocan oil my hair drinks but my hair is just ruined!  Help help!  What can I do to fix this mess I created?
JamieD
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2012 at 12:26am

Sometimes when you do a lot of damage to your hair and the hair follicle is damaged all the way through it cannot be undone by any products. Dying your hair and chemically treating your hair in any way will do more harm than good. It’s hard to say if the damage you have

can be repaired, but you definitely need to stop dying, give your  hair a break for a while try to regain some moisture and then to avoid having to dye it again I would suggest that you go back to your original natural hair color.

I’d also suggest that you keep up with the conditioners especially the deep conditioners, leave it on for a long time hours or overnight if need be and keep doing the oil treatments Moroccan or coconut; you may not see results right away but keep at it, it takes time. On the Nexxus site I read a lot of customer reviews for the deep conditioner that I have the Nexxus Humectress where people said that it helped restore their chemically treated, bleached and dyed hair, I can’t guarantee anything of course but you could give it a try.

Also I’d suggest going to a hair stylist, a good one and consulting with them about the damage, there may be professional treatments they could do to help.

Stop using harsh shampoos; use ones with no sulphates because you don’t need to strip your hair anymore than it is and try shampooing you hair less.

Try doing over night deep conditioning and reconstructoring treatments such as hair masques, they can greatly help to improve the condition of your hair. I use the Macadamia Deep Repair Hair Masque and again for many people it works wonders, not sure if it will work for you specifically but you can do some research.

Do not use any heat on your hair, no blow dryers, curling irons or flat irons until you start to see improvement, using heat will only add to the damage and when you wash your hair use cold water.

If your hair is falling out you can try to combat this with a root stimulating shampoo or a shampoo and conditioner specifically designed to help stop hair loss, you don’t want your hair to get thinner and looked damage. Do some research on this online or ask at your beauty supply store.

Try not to brush and comb your hair very much until you see improvement, you don’t want to do anything that will break the hair any more.

You won’t be able to undo the damage overnight unfortunately, but there are steps you can take to make your hair look better, it will take time for your hair to recover and if the damage can’t be undone over time focus on growing healthier hair and slowly trimming off the damages parts.

Good Luck.

Rhondarenay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhondarenay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2012 at 8:26pm
Hi there,

My name is Rhonda and I am  recent graduate of cosmetology school.  Getting a good conditioner that you leave in for like 20 min. that is deep penatrating would help.  Your hair is overprocessed and pourous because of that.  Your best bet is to get a deep penatrating conditioner that you leave in your hair or one that you wash out in 20 min.  It doesn't have to be expensive.  I use Ion from Sallies in a white and red bottle when I need some TLC with my hair.  Other than that let your roots grow out enough where you can get it cut in a cute short hairstyle.  Sometimes you go too far with hair and can't repair the damage and have to start over.  The conditioner will improve your hair somewhat but it won't totaly repair it to what you want. 

Rhonda
just studious and a lover of hard work and truth
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic