Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vintage Hair Styling Book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JanetCirminiel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JanetCirminiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage Hair Styling Book
    Posted: July 02 2012 at 6:19am

Style Me Vintage: Hair: Easy Step-by-Step Techniques for Creating Classic Hairstyles 

[Hardcover]

Style%20Me%20Vintage:%20Hair:%20Easy%20Step-by-Step%20Techniques%20for%20Creating%20Classic%20Hairstyles

New from $10.80

Used from $10.24

I love Vintage hairstyles.  I always have.  I think when they are done right, they can be very beautiful and unique. 

With all the interest in Marilyn Monroe, this book helps you re-create hairstyles from her era.  It also is filled with step-by-step instructions, tips, techniques and detailed photos of styles from the 1930s to the 1960s.

Your hair can look like a glamorous version of Veronica Lake, Rita Hayworth or Brigitte Bardot.

This book is timely, especially with the popularity of TV's Mad Men and all the classic iconic hairstyles showcased on that program.  Finger waves and bouffants are included.

The breakdown of the various hairstyles provided with step by step details from the various periods include:

*20s*
Finger Waves & Pin Curls

*40s*
Forties Waves (The Peek-a-boo)
Victory Rolls
The Poodle

*50s*
Fringe Roll (The VV)
Fifties Set (The Marilyn)
Quiffs (The Pompadour)

*60s*
Beehive (The Joan)
Beehive (The Brigitte)
Bouffant (The Jackie O)
Barbarella

I really enjoyed this book but I would say that some beginners who are not highly skilled or experienced doing their own hair might find the book difficult to follow.

However, it is a great resource to use the images to take to your own hairstylist to ask them to recreate the hairstyle on your own hair.

The author of this book is a hairstylist and has also written Vintage Hairstyling:  Retro Styles with Step-by-Step Techniques.

In some respects this is a great book for new hairstylists who want to learn additional hairstyles or love the retro styles.

Many of the stars in Hollywood favor retro hairstyles like Christina Aguilera.

I recommend both books.  However if you are not sure, be sure to buy the cheapest used book possible in case you don't like the book.  Or check it out of the library to see if you can follow the instructions.

The reviews on this book are mixed but I think because it's a very personal type of hairstyling book rather than highly detailed. 

Have you looked at this book?  What do you think?  Do you love vintage hairstyling?

Edited by JanetCirminiel - July 02 2012 at 6:22am
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2012 at 4:58pm

Hi,

I don’t know much about vintage hairstyles but I have seen them in older pictures of celebrity women and even now some stars chose the vintage look for music videos. I think it looks nice on some women, very classy and chic but for myself I don’t think I would go there.

Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2012 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Ericachristina Ericachristina wrote:

Hi,

I don’t know much about vintage hairstyles but I have seen them in older pictures of celebrity women and even now some stars chose the vintage look for music videos. I think it looks nice on some women, very classy and chic but for myself I don’t think I would go there.

Hi Erica,

I completely agree.  Stars and celebrities often have top hairstylists at their fingertips to create the vintage hairstyles which can be tricky at times. 

IMHO if a vintage hairstyle is executed with precision it can be gorgeous, but when done in a sloppy manner, it can be horrendous.  Also, I agree that not all people can pull off vintage.  Especially some of the more exaggerated ones.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Ricc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 11:18am
Oh my God I've got to have this book! I'm ordering it now.

I'll agree that retro roller set and sprayed styles are not for everyone-- or for everyone all the time. Still, they can be super fun if you give yourself some experimentation time to work our your look and your techniques. If nothing else, they can be great for special occasions, costumes/cosplay or whatever. I've attempted several of the styles mentioned and bit of quality instruction would have certainly been helpful.

BTW, I see that "Style Me Vintage" is a book series. There's also "Style Me Vintage: Make Up: Easy Step-by-Step Techniques for Creating Classic Looks", "Style Me Vintage: Clothes: A Guide to Sourcing and Creating Retro Looks" and "Style Me Vintage: The Complete Guide to Creating a Retro Look: Hair, Make-up, Clothes".

I wanz!
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2012 at 1:08pm
Hi Ricc,
I think you might be able to get a used copy for less on Amazon.  When I was in cosmetology school I had a terrible time with traditional finger waves but this book has some great styles with good details. 

Let us know what you think when you get it.   Have a great weekend.
That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
BrazilianH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrazilianH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:50am
Hi,

I don’t know about vintage hairstyles, so you can give more information of vintage hairstyles.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic