Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All over blonde highlights!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ticktickatick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ticktickatick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All over blonde highlights!
    Posted: July 17 2012 at 5:03pm
Two years ago I decided to go all over blonde through highlights (all over color looks too flat to me). Hair is naturally a light mousy brown.

My hair lifts pretty quick. After 2 session of all over highlights, my hair was BLONDE. Now I go in every 6-8 weeks and JUST get my roots highlighted. This has kept my hair pretty healthy.

Here is the thing. I love how my blonde hair looks about 5 inches down from the roots, but I never like how the roots look. My just-walked-out-of-the-salon roots show a LOT of brown. Not a brown "root line" but a lot of brown streaks with the blonde. By the second trip, the last session of roots gets a little bit of overlap from the new session of roots, so that's why 5 inches down from my scalp it looks perfect.

HOW do I get my stylist to cover MORE of my root hair in highlights? I have been to different stylists, some who are their salon's "color expert" and are quite expensive. These are good colorists. But I'm not communicating something the right way.

Here is the picture I show them. This is what my hair looks like 5 inches down from the scalp.

I say, I want my roots to look like the blonde in this picture. You'd think a picture would say a 1000 words, but instead of bright blonde roots, I get mostly brown with fine blonde streaks.

What do I have to say to make it crystal clear what I want--since a picture isn't doing it? Do I need to get a thicker weave (they usually do small strands of hair in each foil)? Do I need to specifically request a crapload of foils? Do I need to scream bloody murder if my hair doesn't match the picture? Angry

Please help!! I would love to actually get my blonde color RIGHT while I'm still in this blonde phase. It's 70% there, but the top of my head always looks bad...especially noticeable when I pull my hair back in a ponytail.

Edited by ticktickatick - July 17 2012 at 5:09pm
LasVegasGirl31 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LasVegasGirl31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:06pm
You would think that showing your stylist the photo would be the best way to let her know what you want. You shouldn't have to say anything to her if she looked a the photo. Maybe she just, for some reason can't do it, and doesn't want to tell you ? I know it can be uncomfortable telling her that it's not what you wanted. I once got a bad color job when I went to a new stylist, that was supposed to be a colorist. I knew it was bad when I left, but after a couple days I decided to call her, and asked her if she could redo it for me. She was very understanding, and redid it for me, but
it still wasn't what I quite wanted, but better than it was. I guess, I found out that just because you pay more for color, or even if they are considered a colorist, doesn't mean they're automatically going to be good at it. If it's been less than a couple of weeks since you had your color done, I would call her, and ask her if she could add more blonde, because you wanted your roots to match your hair color that is 5 inches down from your root line. If she wants to keep you as a client, she should redo it at no cost to you. Hope this was helpful. I can sympathize with you, I've had a few bad color jobs in my life time.
Trueblonde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trueblonde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2013 at 7:30am
Ticktickatick - I know this was some time ago that you posted this problem but having read it all, I have exactly the same issue. I was blonde as a child and have always highlighted or bleached my hair. it is a mousey brown also. I have never had a problem with condition but as I get older :/ my colourists insist I need bleach to achieve the same colour even though I prefer high lift tints as they are kinder on my hair and give more shine. I agree though as EVERY time I leave I feel the roots have a darker look that I do not like. I want the same colour from root to tip. My latest hairdresser (I only use good colourists at every salon) has told me woven highlights are not meant to give an ALL over colour and that if i want that look I need to have an all over bleach!! I don't want a Gwen Stefani look though, I want the same as your pic, more Reese......What did you do in the end??
blondeorexic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondeorexic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2013 at 3:22pm
I have the same issue... my roots just come in so fast, I am thinking of just getting a full color and since it's a lot cheaper I won't feel bad going in every month to fix the roots.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic