Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can't get rid of brassy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
knecht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knecht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't get rid of brassy
    Posted: September 25 2012 at 4:28pm
Hi Folks,

I've had an ongoing hair color issue for well over a decade, and I've been to the most high-end salons in my area (like all of them) to no avail. My real hair color is a medium to dark ash brown, with a whole lot of gray, these days. My trouble is that no one can get the brassiness out of it. I even went two years having nothing but highlights (no underneath color), but it was still brassy. I'm very, very discouraged, as I don't look good with anything but ashy hair, but this has been going on forever. Recently, I gave up on the salons and took matter into my own hands; I used Wella Color Charm 7AA/632. It was about the same as the salons--still very red, and quickly fades even more brassy. I would really appreciate any help you can give, and please don't tell me to go back to the pros; they don't do jack for me, and I just end up with an empty wallet and ugly red hair. They do their ashiest job humanly possible, and it's still red. I keep going back to the same stylists so they can try again and again and again--still red. Thanks.
SiNfuL GirL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 2:03am
So your using a color to lighten? If your trying to get a ash blonde I would say bleach it out then tone with a 10A and a 10V equal parts to pull out the ash but replace with a little pearl so your not white. I may be misunderstanding your process of coloring your hair so if that doesn't sound right then please let me know so I can jump on the same page as you. But generally the bleach will pull most every time your natural color to a light enough blonde you can rid of the brassiness. 
Sinfuliphone.com
A stock iphone is a useless brick, I live to customize!
knecht View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knecht Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 6:59am
Thanks; my original color is sort of an ashy dark-medium brown, with a lot of gray. I got so desperate once that I had everything bleached, and it was terrible. I don't want to go that blonde (or damaged); I just want to stay a medium brown and get rid of the brass. At this point, I'm trying to grow out my original color (uggh--way too much gray), then try again with just highlights, no underneath color. What sort of highlights should I ask the hairdresser to use, once my hair is all grown out? I don't want "stripes." I want it to look fairly natural, with absolutely no brass. Thanks.
SiNfuL GirL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 7:22pm
Ok so if you were to go into a salon and say I want highlights for half a head (only on the top, leaving the underneath natural). I would do small weaves so it blends in more natural. You can do chunky so its really up to you. I would go small ;)
Find a pic of some highlights you like and show them to a stylist. Your hair is not to dark to be able to pull out the brassiness imo but with that said you would bleach to get the highlights you can do a lightner which is bleach without ammonia but it wont pull the orange out as much then after you wash the color you tone it the toner will pull most if not any brassiness left from the process. Then to maintain you can use a purple shampoo once every two weeks or so if you have a lot of blonde.
Dont tell your stylist you want a caramel blonde you'll get brassiness lol.
here are a couple pic I found if you like one of them you can show your stylist. After the initial highlights are done you will then only need to have your roots touched up when they grow out which makes it way less damaging and easier for you.
Ok maybe a link to this website since the servers wont load these pic. Some of these are light blonde mixed and some are a caramel blonde mixed just kinda look through and see what your looking for. Get back to me so maybe we can narrow down exact color codes for you to give to your stylist.

http://slodive.com/inspiration/light-brown-hair-with-blonde-highlights/

Wink

Edited by SiNfuL GirL - October 03 2012 at 7:23pm
Sinfuliphone.com
A stock iphone is a useless brick, I live to customize!
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 3:35pm
Have you tried Brass Banisher?
Clash007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clash007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 7:19pm
I've had good results on a friends hair using about 3 cm of Koleston Perfect /28 (Green-Blue) modifier that I purchased on Ebay with the Color Charm 7AA which has a green base.  If you need more lift mix in two cap fulls of the Color Charm Blonding Plus additive. Mix 1 to 2 with 30 volume.  Its kind of cheating the rules but it worked to bring my friends Level 1 roots up to a level 6 with no brass.  Make sure that you allow to process for 50 Minutes!  I started out using the 7/2 Koleston Perfect but ran out and found that the the 7AA Color Charm seems to have more ammonia lifts better anyways and is more accessible.  The Koleston Modifier is a different consistency than the Color Charm so you have to mix them well in a bowl. Good Luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic