Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Natural Red to Honey Blonde...HELP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Natural Red to Honey Blonde...HELP!
    Posted: October 10 2012 at 9:07pm
I have been lurking the board quite a bit and you all are so helpful, I thought I would throw my question out and see if I can get some help and insight.
I am a natural auburn (warm hair and skin) and had virgin hair until a couple weeks ago. My hair got much darker with age and it looked brown. So I got a strawberry blonde (Loreal 7LA) and it did give me more red. Then, I decided I wanted to go lighter but wasn't ready for anything too drastic and started using Sun-In a couple times a week.
My hair is now a more orange color. It's not bad but I am ready to take the plunge.

My goal is a dark honey blonde with darker roots (mild ombré). I don't want to go orange but I do want to keep my red hue. I have been doing a lot of reading and was thinking that I could use an Ash Blonde with a 40 volume developer. I thought that the ash tones would help to diffuse too much brass. I also thought about using a 40 developer with blue anti-brass tint. I am just not sure how to get there...any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, trial and error is ok but a salon is out of the question. There is just no way.

I cannot post pics so here are some URLs so you can see what I am talking about.

This is my goal color, it is the Scarlett Johanson pic
http://www.topicbistro.com/933/shades-of-blonde-hair/

This is the root look I am referring to
http://celebhairs.tumblr.com/post/19325773019/whitney-port-blonde-ombre-hair

This is my hair color now
http://pinterest.com/nicoleand6/

This is my natural color
https://mobile.twitter.com/Nicoleand6/photo

Thanks in advance!

Nicole

Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 3:29pm
No one has any thoughts or ideas? I think I am going to do

AGEbeautiful Anti-aging Permanent Liqui-creme in 9a light ash blonde and
L' Oreal Oreor 40 Volume Creme Developer

Then do a Radiance Colorgloss Semi-Permanent Hair Color in a lighter ash blonde with the infuser. I will try and document as I go...with either be a lesson on how to or a lesson on how NOT to. Lol

I would still really appreciate any insight. Thanks!
SiNfuL GirL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 11:48pm
First off I love the color you are now not many people pull off a brown red but you do so props. You've done good research I think your on the right track. Your really just going to want to watch the color close while processing if it looks like your about right leave it on for just a few min longer and don't get to scared until you blow dry your hair. You may want to use a good toner because of the red in your hair. Redken 8v (or any toner maybe even just try a 8v and a 8a). If your worried about a toner being to strong you can mix a clear gloss equal parts with it to delute it a little bit. Depending on how your hair pulls the 9a with 40 you may not need a toner but better safe than sorry.
Do let us know how it goes and any other questions ill keep an eye out on this thread. Good luck. xoxo
Sinfuliphone.com
A stock iphone is a useless brick, I live to customize!
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 8:42am
So, I did step one of my lightening adventure...learned a couple things. I did One 'N Only Argan Oil Hair Color 10A Lightest Ash Blonde and 40 developer. The instructions called for 2:1 developer to color. If you look at the color, it is def not a 10...but whatever. Some of my observations:

One 'N Only Argan Oil Developer smells great and really diffuses the color stink

My hair didn't seem to lighter 4 shades...if I am to reach my goal color, I am going to have to use bleach.

The ash did pull some of the orange out if my hair.

My friend combed in the color and used foil...it created a nice dimension. My hair is not one color. It looks nice although it is an ashy orange lol

I think my next step is going to be:
Roux Violites Bleach
40 developer
Ardell Red Gold Corrector Plus

once again, this is my goal color:

OR

This is my current color:

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 9:57am
Better pic of current color

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 10:15am
Your hair has more red tint than I thought. I am very curious to see what a lightner would do to your hair rather than a bleach... hmmmm Im going to research this a little more and get back to you on this. It would be better for you to lighten rather than bleach. Your hair is long lets keep it that way lol.
Sinfuliphone.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 10:16am
Is the bottom part of your hair more of a brown and the top portion more red or is that just the light?
Sinfuliphone.com
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 10:25am
Hhmmmm...we kept the ash on the bottom longer and is therefore more ashy, but yea, for sure - the bottom is more brown and the top is more red because of the sun but mostly because of the first dye and the Sun-In (ugh). I think I mentioned before that I used to be a brighter dark auburn but my hair darkened to almost a deep brown with age and kids.
What is the difference between lightener and bleach? I thought my only options were developer or bleach?
Comparison pic with current and goal:

Before ash blonde and after
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 10:27am
I can't tell if it is just the pic (hard to see irl) but the bottom is kind of ashy greenish yellow...don't dig that.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 8:36pm
Been a long long day lol. The difference between a lightener and bleach is basically ammonia. Bleach is much more aggressive and lightener will strip color but not as aggressive and not as harsh on hair. Your hair will be tricky but I think you can get a lightener (Redken blonde ammonia free, Scruples Lightening, etc) If you go this rout your going to want to add the Lightener to the mid and ends first roots last they will pull faster. Your probably going to have a lot of different colors going on as your hair now is different. I think you will need to get a honey blonde such as the 9A you used first if that was the target color. You would then dye the whole head with the Color to match everything. Red is a very hard and tricky color to pull out but I would rather see you try a Lightener and save your hair rather than a bleach. After you do the Lightening you may need to tone out the red you can do this to pull out a little more red or brassiness if you wish with a toner I would say 10V violet will pull brassiness so would a blue toner. It sucks you have used the (Loreal 7LA) As that is the hard part getting out lol. 
Sinfuliphone.com
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2012 at 11:30pm
Ok so, you suggest
1. Lightener and developer ( like the Redken or Scruples)
2. Blue toner - reduce brass
3. Whole head with goal color

Uh hmmm... Sounds good.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really appreciate your help! I'll keep you posted.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 1:14am
Good luck and any questions Ill be around to try and help. 
Sinfuliphone.com
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 9:24am
I am looking online for the products I need but am having a hard time figuring this all out. I found this awesome PDF from Scruples but without the product knowledge, it is hard to figure out what I need and where to get it. I can't pick up the "good stuff" at Sally's. LOL I am sorry to keep on bugging you but can you please give me some more specifics about what and where to buy them. Thank you again.
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2012 at 1:50pm
What is the difference between Redken Blonde Dimensions Dust-Free Conditioning Lightener and the Redken Blonde Icing Lightener? The latter is super expensive because you have to buy so much.

Are boxed lightener a like Born Blonde bleaches?

Do you think that I would be better off doing a color fix stripper first?

Ugh...I am frustrated and wish I could afford to go get it done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SiNfuL GirL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 10:39am
The Dimensions is a powder Icing is a paste imo Icing is more conditioning that the powder but the powder has a blue tint to it to help pull brassiness. I still prefer Icing over Dimensions.  Being that you have to go lighter than your natural color to get that honey blonde your going to have to lighten anyways so no point is double processing by stipping it then lightening it when the lightner should do just what you need the first time.
I will look up some places to buy this stuff online and post up later today.
=)
Sinfuliphone.com
Kanpope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kanpope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 10:43am
Thanks Sin!  I PM'd you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic