Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

update: lots of growth by not using heat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: update: lots of growth by not using heat
    Posted: October 12 2012 at 2:56pm

Hi everyone I just wanted to share some updates on how long my hair has been growing and how it has been doing.

My hair has always been fairly healthy but in Jan of 2012 I noticed I had some dryness, split ends and breaking which of course isn’t good when you are trying to grow your hair. I also knew one of the main reasons for this was because of the heat I use on my hair. When you use heat tools it can make your hair dry and prone to breakage and damage. I have naturally curly hair and I wore it straight all the time so I was constantly flat ironing it and using heat appliances. My hair has always been long about waist length or a couple inches shorter but for a while I wasn’t achieving any more length because the ends were not very healthy.

I decided to get a trim and I invested in a pair of hair cutting shears so I could go through and get all the ends that needed to be cut off so that they were strong and healthy.

Then I committed to using no heat, which was hard for me. My curly hair is a bit harder to manage and take care of, it takes a lot of leave in treatments, conditioning and de-tangling not to mention patience but I learned a lot by trial and error, testing products and research and I collected all the right products for my hair.

I began wearing my hair curly which other people seemed to like. And I began using sulphate free shampoos, organic products, really good conditioners and amazing deep conditioners. I invested in a hair steamer for deep treatments and I found the oils and treatments that worked best for my hair. I also invested in the proper combs and tools and just started taking care of my hair more than I ever had. Being gentle with your hair is also important.

After about 8 months of not using any heat I flat ironed my hair to see how long it was and also to trim it so that the ends remain healthy and retain growth. My hair has grown about 5 inches and it is shiny and soft. Not using heat on my hair did wonders in allowing my hair to grow longer.

I also should mention that I have never coloured my hair or used any kinds of harmful chemicals on it. My hair is quite thick in that I have a lot of hair but the strands are fine. My goal length is hip length; I really doubt I can manage anything longer because it is a lot of work. But if you are trying to grow your hair I would definitely suggest laying off all the heat styling, dying and anything else that may cause harm to your hair while you are trying to grow it.

Edited by Ericachristina - October 12 2012 at 3:01pm
OH2TX View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OH2TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 11:20am

Thanks for sharing your tips!  Congrats on the growth!  :)

AutumnLocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AutumnLocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2012 at 6:40pm
Good work!  I'm always happy when I hear that someone is treating their hair nicely.  You are right.  Heat is not good for hair, at all!  Heat and chemicals are almost deadly to healthy hair.  I wish you long, healthy, beautiful hair!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 1:30am
Originally posted by OH2TX OH2TX wrote:

Thanks for sharing your tips!  Congrats on the growth!  :)

Thanks Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 1:32am
Originally posted by AutumnLocks AutumnLocks wrote:

Good work!  I'm always happy when I hear that someone is treating their hair nicely.  You are right.  Heat is not good for hair, at all!  Heat and chemicals are almost deadly to healthy hair.  I wish you long, healthy, beautiful hair!!

Thank you for the encouragement Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic