Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Good idea, but.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good idea, but.....
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:36pm
Since you didn't include your email, I have no choice but to post! I couldn't agree with you more that a relationship, or even an introductory conversation, based solely on a physical attribute is awkward and misguided. If I meet women through this site or others, I hope there is no mistake -- if I'm responding, it's because there's some indication I might like the person, not just the attribute.If you send me a private email I guarantee you'll get a response! :)-Scott> Hi...> I agree with Valentine. I have read all the> ads posted here. I even responded to one of the> emails...but did not even get a response back.> So I wonder if that guy was really serious about> meeting women.> I also agree and think distance does have> a bearing on response. I have long hair...but> to me...it is not the most important part of me.> I get suspicious when I think a man is more concerned> with something about my physical appearance and> not the me that is inside. I think a LOT of women> feel the same way. So if a man compliments me> on my hair...I wonder if that is all he is interested> in.> How do we know if the ads are being responded> to after all? Everyone has email listings....so> maybe they are getting responses. Like I said...I> sent a private email...but did not get a response> back.> Mary
Victor View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:36pm
I've been reading some of the messages here out of curiosity more than anything else. I've never responded to a personal ad of any kind before, nor have I posted one. My own view about this is that I prefer to be spontaneous. Personal ads seem rather contrived to me. A more likely scenario for me would be to meet someone via your other message board as well as other areas on the internet. There, you can get to know people by the messages they post. After seeing a wide variety of posts, then a direct email message can be sent to break the ice.On the other hand, I'm not generally the dating type anyway. I've had only one serious relationship, and I ended up marrying her. I guess I break many of the male stereotypes, but for me, I doubt if personals will ever do much.Just my own opinion.Related Link:Men's Long Hair Site
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:35pm
Hi Bruce...Yeah, yeah...I know....Northern California. Sorry. No offense. I thing the location thing was meant as a general comment...I am not finished soliciting other women for the board. In fact..I have only just begun...watch out women of the Internet. :-)Yes..you are right...we need the woman to place the ads. That is why I spent all day Sunday sending email to all those different woman asking them to post free ads on this board. So far...no takers. I will keep trying.Yes...they would pick and choose. But at least they would be here and that is good. You are also right about the looks...are important..issue. This is true and will always be true. Some women just don't like to admit it.I will admit it. I grew my hair long to attract attention. And believe me...it does attract attention. I personally like it. But then I am a show off and not in denial about why I like having long hair. Some women are not willing are able to acknowledge their true motives or feelings. They may have hidden agendas...even from themselves. It is too bad...but that is the way some women...and men..are.I will also freely admit that there are certains physical characteristics that I looked for in men and also avoided. I personally love long hair on men while a lot of society doesn't. So I go and look at all the long haired men on the long hair men's site.Same thing..it is not a fetish. I just happen to like long hair. Now if I can get this across to other women...we might get somewhere.Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts on this. I totally agree with all of your suggestions.I am not under any circumstances giving up on this board.Thank you for being so patient.Karen
TAKE CARE WITH YOUR HAIR!
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:35pm
Hi Charlie....Jeff and I are going to post some instructions at the top of the board in the next few days. Included will be how to send email. There will be instructions to click on the highlighted name to send email.Also....this board is not limited to single people. If attached people want to contribute...that is cool too. We are working on how to resolve that as well.Jeff and I are looking at ways to make this more of a Man meets Woman, Woman meets Man kind of setup rather than just a forum. Maybe that would help. With that type of setup any man or any woman can post and hopefully they will mention if they as attached or not. You know...something like the D/W/F or M/W/F or S/W/F.If people want to post comments or thoughts that would not be appropriate for Hair Talk...that is great too. We just want to maintain good taste...so that the majority of people are comfortable coming here.We are also looking at actual personals software so that people can post by state and post photos. You know...like a real personals forum.I can promise you all one thing....I personally am not giving up on this board. It may take time...but I am determined to find a good workable solution for everyone who visits. Just ask Jeff what I am like when I am determined....scary. :-)I want you to all know that Jeff and I really appreciate the heck out of all the people that visit our site. We want this site to be the best we can make it....and we know it is only best if our visitors think it is. So we are going to keep on working on this nit. OK?Hey...if I can grow my hair long...I can do anyting...even get other women to this board. Right? :-)Regards,KarenPS. I am glad to hear you don't scare your horses. I would hate to have to report you to the Humane Society... :-) Have a great day!
AUGIE View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUGIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:35pm
MaryAt least now I know you got my message. I did not realize my first message was in caps. I guess you did not understand what I meant when I sent you the first message. I said there is more to a women than her hair(anyone can tell you that) but if I was not specifically interested in meeting a woman with long hair why would I place an ad here? By the way, I'm 26 and live in NY. And you?Augie
AUGIE View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUGIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:35pm
>
Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:35pm
>>Hi Karen.First of all I want to say thanks for your effort. The only thing that will make something like this work is trust. And that Ain't easy. I had one pen pal from a chat room that I wrote to for quite some time and I started to wonder if i was really writing to a woman! Some comment's didn't seem right! Sure, I placed an ad. I placed it with hopes of finding a friend, perhaps someone I could actually meet, and perhaps, gasp, a potential mate. I could say I'm rich. I'm not. I could say that I'm good looking. Well, I don't scare my horses. I could SAY alot of things. I don't know what the answer is but if people can't try to trust just a little bit none of us will get anywhere. If a lady took a little time to communicate with me I think she might find me to be a kind of passable guy!By the way, we put our e-mail addresses in the boxes when we respond or post a message, how does any one get them to e-mail us?Any way thanks again for trying. There might be some truth to the saying, "To find your handsome prince, you have to kiss a lot of frogs." However, us frogs need love too!See Ya!Charlie
Charlie
Bruce View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
*ahem* the "No.CA" in my _title_ refers to "Northern California" thankyouverymuch. (I couldn't fit Oakland/SF/SJo all in the space.) ;-)Karen, I like your idea of soliciting other long-haired women and directing them towards this board. Coming from a woman, that would be a lot less threatening, and I think, ultimately, that's everyone's primary concern. In light of that, I would like to pass along advice that comes from someone wiser than myself: have the women place the ads, and that way, _they_ can pick and choose who they wish to reply to. (Yes, they pick and choose now, but, in my opinion, from a smaller potential pool.)I would also like to offer a humble opinion about the concerns of being liked based only on appearance expressed by Brandy and felt by pretty much everyone in our enlightened society. Basically, that's how it works _everywhere_ in nature. Male peacocks have plumage; male frigate birds build nests, puff up their red pouchs (a long and difficult process) to attract the females, who fly down check out the nest, if they don't like it, they split. But why do women grow their hair long? Because they _LIKE_ it! And that simply, honestly, naturally attracts a specific type of man, ie: the guy that really likes long hair, and men who read and post to this board.But this doesn't mean that the _expression_ of this liking (ie, the "fetish") is supposed to occur on a first date! It's a part of the same discussion and negotiation that goes into shared interests/personal hobbies, political views, dining preferances, vacation spots, family history, family future, etc. I agree that those who have not progressed beyond the fascination with hair should be allowed a little more time to "ripen on vine". To quote my college English instructor, who "successfully raised three girls," "If you don't know the name of the man's kindergarten teacher, you don't know enough to sleep with him." (Personally, I think that's a _little_ extreme, but I agree with the sentiment.) ;-)And, also, as Stephanie a young yet wise woman, said to me thirteen years ago, "It's just an ornament." I was attracted to her and, I think, had I been more vine-ripened, she might have been attracted to me. I completely failed to make a good impression, and was too chagrined to try again.Unfortunately, this enlightened society does make it necessary to exercise caution with blind dates and blind e-mails, so I'd again like to commend Karen and Jeff for their efforts in making this a _safe_ enviornment.--Bruce
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
Hi Brandy...Yes..you are right. I think the men should mention their geographical location....phone area code and maybe even a photo? I think that many of the men who post here just love long hair and are not really into a specific fetish about it. Although I am sure that there are some that may have a stronger feeling about it.As you may know Brandy...I have hair that is below my waist and there are times that I have felt men only wanted to talk to me because of my hair. But there are times that I realized that my hair was just a part of the picture.I have to agree with some of the guys...women also have specific likes and dislikes about men and their appearance. I have been guilty of that in my past. It really is true that most of us all have those opinions.I do think that if women coming to this board could feel comfortable that their hair was not the only thing the men wanted and that they would not be used as part of a fetish...maybe there could be some good email friendships & connections established.Thanks for taking the time to give your opinions. We need to hear from the women and your posting really helps a lot.So guys...how about area codes and geographic locations and more verbage on why the woman will be treated as a total package of interest. I think we are on to something. :-)Thanks again Brandy.Karen
Brandy View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
Karen:I read the ads here pretty regularly, but I have not responded to any of them, because like most women, I am a bit nervous about people who specify that the hair is the main reason for the contact. I don't mind that being a fun adjunct and possible basis for a friendship, but I don't know that I like the idea of being the object of a fetish. Another thing, it would be helpful if people placing ads would indicate early-on what telephone area code, state, or geographic area they are in. It doesn't make much sense if one is looking for a relationship to make the intended audience have to go through exchanging e-mail only to find out that the long-distances involved preclude any further contact.Just a suggestion...B>> Hi Bruce...> I totally agree with everything that you> have said in your post and as you know...I am> frustrated.> You are right...women as just as guilty of> having specific physical likes and dislikes just> like men are. However, for some reason women won't> really admit that or they try to downplay it.> Men are just more open about it...in my opinion.> Men have always been known to have a general preference> for blonde, brunette, tall, short, etc. Woman> also look for certain types of men....tall, short,> beards, lots of hair, etc. In fact, a lot of men> in today's society are discriminated against...or> feel they are ...by women who prefer men with> hair.> So go figure.> Jeff and I discussed this situation at length> during lunch and we are planning the following> actions:> 1. Get specific listings in the search engines> for just this personals page and state it is a> free singles forum for people with a love of long> hair (men & women) 2. Set up a special links> section JUST for this forum with other personal> boards so that we can try to get some attention> from other females that might be more open to> this. 3. Post addresses here of women that are> on the Net that are advertising in personals that> have long hair. I am not sure about #3 and we> would try to post this discretely. My thinking> is...if they are willing to advertise on the Internet> in free personal boards......what is wrong with> me passing on this information to the people who> post here?> I am open to comments on these three ideas.> Or if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions.>> As you can see Jeff and I are determined> to try and make this work because so many people> wrote to us asking for this board.> We are just disappointed that the women who> said they would participate...have not.> Thanks for taking the time to give your great> feedback. I think you are right...showing a photo> will help a lot. If anyone wanted to do that...it> would might help.> Karen
christopher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
Karen....Thanks for all the efforts you are making in behalf of us guys here. I have not posted on the board...although I have thought about it...but I was concerned that the women would not respond. Just as is happening.I would really like it if you would post some of the URLs for the women that you do find who have singles ads. You are right...if they are posting on the Internet....they want responses from men.Maybe it would be inappropriate to post their ads on this board without their permission and I understand you want to do the right thing. However, you can refer us men to them. That would be totally appropriate.Thanks for giving up your Sunday for us guys. I for one appreciate it and this site.Chris
KAREN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KAREN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
Hi Bruce...I totally agree with everything that you have said in your post and as you know...I am frustrated.You are right...women as just as guilty of having specific physical likes and dislikes just like men are. However, for some reason women won't really admit that or they try to downplay it. Men are just more open about it...in my opinion. Men have always been known to have a general preference for blonde, brunette, tall, short, etc. Woman also look for certain types of men....tall, short, beards, lots of hair, etc. In fact, a lot of men in today's society are discriminated against...or feel they are ...by women who prefer men with hair.So go figure.Jeff and I discussed this situation at length during lunch and we are planning the following actions:1. Get specific listings in the search engines for just this personals page and state it is a free singles forum for people with a love of long hair (men & women) 2. Set up a special links section JUST for this forum with other personal boards so that we can try to get some attention from other females that might be more open to this. 3. Post addresses here of women that are on the Net that are advertising in personals that have long hair. I am not sure about #3 and we would try to post this discretely. My thinking is...if they are willing to advertise on the Internet in free personal boards......what is wrong with me passing on this information to the people who post here?I am open to comments on these three ideas. Or if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions.As you can see Jeff and I are determined to try and make this work because so many people wrote to us asking for this board.We are just disappointed that the women who said they would participate...have not.Thanks for taking the time to give your great feedback. I think you are right...showing a photo will help a lot. If anyone wanted to do that...it would might help.Karen
Bruce View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
Hello!I can understand the concerns of women who worry about the superficial attraction of men to hair, and I have attempted to resolve this conflict within myself. Sure, I really like long hair. Other men, however, are attracted to other areas, but that is no different than women being attracted to specific "types" of men (more muscular, with or without facial hair, with or without any _head_ hair, etc). I think the only difference is that men own the reputation of being more sexually predatory. Add to that the impersonal nature (and the danger) of e-mail correspondance, and you have quite understandable trepidation over placing/responding to ads. But ads are only supposed to be a stepping stone! You can always decline to meet a person if your e-mail exchanges are unsatisfactory! There is no obligation to meet.Regarding my own ad (to which I've had no responses), I was hesitant to place it for these reasons, and more, but attempted to communicate what I'd hoped to develop, but I can understand why anyone advertising themselves as a "photographer" would come under suspicion. What I had wanted to offer was non-threatening fun with the potential for establishing a significant relationship; not to place the woman's hair upon a pedestal while ignoring her. (Been there, done that, don't want to do it anymore - it's unfulfilling and I'm too old for those types of games.)As for what can be done? All that this long-winded message says is, "I dunno." Karen and Jeff have worked hard to provide us with opportunities. Either they will be followed up on, or they won't.In the meantime, I'm working on getting some photos up on a shared webpage so that people don't see "photographer" and assume "adults only." ;-)Best wishes, and best of luck, to everyone.--Bruce
Dreamweaver View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreamweaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
> I agree with Fred! Yes, this board is a good> idea in theory, but I doubt whether any women> read it let alone actually respond! I think we've> got to find a better way to meet our dream girl!!!> Best of luck!! BarryHi there Here is a possible alternative.Email me direct for info regarding our Inroducory Special
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi Everyone....I have been feeling bad that you are not getting responses to your ads. I have been reading the recent postings on the board between Valentine/Augie/Mary and now Charlie. So today...being a doer type of person...I decided to try and do something about the lack of obvious women on this board who want to respond to or leave personals.I went to a well known free personals board on the Internet and spent about 4 hours going through the states of Oregon, California and New York looking at only the female ads that had photos. When I found an ad with a photo of a long haired women...I sent her a polite email asking if she would be interested in posting a free ad on our board....or at least visiting our board and reading the postings that are currently here.After all, the board I was looking at was free...so why not post here too? I even explained in my email that long hair was NOT the only thing a lot of the ads were only concerned with although long hair is definitely a shared interest at this site.I received emails back from several of the woman who thanked me for offering the free posting service, but then said that they would be uncomfortable with our board. Two of them even told me that they would never be interested in meeting or communicating with men who were only interested in long hair.So my experiment did not work. I am sorry (the things that I do for this web site) :-)I want to be ethical and I want the board to meet your needs. I am just not sure what to do at this point. I need your help.Some of the ads I found today looked great (although what do I know...I am a woman) and the photos looked good. I politely invited them to come look at our board. It didn't seem to work very well.Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that might make this work better? Hey...if I am willing to spend my Sunday emailing unknown long haired woman around the U.S...I am willing to consider a lot of options......within reason, or course. :-)Please either post some suggestions or if you want it to be private you can always email me.Thanks for being so patient. Jeff and I feel bad that this does not seem to be working out the way you had all indicated you would like it to. We are willing to try other things.Karen
Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
>HiI too put in an as that went un-responded to. First of all, i thought the interest in long haired people was a given here. I believe that everyone finds a certain physical attribute to be attractive, men and women alike. Long hair, short hair, tall , short, dark light, or whatever. I, personaly, like long hair on a lady. That doesn't mean that that excludes everything else. A pair of pretty eyes will melt my insides everytime. I'm a big one for eye contact. What's between the ears is pretty important. I've always been more attracted to women who can discuss a wide range of topics adn have a lot of interests. I one eated a person who seemed that the only activities worth while were horizontal... That wasn't enough for me. I needed a partner who I could comunicate with and share with. She even had long hair!If any one, ANYONE, sent me an e-mail to my private address I would respond. I've been checking this site for a responce to my add every day. I re-read it. I'll admit that it's not the best but how do I sum myself up in a few short lines? I love to communicate, but I'm not that good! I also felt like an idiot when I put my full name on it... Oh well.Mary, if you'd like to write to me, I'd love to hear from you.Charlie
Charlie
augie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote augie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
> Augie,> You say that you personally look for a woman> with more than long hair...but when I reread your> ad (which I just did) ...you very specifically> say that "long hair stirs your soul"> and that you want to meet a woman with "long> hair".> That is exactly what tells me that the hair> is a big part of what you want. That is exactly> what I don't want...to be chosen for my hair.> In fact...I will often wear my hair up when I> first get to know men because I want them to know> me.> Your ad also does not say your age, where> you live or what your interests are besides the> ocean, seafood and long hair. So I read your ad> and surfed past it. In the future you may have> more luck if you remove all the references to> long hair and instead talk about who you are.>> Good luck.> Mary> PS. You might also have more luck if you> don't print your ad in all caps. A lot of people> have a hard time reading postings that are in> all caps.>
Mary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
Augie,You say that you personally look for a woman with more than long hair...but when I reread your ad (which I just did) ...you very specifically say that "long hair stirs your soul" and that you want to meet a woman with "long hair".That is exactly what tells me that the hair is a big part of what you want. That is exactly what I don't want...to be chosen for my hair. In fact...I will often wear my hair up when I first get to know men because I want them to know me.Your ad also does not say your age, where you live or what your interests are besides the ocean, seafood and long hair. So I read your ad and surfed past it. In the future you may have more luck if you remove all the references to long hair and instead talk about who you are.Good luck.MaryPS. You might also have more luck if you don't print your ad in all caps. A lot of people have a hard time reading postings that are in all caps.
augie View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote augie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:34pm
>MARYI HAVE HAD A MESSAGE ON HERE FOR A WHILE AND HAVE HAD NO RESPONSE AS WELL. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT WOMEN WOULD PROBLEY NOT WANT TO MEET A MAN THAT IS JUST INTERESTED IN LONG HAIR. I PERSONALY LOOK FOR MORE IN A WOMEN THAN LONG HAIR CAUSE ITS THE WOMEN THATS CARRIES IT THAT MAKES IT SO BEAUTIFUL. I THOUGHT POSTING AN AD ON HERE WOULD BE A GREAT WAY TO CORRESPOND AND MAYBE MEET WOMEN WITH LONG HAIR. WHY NOT BROWSE MY AD AGAIN I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN TALKING WITH YOU.AUGIE
KAREN View Drop Down

Hi all.... I have also read all the messages on this forum...but being the co-webmaster...I try to read all the messages all the time. However...I did send a private email to one of the men posting here and he did not respond. So I guess I have to wonder...like Mary...what the deal is.Do any of you guys get private email responses to the postings? If you do...then what? Do you respond? Jeff and I were originally assuming that you would get private email and that most people would not want to post in public. We also thought that the board could be used to post other hair stuff that fall under personals or singles types of forums.If not...Jeff and I need to figure out a better way. We are always open to suggestions for any visitors.I also know that women feel uncomfortable...like Mary said...if they think a man is only interested in her hair. I have been told that more times than I can remember.I know...I know...it is a man/woman difference thing. But hey...it that is what women think...don't you guys want to know? :-)Karen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic