Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Breaking hair, please help... no answers yet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crisd99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crisd99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking hair, please help... no answers yet
    Posted: October 25 2012 at 11:26am

Hello! I'm in a desperate state. I'm a 26-year-old female and for over a year my hair has been breaking about 2 inches from the scalp. I originally thought it was falling out but it's breaking (apparently). I basically have a mullet because it breaks near the top of my head.

I've been to hairdressers - 1 put me on Vitamin B complex, which I've been on for about a year, and another put me on Silica gel which I've taken daily for 8 months. I've also taken multivitamins for about 2 years.

I've also been to my GP, who did a blood test that came back normal, including my thyroid.

Facts:

- I have never coloured my hair

- I wash my hair only about 3 times a week, using Nioxin (about a year on this as well) and no conditioner

- I use Redken leave-in for fine hair

_ I barely ever brush

- My hair used to be quite wavy, but about the same time as I started losing it it went straight with a few messed up kinks here and there.

- I don't curl my hair, and for a long time I didn't straighten it either. Now I want to do SOMETHING because it looks so shootty. But it won't....

- My hair won't hold curls, even with curling gel and hairspray (I live in Toronto, Canada.... so not exactly a humid place)

- My hair also won't stay straight. Kinks I straighten out in the morning with a super Chi straightener (that I rarely use because of the breaking) kink up again in about an hour. In Toronto.

Does anyone know where I can go for help? I'm so upset over this, I really am...

Cris
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2012 at 3:56pm
Hi, I live in Toronto too so I know that usually with the exception of summer and the heat waves we get it isn’t very humid the rest of the year.

If you have tried everything and you have been to the doctor then maybe you should try a hair clinic for hair loss and restoration? If you go to them about your breaking hair and the amount of hair you have been losing they may be able to do an assessment and take some close up images of your scalp and follicles. If you take good care of your hair and body then maybe you could give them a try.

Good luck
Crisd99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crisd99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 9:38am
Hi Erica. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find a hair clinic, though I've never heard of one. I take great care of my hair - much better care than most people. So I'm really stumped..
Cris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic