Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Experiences Cycling In France

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rozeyshenx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rozeyshenx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Experiences Cycling In France
    Posted: November 30 2012 at 3:46am
Hello, thank for sharing you traveling experience with us. It is really very nice to know about your Cycling in France. I wish to go there and also try this. :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happynicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 9:53pm
The summit was cold and chaotic, with cyclists and officials everywhere. I tried to engage race organisers, "Ou est Mavic? C'est possible pour vous assistance pour mon pneu?"

They merely shrugged their shoulders in the typical French way and suggested I sit and wait for Le Broom, the sweep vehicle.I hadn't come all this way to give up, so I decided to tackle the descent, hoping to find a hire shop in one of the villages.

I knew it was dangerous, but the tubby had proved remarkably solid. On the first real hairpin corner, the tyre (perhaps predictably) flipped and sent me flying. I landed hard on my shoulder and hip, and had a couple of scrapes on my hand. I was angry, but accepted a little medical attention from a French couple who happened to be watching from their camper van. Oddly, I decided to carry on. I realised that I needed to go even slower and kept both brakes applied.

I got a lot of funny looks, but at the third ski-rental shop in the village of St Francois Longchamp my stupidity was rewarded. The owner catered for cyclists in the summer and agreed to lend me a front wheel, keeping my carbon marvel as security.

I was now behind Le Broom. Ahead of me I could see fin de course officials, who were reopening the road for normal traffic. I overtook them on one of the 41 hairpins, but at the food station in the valley I was told my official race was over.

They had stopped all the slow riders. It took me 10 minutes to persuade an official to give me permission to continue if I managed to stay ahead of the sweep vehicle. There were no other cyclists in sight, and my heart rate was 170-plus for a long time, but eventually I began to put some stragglers between Le Broom and myself. I felt safe only once I reached the foothills of the Col du Glandon.

Edited by Administrator - October 28 2012 at 6:16am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic