Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beyonce Lip Syncing OK or Not?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Karen Shelton View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karen Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beyonce Lip Syncing OK or Not?
    Posted: January 23 2013 at 10:42am
Beyonce's musical performance at President Obama's second inauguration on Monday has caused a stir in the press, with speculation that she lip-synced "The Star Spangled Banner."

A source very familiar with the situation told the media that Beyonce performed the National Anthem live, but she pre-recorded a track of the song to sing over. The source said this is a standard performing practice. And the musical accompaniment by the Marine Band? A recording.

There has been no comment by Beyonce's publicist.

If it is true that Beyonce did lip-sync at Monday's inauguration, she wouldn't be the first artist to perform that way at a major national event.

For example:

• In 1991, Whitney Houston lip-synced her iconic interpretation of "The Star Spangled Banner" at the Super Bowl.
  • Oscar-winner and former "American Idol" contestant Jennifer Hudson lip-synced with the anthem at the Super Bowl in 2009.
  • Faith Hill also performed to a backing track for "America The Beautiful" at the same event in 2009.
  • At President Obama's first inauguration in 2009, Yo-Yo Ma's performance came into question over "hand syncing." The acclaimed cellist had said the instruments weren't working properly in the very cold weather.

There were even reports that speculated Madonna was lip-syncing during her appearance at the 2012 Super Bowl half-time show. "The only thing Madonna proved during the Super Bowl 46 show is her irrelevance; the halftime show was so obviously lip synced that it was painful," according to SBNation's JP Starkey.

As for Beyonce, a statement released by the Marine Band to CBS News on Tuesday said that "there was no opportunity for Ms. Knowles-Carter to rehearse with the Marine Band before the Inauguration so it was determined that a live performance by the band was ill-advised for such a high-profile event.

Each piece of music scheduled for performance in the Inauguration is pre-recorded for use in case of freezing temperatures, equipment failure, or extenuating circomestances. Regarding Ms. Knowles-Carter's vocal performance, no one in the Marine Band is in a position to assess whether it was live or pre-recorded."

CBS News confirmed that James Taylor, who also performed "America The Beautiful" at President Obama's second inauguration, did not perform to pre-recorded music and that everything was live, according to the artist's representative.

A representative for singer Kelly Clarkson, who had sang "My Country This Of Thee" at also at the inauguration Monday, told The Associated Press, that her performance was live.

Is it OK to lip sync in any setting?  Does this include the SuperBowl or the President's Inauguration?

If the performers are lip syncing why even bother to have them there?  Are they getting paid or doing it out of the kindness of their hearts?

What do you think?

That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger or drives you totally insane. :-)
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 4:20pm
I can understand why performers would want to lip sing if the event is live and in this case the performer did not get time to practice. When a performer gives a terrible performance it is talked about negatively through all entertainment media.
I also understand why fans would be disappointed, anyone can pre record a song in a studio and fine tune it to sound decent, some people want to see the singers ability to perform live and entertain in the moment not to stand there and pretend to sing.

I guess it depends on whether the audience wants to see a great performance which is sung beautifully or a more raw version of the song that is susceptible to faults.

In my opinion I'd rather hear the song sung well and the performance go smoothly instead of something that sounds terrible. I have heard some artists sing live and they sound atrocious so I would rather not listen to that. It isn't just about the singing, it's about the performers presence and performance itself and if the singing is bad then the whole performance suffers.

If I was at an event with a guest celebrity singing one or two song like the anthem I wouldn't mind the lip singing so much but if I was at a concert where I spent a lot of money for tickets then I would prefer seeing a live show instead of an hour or two of someone lip singing.

Edited by Ericachristina - January 23 2013 at 4:21pm
administrater View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 1:19pm
I agree Ericachristina. For a one off performance, no problem. It's done all the time. However, if I paid big money then not cool.

I feel sorry for Ashlee Simpson. She got blasted so badly for doing this on Saturday Night Live and she was only doing 2 songs. Yet it pretty much ended her career. Yeah, they say it was because she got married and had a baby, but she lost so many fans over all the news of her lip syncing on SNL.
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 4:50pm
Yes some celebrities get harsher penalties for the same crimes so to speak. Sometimes they get a slap on the wrist and other times people use them to make an example, I guess Ashlee was the example...and I wish her sister would lip sing a bit more too :)

On another note it seems like to be a celebrity these days you need a DUI charge against you.
shinning_likeme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shinning_likeme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 6:16am
Oh my god !!!
 these are sad stories . Ashlee Simpson is my favourite Star :(
oskana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oskana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2014 at 12:21am
Don't know if Beyonce is/was lip Syncing but I want to know what happened with her sister and her husband on the elevator recently?  Supposedly Beyonce's sister started attacking JayZ and it was caught on tape?  Then supposedly the next day Beyonce's sister deleted all of Beyonce's images off Instagram.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic