Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Help Please!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sahara_desert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahara_desert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Please!!
    Posted: January 28 2013 at 7:19pm
I posted this message earlier but in a different category. I haven't heard anything so I figured I'd try putting it in this category as well. I'd really appreciate any input!! Thanks!!
I was wondering if anyone has any hair tips for mixed hair? I'm white, my daughter is 1/2 black (only bringing race into this post so you get a better idea about her hair type, which I desperately want to do the right thing for!!) She has super curly hair with a smooth texture, that runs approximately to her chest line when wet. I almost always (unfortunately!) keep it in a ponytail because when it dries and I go to brush it later before bed, it is not a happy situation for anyone!! I always wet it when I brush it, and it can still be quite challenging. I was using baby shampoo for curly hair, but as she gets bigger (she's now 4) that shampoo just doesn't seem to be cutting it. I switched to the Pantene that I use on my hair and that seemed to work great for awhile, but now I'm noticing that it's starting to get really frizzy in spots. I don't know if it's the shampoo? Is it because I put it in a ponytail when wet? Is it my hairbrush? Is her hair just changing? I really want to do the right thing for her hair. It's gorgeous but I'm at a complete loss on how to take care of it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 4:45pm
Hi,
I'm mixed too, with Trinidadian, East Indian, Irish and some Brazilian somewhere down the line. For a long time when I was a kid and teen I had no idea how to take care of my curls but now I am very knowledgeable about curly hair and my hair is in the best shape it's ever been in. My curls are softy defined, shiny and frizz free. I have waist length thick hair and my curls are tight ringlet type curls.

So the first thing I would suggest is to use a sulfate free shampoo. Curly hair is naturally dry and sulfates which are common in many shampoos are harsh detergents that actually strip and dry out the hair further, this is terrible if you have curly hair.

I would also suggest that you don't brush her hair, brushing curly hair even when damp can cause breakage, it also separates the curl pattern making the hair frizzy. Some brushes are more suited to curly hair but usually they cause some damage for curls.

After you shampoo her hair follow it up with a good conditioner, if you have time use a very moisturizing deep conditioner and leave it on for about 30 mins. I know this can be hard for a kid but just let her get out of the bath put her hair in a shower cap and then let her watch TV or something until its time to rinse. Adding moisture into curly hair is a great way to have soft, healthy hair and also reduce frizz. There are some wonderful curly hair lines on the market now such as deva curl and Shea Moistures which are lines that are curly girl approved. You can find shampoos, conditioners and deep conditioners in these lines. I use the loreal ever creme Intense nourishing shampoo which is also sulfate and paraben free and I also use the shea moistures raw shea butter moisture retention shampoo. Never wash her hair without following it up with a moisturizing conditioner.

My favourite deep conditioners are the Giovanni smooth as silk deep moisture conditioner, Nexxus Humectress deep conditioner, the shea Moistures deep treatment masque and the macadamia deep repair hair masque but there are a lot of other good ones on the market. De tangle her hair while there is a lot of conditioner in it, this will make the process easier and cause the least amount of damage. Use a wide tooth comb to detangle.

After you condition her hair and rinse apply some leave in conditioner. My favourites are the Shea Moistures curl enhancing smoothie which helps tame frizz and keeps curls nicely defined. Another great leave in that I actually use in conjunction with the curl enhancing smoothie is the kinky curly knot today leave in conditioner, this product is great at keeping curly hair soft and non frizzy. The Giovanni tea tree leave in conditioner is also very good.

After you apply the leave ins which is a must let her hair air dry. Before bed put it in a loose pony tail or a loose bun and get her a satin pillow case so that her curls are protected as she sleeps. Cotton pillow cases actually snag on the hair and absorb oil which dries out the hair. When she wakes up you can refresh her curls with a bit more conditioner and water spritzed from a spray bottle or if they are in good shape just fluff out her hair to revive the shape and curls but do not brush her hair after you style it, it will separate and ruin her curls. And never brush or comb her hair while it is dry, it will just cause breakage and you will end up with a frizzy, puffy mess.

For more information check out naturallycurly.com this website is amazing for curly hair advice and the forums are very helpful. They even have a forum for children with curly hair and if you ask for help the women will give you tons of extra tips. We have all tried out a ton of styling methods and products to find things that worked for our hair, the website also has a lot of info on curly hair products.
Also check out YouTube, some of the curly hair gurus do wonderful curly hair tutorials and product reviews. Some of the girls I follow are:
waterlilly716
Justkellee101
Glamtwinz334
Shameless Mya

If you check their channels you will find some curl hair tutorials.

Good luck.

Edited by Ericachristina - January 29 2013 at 4:50pm
Sahara_desert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahara_desert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 5:56pm
Thanks so much!! This is very helpful! I'm so scared that I've been destroying her hair but had no idea who to ask for suggestions. I will definitely be doing all of this! Thanks again for the great advice!
Ericachristina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ericachristina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 7:14pm
You are very welcome
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic