Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KATIE'S HAIR JOURNAL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
katielocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KATIE'S HAIR JOURNAL
    Posted: February 22 2013 at 6:56pm

We may think we know everything about our hair, and I’m talking more about women than men. Hair is lively, sensitive to our spirit status and also sensitive to environmental status. And yet, the hair is composed of a tissue that is not alive. That is why you won’t feel pain every time you get a haircut. Here are some interesting things you did not know about your hair.

1.     Hair root is indeed alive but it is located below the epidermis while the hair that appears above the epidermis is only made from dead cells.

2.     Hair acts as a thermal protection while our head lacks the thermal insulation fats layers.

3.     The approximate number of hairs from a scalp varies between 120,000 and 150,000.

4.     One cm3 weights 1.3 grams.

5.     We wear daily on our scalps between 5 to 200 grams of hair, depending on hair length.

6.     Hair grows with about 1 cm every month.

7.     Every day we loose between 50 to 100 hairs, more or less.

8.     In Europe, most people wash their hair three times a week while a quarter of the population washes their hair daily.

9.     80% of North Americans and 90% of Japanese people wash their hair two times a day.

10.     Once a hair has been plucked another one starts growing.

11.     Each hair follicle is completely independent of its neighbors.

12.     Asian people hair holds two records: growth rate – 1.3 cm/month and it has the lowest density

13.     African hair growth rate is the lowest – 0.9 cm/month but has the higher density per square cm.

14.     A single hair can support weights up to 100 grams. If you would knit a rope of 100 hairs, you could carry a weight up to 10 kg. Moreover, if the scalp would be strong enough, a person’s hair could sustain up to 12 tons!

15.     In terms of structure and growth cycle, women’s hair is identical to men’s hair.

16.     Less than 4% of the world’s population has natural red hair.

17.     Hair is very elastic. When it is wet, it can stretch in length by 30% without any damage. However, the elasticity degree is lower in black curly hair and higher in lighter colors.

18.     90% of your hairs are constantly growing, a hair having a lifespan of about five years.

19.     Blond hair people usually have more hairs than people with red or dark colored hair.

20.     Cutting your hair does not affect in any way the rate of hair growth, nor its texture.

Author: Alex from hairskincaretreatments.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 8:47am
I'm glad you liked the post. How did you like the one of males with long hair would be attended to last.

Unfortunately, there is always a prejudice of a group of people & at any point in history you can find the underdog or worse persecuted.

Believe me, you are not the only one that can't wait till it's waist length. I will be celebrating.

I hope your hair will grow fast, be very healthy and we both will be delighted when it reaches our goals.

Thanks for commenting.    

Edited by katielocks - February 22 2013 at 12:11pm
malelonglocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malelonglocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 10:57pm
I loved your post on the history of long hair :) I am soo happy with my decision to let my hair grow out. I was warned by many that there would be pros and cons to it and the pros definately outweigh the cons. For the cons, there are times when it gets in the way and it definately takes longer to wash and dry. The pros are that you ahve a beautiful head of long locks on you and you can do so many things with it. It feels amazing when it is down too. I cannot wait to see what you think of it at waist length.
Going to awesome lengths

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 9:49pm

HISTORY OF LONG HAIR

I was looking at some pictures from the history of long hair & here are a few of my favorites.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 9:27pm
Please see, Regarding lovebob's comments.
I posted reply in wrong area

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 6:13pm
Tools of the Trade and Techniques

Just thought I would tell you a few things that I do and maybe you will share your thoughts on this topic, as well.

I use a wide tooth comb.
I love a boar bristle brush.
I love to apply oil to my hair.
I love a good head massage.

When I wash my hair it is once or twice a week during winter months. In the summer it may need more. If your hair is oilier you may have to wash it more often but (I have found many people wash their hair far to frequently and due to doing this they have to wash their hair more)
It's sort of a catch 22. If you have time or a weekend and you can start to say wash your hair every other day instead of every day, when your hair gets use to less washes it will require less. That is what I've found from my experience and with friends.
I usually CO, condition only the first shampoo of the week(everyone's hair is different but you might want to try it a few times and see what you think) and the next shampoo time if I feel it needs it, I wash with a shampoo, diluted and only applied to my scalp. At the end of gently but thoroughly washing hair I gently squeeze the excess through length of hair and then rinse, thoroughly.
Then I apply conditioner to my hair but not on scalp, leave this on for 2 minutes or desired time and then rinse. I rinse but not so concerned if there is a little conditioner left in hair. Then I put the water on cold and do a quick, final rinse. This I believe, promotes shine and has other benefits. It's good to rinse your body as well with a cold as you can go, quick rinse.[IMG]smileys/smiley3.gif" align="middle" />
I use an old, big t-shirt instead of a towel. You don't get towel fibers on your hair and it's easier. I leave it up in shirt for at least 10 minutes, periodically pushing with palms of hands on shirt to sort of get excess water out of hair.
Then I use a wide tooth comb. Gently comb through from sections at the bottom and work up. This way if you run into a snarl you won't be tearing at your hair, you can work on the snarl as you come to it.
Then I let air dry. I don't want to use any heat on my hair as I believe it is damaging. If you need to you can wash your hair in evening and it will have overnight to dry.
Every night I brush(only DRY hair) for about 20 strokes or just regular brushing which distributes the oil throughout hair, right down to your ends. (NO 100 Strokes Needed) you need to be gentle with your hair cuticle. Then I apply oil. I put that on from say your ears downward and work it gently through hair then when I'm all done I might run my hands with hardly any oil on it by then through my scalp, quickly like a grand finale.
I then loosely braid my hair and hope for sweet dreams. I hardly ever have snarls due to putting hair in braid.
Some people use a satin pillow. to be continued...

Okay, let's talk about oils for you hair. I love jojoba oil. I use it daily.
I like coconut oil and olive oil. I don't have much experience with other oils but I did ASK KAREN, & she suggested Almond and sesame oil. Please tell me what oils you like to use and we will continue on this subject...

Edited by katielocks - February 22 2013 at 12:00pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 5:19pm
I sent you a reply but posted it in wrong area.

Please visit Katie's Hair Journal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 3:41pm
I just wanted you to know I replied to your comment, please check next two posts, below. I clicked the wrong area to post.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 10:10am
Regarding lovebobs comment:

Check this out for simple summer style. This girl has extensions.
I don't know about you but I use no heat on my hair.
I curl it naturally. I can post a link from a girl that does it on-line if you like.

youtu.be/wzPKb5y_tRc

I have another link, but I need to find it. It,s of a summer up-do that I personally love. Nice for formal occasions, too. Will post as soon as I can locate it.

Another would be Torrinpage to look up on YouTube.
She specializes for really long hair braids and up-do's.

Edited by katielocks - February 21 2013 at 3:46pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 9:32am
Regarding lovebobs comment:

I just had a BRAINSTORM, so editing this here.
I think I'll check out this site for all kinds of hairstyles. I have been concerned with other things and have not visited to see what they have to offer but I'm sure there must be some nice styles. Let me know if you find some you like.

I've been involved in several projects but as soon as time allows, I will.

I really started this as a journal for just long hair growth and those trying to grow their hair, too. For any tips and advice for keeping hair healthy so it will grow as fast as Mother Nature allows.

I do find hairstyles a necessity so you don't get bored.

I will tell you I use youtube a lot as I like to see a style visually done as well as written instructions I also find helpful in creating the hairdo.

You might want to just put in a search on line or with YouTube for long hair styles. You'll find so many as there are so many talented people.
Then, when time allows I will post some pics of different braids and up- do's I have learned.

If you have any you would like to share, feel free to post them here.

Hope you have a nice day.

Edited by katielocks - February 21 2013 at 5:16pm
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 7:52am
Hey, how about you post some braid and updo pics? That'd be great!
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 12:52am
Hi and thanks for the compliment. Yes, extreme lengths, sounds so good. What length are you at currently?

It's funny you asked that about buns and braids. I was putting it up in all kinds of braids when it was a little shorter & buns as well.
Lately, I seem to braid it in more simple styles but that could be just my mood.

Secretly, I'm just enjoying the feeling of it down a lot as it's been a long time since it has been this length. Sometimes I like half up half down, part in a bun and rest loose.

I think it's just winter but usually I'm on the hunt for new hair styles.
I like YouTube for learning new styles, so helpful to see it being created.

In the summer it's usually up or in some kind of braid until evening, if it's a cool one, then I can wear it down

Do you have any do's you want to share or suggest?
When I do a new style, I will post it here.

I do like to curl my hair but with no heat. I find for some buns it helps to have some soft curls, not only to create the up-do but for a more feminine look around face. I like messy buns too. The Bohemian look in hairstyles Is one of my favorites.

Well, I wanted to respond to your comment but it's late & I hope this note to you is coherent.

I wish for both of us a glorious journey to our extreme lengths that we so desire.
malelonglocks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malelonglocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 10:29pm
Hi Katie, I loved seeing your first post on here and I have to say you do have gorgeous hair. It looks so thick and I have no doubt extreme lengths will look awesome for you. Have you tried any new fun braids or buns or anything since you have gained some length? I have no doubt you will love your hair at your waist and you will enjoy all the pros and cons that come with it. I am currently letting my hair grow out and I would love to get mine waist length as well :)
Going to awesome lengths

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 3:27pm
FOR YOUR LISTENING PLEASURE OR NOT

http://youtu.be/HsBQxM3pDW4

Edited by katielocks - February 20 2013 at 3:29pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 8:50am
Thanks for wishing me luck.
My goal right at this time is to have waist length hair. I will be real happy when it gets there but I don't really mind the time it takes.
I'm lucky that my hair grows fast, though.

I had this picture taken on a whim when I found this site. Mine is probably due for a trim. I sort of wait until I get that feeling that it really needs it. That may not be the best way of hair maintenance!

Your avatar, her hair is very attractive. I do appreciate all kinds of hairstyles but like your wife I want mine long.

I wish your wife the best in her long hair journey.
lovebobs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovebobs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 8:10am
Good luck, its not easy, my wife has been growing from a Pob for 5 years. It is quite long now but it is a lot of work and requires lots of TRIMS to keep it fresh and looking pristine.
Long with BLUNT bangs or ALL cut to lip length, I cant decide my favorite!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 1:10pm
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SAVE MONEY OR DON'T TRUST THE SALON TO DO A DUSTING OR JUST A TRIM, WHY NOT DO IT YOURSELF. CHECK THIS OUT!

feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Just saw this video to trim your own extreme length hair. Can't wait till I can do this to my own hair!

youtu.be/hWRJ57j1AyI

BORROWED FROM, ASK KAREN

***UNTIL I HAVE TIME TO EDIT THIS SO THE DATES THAT ARE SUPPOSE TO BE BOLD, I WILL LIST MARCH DATES & THEN FIX THIS, FEBRUARY BOLDED DATES HAVE PASSED.

Dates best for MARCH THAT should be Bolded are:
13, 15, 16, 18-24

Dates which are the very best for the month are bolded. These dates are for the general population.
If you have specific hair issues you may require a custom moon chart to address your hair needs*.

January: 12, 13, 14-17, 18, 19, 20, 21-24

February: 11-13, 14, 15, 16, 17-23

March:   12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18-24, 25

April : 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16-20, 21-23

May: 10, 11,12, 13, 14, 15, 16-19, 20, 21-23

June: 9, 10, 11-14, 15, 16, 17-21

July: 9, 10, 11-14, 15, 16-18, 19, 20

August: 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15-18

September: 6-8, 9, 11, 12-14, 15, 16, 17

October: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11-14, 15, 16

November: 4, 5, 6-8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

December: 3, 4, 5, 6-8, 9, 10-12, 13, 14, 15

Generally speaking the best astrological signs for faster, longer and healthier hair are Taurus, Cancer, Scorpio, Capricorn orPisces unless the moon is under stress aspects from other planets (Sun, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune or Pluto) which might alter the traditional benefits of those signs.

Summary
I hope you all enjoy the information. Of course I can't guarantee you results. I can just share my findings and theories with you.

*Note: For a personalized phone, tape or written best moons astrological reading with Karen send an email to AskKaren@HairBoutique.com.

***sorry will edit when I can get the format correct for BOLDING Dates

Edited by katielocks - February 21 2013 at 4:08pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 12:48pm

I thought I would link my introduction
Just scroll down & see katielocks

talk.hairboutique.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=31456&PN=63

Edited by katielocks - February 19 2013 at 12:58pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote katielocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 9:20am
Thanks Mike for commenting & compliment. What is your hair like?
If you have any tips for hair, keeping it healthy and growing it long, I would love to hear what you have to say.

I like your quote. I find history fascinating as well.

I know I can look it up but I thought I might as well ask you, now.
What does being in an Elite group entail?
Mike46019 View Drop Down
Super Elite Member
Super Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike46019 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2013 at 10:42pm
Wow your hair looks great. If you are going for waist length hair by the pics you do not have to far to go.
Few men are killed by the bayonet;many are scared by it.Bayonets should be fixed when the fire fight starts.General George Patton Jr.,War As I Knew It,1947.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic