Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Man with long ginger hair needs help ASAP!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
UnknownXY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnknownXY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Man with long ginger hair needs help ASAP!
    Posted: March 06 2013 at 8:58pm
I am a man with long BRIGHT red hair, down to the bottom of my shoulder blades. I LOVE my hair! Even on my worst hair days I am getting compliments every day, I am rather new to having long hair and do not really know how to care for it. I am looking for ways to tame my wild hair.

Generally this is how my hair care regimen goes. I LIGHTLY shampoo my hair, enough to get the dirt out, but not enough to strip the oils from my hair, my hair seems to need them. Then I rinse my hair when I shower until it feels oily, then shampoo again.

Here is my issue. Even when lightly shampooing and conditioning my hair goes unbelievably frizzy. If I put enough shampoo in to the point that there is an actual lather the outcome is shocking, even with conditioner! A day or two after I lightly shampoo it, it looks fantastic, and I can keep that going for another two or three days. If I shampoo to the point of a lather, it takes a week to get it to no longer be frizzy. Even using these anti frizz serums does not put a dent in it.

My hair is what I would call "gently curly". If I shower without shampooing and just let my hair dry naturally, it has these wonderful slight curls to it and it looks amazing, but even brushing my hair while wet removes the curls except for at the very ends. Brushing my hair when dry under any circomestances results in a rather astonishing display of a frizzy voluminous mess, it would make a lion proud, but not much else.

Here is my other issue. My hair when freshly washed is extremely soft, I am talking teddy bear soft, I am talking girls call other girls over to feel it soft (not that I swing that way), but by the time it is looking magnificent, it's feeling not so great.

If anyone could give me pointers on how to tame my wild mane while maintaining it's softness I would greatly appreciate it!

P.S. Anything that says "Volumizer" makes me cringe, My hair is loud and voluminous enough thank you, I need to turn down the volume a little (lot).
Ricc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ricc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 5:29pm
It sounds to me like you've got pretty fantastic hair really-- red with lots of volume. Conditioning is probably your best tactic. You may be using the wrong shampoo and condition for your hair, so you might change around a bit. When I've had my hair at it's longest it tended to get dry and frizzy toward the ends until I found  a conditioning regimen that worked for me. I only shampooed once or twice per week. I used a good shampoo and conditioner with panthenol. Out of the shower I squirted in a good after shampoo condtioner like Infusium 23. I also did an oil conditioner once every 3 weeks or so.

Eventually, after trimming a few inches from the ends, my hair looked totally super.
Susan W View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Susan W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2013 at 11:46am
Oiling it may help you. You can use jojoba oil (but it may make the ends feel crunchy), or coconut oil (my fave). Either can make your hair look great though and helps reduce frizz.

You don't use a lot, start with a drop or two on the ends and use your fingers to work it through, you will get used to the right amount for you with practice. (The coconut oil is a solid so you just warm a little in your hands first to liquify.) Your hair should not look oily nor should it get on your clothes. If it looks oily, you used too much and you'll have to wash and start over. I oil mine after it has dried, but you can try with it damp too and see if you like that. Oiling also helps keep away tangles. I've heard redheads say they love how it brings out the shine and color in their red.

Some people don't use shampoo at all, they wash their hair with conditioner on the scalp, this may be something to try and see if it works for you. I've tried it and didn't like it, but some folks with curlier hair love it. Best of luck!
Making metal barettes/concord clips hair safe, long hair style how to: http://alonghair.wordpress.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic