Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

To cut or not to cut?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rinella View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rinella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: To cut or not to cut?
    Posted: August 11 2000 at 11:00pm
hi, I am an 18 yr old female with dark brown, thick naturally wavy really long (thigh length) hair. I have been growing my hair for about 5 years.Lately Ihave been thinking its time to cut it all off. But of course there is that part of me that wants to keep my long hair. I'm sure there are many people out there who have experienced similar feelings as myself...anyone out there cut their extremly long hair and love it? I don't want to do something i'll regret, yet at the same time, maybe its time for a change and and a new look. Anyone in the same shoes as me?
jricc View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jricc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2000 at 5:44am
Hi. I've been at the cutting helm for many haircuts in which the woman went from very long to very short. They all did it for the same reason - a change. In almost every instance, they loved the short hair immediately. In a couple of instances, it took a few days. Only once did someone wish they had waited, and eventually they liked it.

So the odds are with you. If you really want to cut it all off, go ahead, you will almost certainly like it. In the unlikely case that you don't, it will grow back quickly. You are young, and have time for this.

If you are located anywhere near New York, let me know. I would be very glad to help you through this difficult experience, and can provide a perfect cut.

JR
gmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2000 at 1:58am
Hi Rinella,

I am a guy, so obviously I haven't experienced what you are thinking, but I think it would be a horrible shame if you cut all that gorgeous long hair off. As much as you might find the experience interesting, once your beautiful mane is cut off, you are left with a boring, ugly short hair cut and all that exciting, fun , beautiful long hair is gone. There is nothing more sexy than seeing a young woman with long, flowing hair all the way down her back, and even beyond! I would find you so gorgeous, and really pray you will not cut off your hair. If you wish to email me, you can at johnrm71@hotmail.com.

John
Mr. Rapunzel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Rapunzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2000 at 6:09pm
Rinella, based on my wife's experience, you may or may not want to go for it. She had hair nearly as long as yours, then cut it off at age 17. She loved the change and kept it short for 12 years. But, she was ready for the change and no longer wanted to be known primarily for her hair. Two years ago, after wearing her hair long again for nearly 10 years, she cut off 16 inches, didn't like it, and promptly started to grow it out! She's now regained 14 of the 16 inches.

If you are not so sure, you could go shorter in stages, 6 or 8 inches at a time, stopping when you're satisfied with the new style, instead of cutting it all off at once. (Actually, I should recommend at least 10 inches at a time, the minimum for a donation to Locks of Love! Follow the instructions on their web site to donate the cut hair, which they use in wigs for children with hair loss conditions).
Mark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2000 at 10:37pm
As a male, I would say to keep your long hair. you can do
many more hair styles with your long hair. Braided long hair
on a lady looks nice. Most ladies regret cutting of their
long hair after several days,and wish they had their long hair back.

Their are many ladies that use vitamins to grow their hair long. I would hope that you decide to keep your long hair.
It does take a long time to grow your hair back,and would
have to be live with short hair for long time. i think you
would regret cutting your very long hair,and you should keep
your hair very long.
cjayman View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjayman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2000 at 9:51pm
Hi Rinella

My wife had hair just below the waist until shortly after we married. She told me beforehand that she wanted to keep it long for the wedding but that she wanted to have it cut short afterwards. She initially cut it to chin length and graduated very short up the back, and although she said that she found it strange to begin with, so she loved the cut. A few weeks later she had it cut a little shorter, up to lip-length, and I have to admit that although I loved her hair long, I loved the result - it enhanced her features so well. So, my advice to you is, if you're of the mind to cut it all off . . . do it! It's only hair at the end of the day, and if you have any later regrets you will at least know that you've tried short hair, and it will grow back again. Keep us posted on what you decide.

Chris
Beatnik Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatnik Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2000 at 8:14pm
Rinella....
Your hair sounds wonderful, stunning, beautiful...please think very carefully before you cast all that aside! With something so great, I don't understand the idea of 'maybe its time for a change' ...why? My hair has been long for at least as many years as yours - its now about waist length and I wouldn't consider cutting it...very long hair has so many benefits, and short hair is just so very very ordinary!

Rinella...be extraordinary, challenge those who say its time for a change...love your long hair! And if you feel isolated and that no-one is there to support you keeping your hair long, stop by at one of the web communities...try www.tlhs.org or www.longhairlovers.com. If you're unsure about cutting, I'm almost certain you'll regret it if you do!
Chris
steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2000 at 9:01am
dont cut the hair. my hair is 6 inches past my waist. i wear it curled and braided,
steve View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2000 at 9:06am
dont cut the hair. my hair is 6 inches past my waist. i wear it braided and curled in large curls
Paul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2001 at 10:01am
did you ever cut your hair and if so did you like it?
and how short did you go please post a reply
wolfgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wolfgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2001 at 3:15pm
Reply to message: 4.1464.1
Rinella,

in the last year I have read some stories of hair cuts from very long to short. In most cases the women were not happy with this change afterwards, that depends from my individual choice of the websites I like, but I think it is a part of reality, I do not tell that the opposite can not be true.

The facts are to regrow a very long hair needs a lot of time, and after my experience the years between 18 and 28 are the most beautiful a life can give. Hair grows about 1/2 inch a year, to regrow a very long hair may need 10 or more years.

If you want support for the part of you that goes with your long hair I think the long hair lover websites mentioned above are the right ones, if not you can always find websites where the opposite will be told. I love the feelings that are interchanged between the people participating on the long hair lover websites, and this is caused by the hair.

I would like it if very long hair will remain a part of the civilisation I live in, I think insite a population of 10000 people one can detect a woman with very long hair only with great luck, so this long haired beauties are very seldom.

Still the thoughts about long hair give me joy and the last travel to see a woman with very long hair for some hours needed 2 x 11000 kilometers for me (the greatest distance I ever have get over before was about 1000 kilometes).

I hope you can keep your hair long, for me it is has a really great worth, maybe I can not convince you but at least I will add my opinion to the long hair lovers sight of view.

wolfgang
Dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2001 at 2:02pm
Reply to message: 4.1748.1
quote:
wolfgang originally wrote:
Rinella,

in the last year I have read some stories of hair cuts from very long to short. In most cases the women were not happy with this change afterwards, that depends from my individual choice of the websites I like, but I think it is a part of reality, I do not tell that the opposite can not be true.

The facts are to regrow a very long hair needs a lot of time, and after my experience the years between 18 and 28 are the most beautiful a life can give. Hair grows about 1/2 inch a year, to regrow a very long hair may need 10 or more years.

If you want support for the part of you that goes with your long hair I think the long hair lover websites mentioned above are the right ones, if not you can always find websites where the opposite will be told. I love the feelings that are interchanged between the people participating on the long hair lover websites, and this is caused by the hair.

I would like it if very long hair will remain a part of the civilisation I live in, I think insite a population of 10000 people one can detect a woman with very long hair only with great luck, so this long haired beauties are very seldom.

Still the thoughts about long hair give me joy and the last travel to see a woman with very long hair for some hours needed 2 x 11000 kilometers for me (the greatest distance I ever have get over before was about 1000 kilometes).

I hope you can keep your hair long, for me it is has a really great worth, maybe I can not convince you but at least I will add my opinion to the long hair lovers sight of view.

wolfgang

Did you ever cut your long hair. Let us know!
David M Squires
ijustlovelonghair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ijustlovelonghair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2001 at 9:59am
Hi Rinella,
I hope I am not replying to this message too late.
Long hair is very natural and very beautiful. There is nothing in this world like one`s natural beauty. Lonr hair makes a woman more complete. DO NOT CUT YOUR LONG HAIR.
Wishes,
ijustlovelonghair.
phil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2001 at 7:41pm
You asked for opinions and, predictably, got differing ones according to people`s preferences. In the end, it`s up to you, not what a majority of strangers think. A good stylist will take the shape of your face into account and advise you. Alternatively, you may be secretly yearning for a particular style that will make you feel good. In which case, hang it all, Go For It!
phil
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2001 at 10:17am
Hello Rinella:

If I was in your shoes I would try waist length because anything shorter might feel very extreme. After a few weeks or so you still feel that you can handle something much shorter try below your bra line. I use to deal with a lot of people as a rep on the road and I came across a lot of women who wanted a change and made major mistakes and the general message that I got from them was that they should have taken smaller steps to their changes. I know personally when that inexperience stylist cut off 6 inches of my hair I felt nude and that was only six inches off. I think if you cut it off but only cut off an amount that you still can feel you have long hair and still can tie it up in a ponytail etc I think you might feel comfortable.
dianefromcanada
Beatnik Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beatnik Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2001 at 8:46am
Good advice, Diane.
Unfortunately what people aren`t noticing is that Rinella posted her message in August, and unless I`m mistaken hasn`t been here since! Maybe if we`re not helping her, this discussion is helpful for someone else thinking similar thoughts!

Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic