Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Color remover? Protein fill vs. Precolor treatment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Color remover? Protein fill vs. Precolor treatment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amerskia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amerskia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Color remover? Protein fill vs. Precolor treatment
    Posted: March 21 2013 at 11:03pm
I started "experimenting" with my color a little over a month ago, have not had a good time with it, and am ready to go back to something close to my natural shade...
I started by lightening my hair from a medium/light brown down to a light auburn/dark strawberry, using two applications of store bought "dye" in first a "medium golden blonde", then a "palest natural blonde". While my result was darker and redder than I had initially been aiming for I decided not to push my luck any further by trying to go lighter on my own. My hair does not seem to "want" to go lighter, as other light and medium brunettes seem to. Anyway, the color was ok on me, and I got some compliments, but by the time my roots started growing out, I wasn't sold on continuing to lighten.

With quarter of an inch roots, I decided to try Revlon Colorsilk's Medium Auburn. While this color probably would have turned out well on my virgin hair, it looked a fairly fake over the lighter color, and didn't seem to cover my roots at all.

I've decided to try going back to something similar to my natural color with a demipermanent shade (I'm hoping to avoid any more permanent blunders). I selected Ion Color Brilliance from Sally's in a 5N. I bought their precolor treatment as well, though I am unsure whether I should be using this or a protein filler. What is the difference between a protein fller and Ion Color Brilliance's Precolor Treatment? Both claim to even out the porosity of hair prior to coloring.

The woman who worked at Sally's also advised me to get Loreal's Color Zap color remover, and to use this right before the precolor treatment and color. However, after doing a little research on this product, I'm skeptical. Actually, fairly terrified. It sounds extremely harsh and "bleachy". I've read reviews of other products, like Color Fix, which sound gentler. But mostly I'm wondering, do I need a color remover at all?

Edited by amerskia - March 21 2013 at 11:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic