Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

How can I tone down my red dye job?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mapper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How can I tone down my red dye job?
    Posted: April 25 2013 at 8:20am
I colored my hair at home last week after years of getting it done professionally.I've always gotten it dyed an auburnish color so I got Garnier Nutrisse intense auburn. I love the hair color on the the model on the box, but on me the color seems glaringly red...especially in the sunlight. I would love for it to look like a natural red. What do I need to do to achieve this? Do I need to go to Sally Beauty and find a toner? What exactly does a toner do? Will it look more natural if I do this?

Edited by Mapper - April 25 2013 at 8:21am
blackkitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blackkitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2013 at 9:06pm
Well if you look at any natural redhead out there, they are primarily in the ginger and strawberry blonde categories. Auburn is more classified as a reddish brown, and there are absolutely no natural wine colored redheads out there. That is more of a fashion red.

So I answered your last post on how to get lighter, and so I am assuming you are still wanting something more on the reddish blonde variety. A toner isn't really going to do much, that's more for adjusting color on the color wheel perspective. Meaning if you have blonde hair and it turned out green, you would use a violet toner to adjust it, so it would take the green out. What you are needing to do, because you aren't the level you need to be, you are going to have to lighten it. You are around a level 6 and you need to be at around a level 8-9, depending on how light you want it. Then she will put the color on it after it's to the right level.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic