Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie but long-time lurker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
wantblonde62 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantblonde62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie but long-time lurker
    Posted: July 21 2013 at 11:15pm
I am a natural level 3 with some gray coming in now (middle aged), and i have always wanted to be blonde.  Since my adventures with sun-in as a teen and with luminize on several occasions (before it was discontinued), i have found that my hair lifts fairly easily, but toning it has been my challenge.

My hair is now about a level 6 at the base and level 8-9 highlights from years of trial and error with boxed dyes, sally's dyes, experiments with different levels of developers, Wella toners and TONS of deep conditioning treatments and periods of time where i didn't use any dye at all, to give my hair a rest.

My gripe is that most of the advice i find regarding toning blonde hair is only for people who want platinum blonde hair, which i do not want.  i want medium blonde beige-y neutral hair.  i have it right now, because i put fanciful rinse on it in Bashful blonde.  underneath the fanciful, it is pitifully yellow, and even has a tinge of green from using blue-based toners and maybe too much purple shampoo.  i do not get my hair wet in the swimming pool, and have recently started protecting it from the sun as well, in addition to starting to use moroccan oil.  I am only washing it 2-3 times per week and either wear a shower cap or run conditioner through it on the days i don't wash it.  i have also used porosity conditioner, and i think that it has improved my hair as well.  it is in good condition now, according to the local hairdresser.  i have never had my hair professionally colored, although a few people commented that it looks professional.  although i am open to having it professionally done in the future, i want to be an informed customer, and not just blindly trust someone, no matter how good they are.

can anyone here recommend a good semi-perm color that will produce a level 8 neutral blonde that will not damage the hair?  i don't mind using a professional brand as long as there is minimal damage to the hair.

also, i was wondering which hair shine oils are color-safe, so that they don't make any toner or semi-perm color that i use come off.

thanks everyone, and i am happy to be here.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic