Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

;_;

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vineman_ View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ;_;
    Posted: September 25 2003 at 2:22pm
My hair grows so slow! I mean RELLY slow. It's only grown about an inch in the last 5 months at most!

I met this guy with hair 3 times as long as me and he spent 2 years growing it out, trims and cuts included, my hair should be a lot longer than it is now!

It's not damaged, it feels and looks fine and hasn't exactly been processed that much. I don't get it trimmed veyr often anymore, I decided I was having too much taken off. What's wrong with my hair ;_;
princessmonica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote princessmonica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2003 at 4:18pm
i read somewhere men's hair grows faster. but they lose it when they get older.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2003 at 9:20pm
Well, now that was reassuring, Monica. I'm sure the Vineman will appreciate hearing that.

Vineman, some people have hair that just grows slowly. The average rate of growth may be 6" per year, but for some it's 9" and for others its 3". I could ask you the whole litany of questions about your diet and exercise, but I'll simply ask: do you have a well-balanced diet and do you exercise regularly?
Jenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2003 at 11:37pm
I have a question about exercise relating to hair growth. I take yoga at school and do pilates at home (which does get your heart rate up), but I don't do much aerobic exercise. Does it matter, or is any physical activity good enough? My hair growth is medium to slow, and I eat very well.
Kateyez37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kateyez37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 3:13am
That is a question I've been meaning to ask as well. Does regular, strenuous exercise contribute to healthy hair growth? I work out 5-6 times a week (Advanced stepping at the gym and lift weights 2-3x weekly) so I'm curious about this.

Kris
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2003 at 5:31pm
I walk a LOT. As a student I can't really afford a decent diet sadly. I can't stand most vegetables, they actually make me physically sick in some cases (I know beans do).

I had a lot of stress recently and a LOAD before summer with exams, I don't know if that changes it.

My hair hasn't grown a half-inch all summer.

I really want long hair about 4 or 5 inches down my back at least. Right now it's about an inch below chin length. it's thick and wavy, but it still hasn't grown noticable. I've stopped getting it trimmed to see if that speeds it up.
This is my signature. It's not a very
good signature, but it's a signature
nonetheless.
Laine1998 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laine1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2003 at 2:58am
Vineman,
I had read in other places on here that you had been coloring, and that the color wasn't taking.
Could it be that you damaged your hair, and while your hair is actually growing, just the damaged ends are breaking off? Just a thought.
Vineman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vineman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2003 at 7:02am
No, my hair wasn't growing before I did any colouring anyway, I didn't damage its only been dyed a couple of times with fairly gentle dye and bleached once a couple of shades(that was about 2 weeks ago), it feels perfectly fine and actually a lot nicer than it used to as it's not very slightly longer and a little straighter.
This is my signature. It's not a very
good signature, but it's a signature
nonetheless.
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2003 at 9:40am
Originally posted by Vineman Vineman wrote:

I walk a LOT. As a student I can't really afford a decent diet sadly. I can't stand most vegetables, they actually make me physically sick in some cases (I know beans do).

I had a lot of stress recently and a LOAD before summer with exams, I don't know if that changes it.

My hair hasn't grown a half-inch all summer.

Vineman,

The walking is good... but the diet could be a culprit to your slow-growth hair. Veggies make you ill? Consult a doctor, perhaps, you may have undiagnosed food allergies. And of course the excess of stress isn't healthy, either. Sometimes it takes awhile before the effects of stress are manifested in your hair. Recently I had a period in which I lost a LOT of strands and blamed it on a period of stress about one month prior.

Can you take a daily multi-vitamin without upsetting your stomach? Also, be sure to drink lots of water, as much as 8 glasses a day.
grenwich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grenwich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2003 at 4:36pm
Originally posted by Vineman_ Vineman_ wrote:

My hair grows so slow! I mean RELLY slow. It's only grown about an inch in the last 5 months at most!

I met this guy with hair 3 times as long as me and he spent 2 years growing it out, trims and cuts included, my hair should be a lot longer than it is now!

It's not damaged, it feels and looks fine and hasn't exactly been processed that much. I don't get it trimmed veyr often anymore, I decided I was having too much taken off. What's wrong with my hair ;_;

NOTHING is wrong with your hair. You have a different hair growth cycle.

My hair grows very slowly as well. Patience, unfortunately, is sometimes hard to come by.
I have been growing for 20 years now, and my hair has finally hit the 100cm mark. (that averages out to about 2 inches a year, or about 1/6th of an inch a month, not including what I've had cut off.)

I've had 2 cuts in the last 12 years or so, each one about 6 inches - devastating to lose 3 years of growth, but good to keep the ends from being so ratty. Perserverance and the committment to having long hair has to keep you going. It's not always easy.
Accept what you know, and learn the best way to keep as much of your hair as possible, so you don't have to get the ends cut off when they're thin.

I started with almost nothing. I know.

Don't compare yourself to others, and take the absolute best care you can of yourself and your hair.

Patience - and chin up!

Gren

1bCiii
between tailbone and classic (43.5inches)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic