Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drugs That Cause Hair Loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Terry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drugs That Cause Hair Loss
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:20pm
I recently started losing my hair after having heart value surgery and being put on Loetril for high blood pressure. I also take a blood thinner medication.I was shocked to discover that my medications are known hair loss agents. I asked my doctor what I could do and he did not have any solution for me. Obviously I need the blood thinner for my articifical valve.My doctor told me that there is a well known list of several drugs that cause hair loss. Here is the list he gave me:Cholesterol-lowering drug: clofibrate (Atromis-S) and gemfibrozil (Lopid)Parkinson Medications: levodopa (Dopar, Larodopa)Ulcer drugs: cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine (Zantac) and famotidine (Pepcid)Anticoagulents: Coumarin and HeparinAgents for gout: Allopurinol (Loporin, Zyloprim)Antiarthritics: penicillamine, auranofin (Ridaura), indomethacin (Indocin), naproxen (Naprosyn), sulindac (Clinoril), and methotrexate (Folex)Drugs derived from vitamin-A: isotretinoin (Accutane) and etretinate (Tegison)Anticonvulsants for epilepsy: trimethadione (Tridione)Antidepressants: tricyclics, amphetaminesBeta blocker drugs for high blood pressure: atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol (Lopressor), nadolol (Corgard), propranolol (Inderal) and timolol (Blocadren)Antithyroid agents: carbimazole, Iodine, thiocyanate, thiouracilOther drugs: Blood thinners, male hormones (anabolic steroids)Good luckTerry
Jane View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:20pm
Thank you so much for this information. I am taking thyroid medication and have been losing my hair in handfulls. I am going to ask my doctor if we can try something else since I saw thyroid meds on your list.Jane> I recently started losing my hair after having> heart value surgery and being put on Loetril for> high blood pressure. I also take a blood thinner> medication.> I was shocked to discover that my medications> are known hair loss agents. I asked my doctor> what I could do and he did not have any solution> for me. Obviously I need the blood thinner for> my articifical valve.> My doctor told me that there is a well known> list of several drugs that cause hair loss. Here> is the list he gave me:> Cholesterol-lowering drug: clofibrate (Atromis-S)> and gemfibrozil (Lopid)> Parkinson Medications: levodopa (Dopar, Larodopa)>> Ulcer drugs: cimetidine (Tagamet), ranitidine> (Zantac) and famotidine (Pepcid)> Anticoagulents: Coumarin and Heparin> Agents for gout: Allopurinol (Loporin, Zyloprim)>> Antiarthritics: penicillamine, auranofin> (Ridaura), indomethacin (Indocin), naproxen (Naprosyn),> sulindac (Clinoril), and methotrexate (Folex)>> Drugs derived from vitamin-A: isotretinoin> (Accutane) and etretinate (Tegison)> Anticonvulsants for epilepsy: trimethadione> (Tridione)> Antidepressants: tricyclics, amphetamines>> Beta blocker drugs for high blood pressure:> atenolol (Tenormin), metoprolol (Lopressor), nadolol> (Corgard), propranolol (Inderal) and timolol (Blocadren)>> Antithyroid agents: carbimazole, Iodine,> thiocyanate, thiouracil> Other drugs: Blood thinners, male hormones> (anabolic steroids)> Good luck> Terry
dardin View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dardin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:21pm
> My doctor told me that there is a well known list of> several drugs that cause hair loss. Here is the list> he gave me:> Drugs derived from vitamin-A: isotretinoin (Accutane)> and etretinate (Tegison)> TerryAre you sure about that vitamin-A thing? I know that people put Retin-A (derived from vitamin-A) cream on their heads to STOP hair loss. Perhaps, it is not that HELPFUL - but is it really HARMFUL?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic