Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Humidity is a killer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Solo35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Humidity is a killer
    Posted: January 12 2001 at 10:36pm
This is one of those weeks where I have had a bad hair week!!! I live in East Texas and its been rainy and humid. Makes my hair look poufy and frizzy at the same time. I am just trying to get the layers out and it probably won`t look so bad,but this is one of those weeks where cutting it starts creeping into mind, I am not going to, but it looks like crap. I wish I could find a styling balm that would make it lay down well and not get poufy during humid weather, anyone have any suggestions?
Lisa
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2001 at 5:57am
Reply to message: 24.14.1
Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear you`ve been having a frustrating time with the humidity. I don`t have any helpful suggestions for a styling balm which might help (sorry!) ... perhaps some other people reading your message might know of some good products. I also live in a locale where humidity is frequently an issue (though not lately!) and even though my hair is basically straight, I have learned that several things help me to avoid getting frizzy hair. (1) Many shampoos these days are very strong. Diluting with water helps to avoid stripping your hair of its natural oils. (2) Using a cool/cold water rinse when you rinsed out your conditioner more effectively closes the cuticle (than comfy warm water), which helps prevent excess atmospheric moisture (water vapor) from penetrating into the hair.

Well, I don`t know if this helps, but I hope so, and I hope somebody else will recommend a styling balm product for you.
Solo35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2001 at 9:26am
Reply to message: 24.15.1
I`ll try to cool rinse and see if that helps. When you dilute your shampoo, do you do it in the bottle or after you have poured it? I also have straight hair that looks great with low humidity weather, I have these layers that are driving me nuts, but the shortest layer is now about chin legnth so I should hopefully start getting enough weight on the ends to keep them from frizzing seperatly from the other hair. Let me know about how you do your shampoo thing.
Lisa
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2001 at 5:17pm
>>When you dilute your shampoo, do you do it in the bottle or after you have poured it? <<

I have a separate (5 oz?) bottle that I put half shampoo half water in. It makes it easier for me to get the shampoo down to my scalp and the base of my skull without wasting shampoo and stressing my hair out from trying to spread the stuff!

I used to live in WV, humidity was bad even on a dry day. Constantly Hazy, Hot and Humid with a chance of thunderstorms.....

as for a conditioning balm that is good for humidity...Even though I don`t have curly hair, I did have problems with humidity and found that the products made for curly hair help.

When I went back to WV this fall for my honeymoon my hair was all over the place from the humidity. I had a sample of Edwin Paul`s Smoothing Lotion and it worked great.
Hair type: fine but thick; natural blonde with 15% grey
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2001 at 5:25pm
Reply to message: 24.19.1
Karen`s statement on the EP lotion....

>>Humidity Resistant

Even better, this product is humidity resistant. 

I tested the humidity resistance claims on a couple of muggy days in Dallas.  The results were amazing.  My hair did not frizz or gum up or change at all.  It remained straight and silky and smooth.<<
Solo35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2001 at 1:00am
Reply to message: 24.21.1
Is the Edward Paul lotion available only in salons? It sounds like its worth a shot, I just don`t recall seeing any around my area. In salons or drugstores.
Thanks for the advice..
Lisa
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2001 at 8:28am
Reply to message: 24.24.1
Hi Lisa,

Yes, as foxfan does, I use a separate bottle to dilute the shampoo. I use at least as much water as shampoo, if not even more water. It may also depend on how frequently you currently wash your hair. These days I wash mine about once a week and my scalp has become accustomed to it and is producing less oil so diluting shampoo with water is helpful to me.

You can find an array of Edwin Paul products right here in the HairBoutique.com marketplace. Follow the link below.
Solo35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2001 at 11:05am
Reply to message: 24.26.1
Thanks, I ordered some last night, so hopefully will let everyone know how it works for me by early next week. Dave, I wash mine every other day and blowdry, my hair is on the oily side, by day 2 it strts sticking to my head!!.. I go on and off about brushing it with boar bristle brush on night 2 to distribute the oils to the ends, which are rather dry. Then I hear I`m not supposed to brush it , it is interesting all the different opinions of how to treat your hair. I also just ordered some satin pillowcases because I read somewhere on these boards that they are supposed to be better for the hair!!

Lisa
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2001 at 11:58am
Reply to message: 24.28.1
I had a similar problem with frizzy hair and because of the clipper inexperience stylist that clip off 6 inches of my hair I have notice that my hair is now oily. It is normally very very dry. Now my hair is not frizzy. Maybe you need a tiny trim. I would also use oils for the ends of my hair to keep the frizzy out which help. I wouldn`t be able to do what Dave does because it is would be a waste of good money and time because myhair wouldn`t wash properly if I did. My hair is very thick and coarse and wavy and good for him if he can get away with it but I learned that using leave in conditioners really helped.
dianefromcanada
foxfan318 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote foxfan318 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2001 at 10:04pm
That would be me that posted about the pillowcases....

I used to use a nylon hair brush and changed to a boar hair brush and that made a huge difference in my hair. I am also one with an oily scalp and dry ends on day 2 of no washing....

my hair is only a couple inches past my shoulders right now. It goes in spurts -- sometimes it seems like it doesn`t grow at all, then boom I have gained a half inch.

I have learned my hair growth is directly related to how often i have to get fills on my fingernails. Right at this moment it`s been 5 weeks since I have had a fill, but my nails only look like its been 2 weeks (I related this to holiday stress). Then on the other side of the coin after my wedding in Sept to Thanksgiving, I could have easily had a fill every week due to a phenominal growth rate. My hair has also grown about 3 inches since the wedding which I do not think is normal. That`s basically an inch a month. Could you imagine my hair after a few years?? Holy cow....

on that note, I am off to the grocery store. I am craving fresh fruit!

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2001 at 5:27am
Reply to message: 24.28.1
Hi Lisa,

Good luck with the Edwin Paul! It sounds as though diluting your shampoo may not work, and that`s just fine. You gotta do what works for you, and wash as often as you need. IMO brushing is okay if done gently, but only after having worked out tangles with your fingers and/or a comb. I`ve heard that brushing curly hair will make it "explode" (become very poofy). The satin pillowcases are a good idea, help reduce the friction on the hair.
dianefromcanada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dianefromcanada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2001 at 9:54am
Reply to message: 24.30.1
Hello foxfan and Lisa:

When I had shoulder length hair I was told that I had very dry hair. I was also advise to not allow my hair to grow longer because it was too dry and it wouldn`t look nice. Back then I was under a lot of stress being a new bride and other things going on. I ignore the advice and allow my hair to grow but it was very slow. Then one day I needed to lose lots of weight and went on slim fast and boom my hair all of sudden was longer and everyone notice it and made compliment but it was still very dry. If you look at the back of the can one of the indregients is biotin and I been told by a stylist that has had very long hair almost to the floor twice in her life that she only takes biotin.
Then a few years ago my hair got a lot worse. I was under tons of stress, my hair felt like straw and it was falling out rapidly. I could easily grab handful of it.
NOw I am hardly under any stress and I am taking biotin and my hair is oily. I am taking care of what I eat and who knows that maybe makes a huge difference. I also notice that my hair seems to be growing. Maybe it won`t take me a year to catch up to the six inches that an inexperience stylist cut off.
dianefromcanada
Solo35 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2001 at 6:44am
Reply to message: 24.33.1
Well, yesterday I tried Pantene "Keep it Straight" Lotion, I am so not impressed, my hair was poufy from the blow-dry >>>>all day. And I wasted a low humidity day!! :-). I will try it one more time, if I still don`t like it, It will go to some co-workers. We have a kinda sorta hair product exchange going on at work. I get the bad end though because I`m the only one growing my hair, so they have mostly strong hold gels!! I am still waiting for the Edwin Paul lotion and will let y`all know as soon as I try it out. Diane, my hair seems to grow at a pretty constant rate(You can always tell by the roots)....Maybe yours will get long pretty quick. Dave, I don`t think I`ll try the shampoo thing and I forgot the cool water rinse, I`ll do it next time!!
Lisa
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic