Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hair,thyroid, etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hair,thyroid, etc.
    Posted: January 11 2000 at 7:23pm
Howdy everyone, maybe someone here can shed some light.I started losing hair 3 years ago at age 19. I started on thyroid replacement (Armour) about 5 months ago. All of my thyroid symptoms have cleared, except 2: My scalp hair, though it is now growing in length again, is still very thin looking. My eyelashes also still seem thin. The hair on my body (arms, legs, pubic region, under arms) has returned -- but the hair I want and care about (scalp,eyelashes) still looks like crap. Is 5 months still too soon to tell? I have an aunt (also has thyroid problems) that was just diagnosed with discoid lupus. Her hair loss looks as if it is in the normal female pattern, but a scalp biopsy revealed the lupus. Her doc says hair lost this way is gone for good and not even rogaine will help. She has to be careful to not get stressed and stay out of the sun because these things can trigger another flare up.So...2 questions...1. How long should I expect to wait until hair comes back from thyroid loss?2. Does anyone have experience with hairloss due to discoid lupus? Is there any way to tell by just looking, without getting a biopsy?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic