Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

iron deficiency and hair loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Elle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iron deficiency and hair loss
    Posted: July 01 2001 at 9:12pm
Reply to message: 8.337.1
I have had alopecia areata for 12 years now. my doctor also did a blood panel a year or so ago for thyroid and I got the same results you did. thyroid fine, but somewhat anaemic. i didn`t think much about it, but noticed on some other hair loss message boards that others had similar results on their panels. So I`ve started taking prenatal vitamins (with iron). In the few weeks that I`ve been taking them I`ve already noticed a big improvement. I decided to take the prenatal formul;a because I understand that iron needs other vitamins to help it absorb into the body. Try it and let me know. Give it a few weeks at least as it took a couple weeks before my shower drain became much less full of hair. GOOD LUCK!
~Elle
sofyne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sofyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2001 at 2:40am
Reply to message: 8.337.1
hello
yes i have a similar story. i am 19 yrs old. i lost lots of hair due to a vitamin deficency. i started on vitamins and its slowly growing back. its horrible to loose ur hair.
i take a hair supplement also that helps too.
dawn
dempie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dempie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2001 at 5:46pm
Hi, I am wondering if anyone here has experience of iron deficiency anaemia and hair loss? I have been losing hair rapidly for the past 3 months or so (average 150 lost per day, more when I wash, which I now avoid, as it is so upsetting!). I went to doc, had blood tests which showed thyroid OK, but slightly anaemic. Doc non-committal, said `wait and see what happens`. I have read up a bit, and decided to start iron supplements, as I assume the anaemia is due to monthly blood loss (I am 45).

Does anybody have similar tales, and does ANYBODY have a success story to share?
AB (UK)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic