Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

breakage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breakage
    Posted: March 31 2001 at 6:18pm
Hi, I have waist length hair and get compliments on it, but I am noticing a lot of short hairs sticking out ALL OVER THE PLACE!! I realize we all lose between 80-100 hairs daily and I`m wondering if the hairs that are sticking out are new ones that have grown in or if my hair is breaking really badly. I notice along my part, hairs that are about an inch long. Is it normal, to a certain extent, to have hairs that are different lengths? The last time I got it trimmed (about 3 months ago) the stylist said I have "beautifully healthy hair", so i`m not sure if this is just the way hair is normally. I don`t have layers in my hair, not on purpose anyway. Should i cut off a few inches and start over or use some kind of smoothing serum to keep the hairs from popping up? They aren`t just in my part but throughout my hair. When it is just washed is when you can see it the most; little "fly-aways" from three inches to six inches and on down the hair. Help! :(
Cinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2001 at 3:39am
oops, I meant to put a question mark after "breakage" because it`s more of a question than a statement. I also wanted to add that my hair is pretty fine, but I comb it from the bottom up and condition it every time I wash it. I also use olive oil on it. On weekends when I dont have anywhere I have to be, I skip washings. I know it sounds gross, but I figure "hey, nobody here at home to impress besides the cat" LOL
DaveDecker View Drop Down
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDecker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2001 at 10:02am
Reply to message: 8.368.1
Hi Cinder,

I`m sure your cat is very impressed with your olive-oil treatments... he/she would probably like to take a few licks. ;-)

Re: your hair: Relax. It`s okay. Not to worry. But you may want to consider a few of your haircare techniques. Do you comb (and not brush) out your hair, starting at the tips and gradually working to the roots? Do you rip through tangles or gently ease them out? If you hear your hair snapping, it`s breaking off. Go gently. You may need to untangle bad tangles with your fingers. Such tangles are quickly untangled in this way. I only brush my long hair after it is thoroughly detangled with a comb. Also, those shorter hairs could be new re-growth, and it will take those strands a few years to catch up with the rest, so having those shorter re-growth strands is a good thing. :) Also your short strands may be "standing up" because the hair is moisture-deprived... use a boar bristle brush to spread the sebum from your scalp, this helps reduce the fly-away effect near your head.

Hope this helps!
Cinder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cinder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2001 at 2:26pm
Reply to message: 8.369.1
quote:
DaveDecker originally wrote:
Reply to message: 8.368.1
Hi Cinder,I'm sure your cat is very impressed with your olive-oil treatments... he/she would probably like to take a few licks. ;-)Re: your hair: Relax. It's okay. Not to worry. But you may want to consider a few of your haircare techniques. Do you comb (and not brush) out your hair, starting at the tips and gradually working to the roots? Do you rip through tangles or gently ease them out? If you hear your hair snapping, it's breaking off. Go gently. You may need to untangle bad tangles with your fingers. Such tangles are quickly untangled in this way. I only brush my long hair after it is thoroughly detangled with a comb. Also, those shorter hairs could be new re-growth, and it will take those strands a few years to catch up with the rest, so having those shorter re-growth strands is a good thing. :) Also your short strands may be "standing up" because the hair is moisture-deprived... use a boar bristle brush to spread the sebum from your scalp, this helps reduce the fly-away effect near your head.Hope this helps!

Hi Dave!! Thank you for your reply :) I do use a comb and start from the bottom up. I also use a natural boar bristle brush on dry hair only. I think part of the problem is the well water here. As soon as I can afford it, I`m going to start getting distilled water and use that as a final rinse. Thanks again!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic