Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

peroxide blonde wanting to go brown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cokiethebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cokiethebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: peroxide blonde wanting to go brown
    Posted: February 21 2014 at 6:17pm
hey yall,,,i am new here and thought i would seek some advice and info,,i have a medium shade of blonde like dirty blonde from just spraying straight up peroxide on a couple of times a day, once a month,,has always done the job and doesnt fry my hair,,,so after doing this forever, i have different shades as if it was highlighted,,you always see my root color (blended in kind of),,my natural color is a dark ash funky brown,,i dont like any color of ash,,i also have some grays in the front and at the temples,,they blend in when i have 'done' my hair,,i am wanting like a light brown

ok so my question is what kind of dye kit or separates would be safe to use,,reason i ask is 2 years ago i got a box from walmart (miss Clairol non ash color),,and it fried my hair and made it ash brown (which is all gone and cut out),,,i am guessing the ammonia didnt do good since i use the peroxide and also made the ash color light brown, kind of like the color i last saw on Taylor Swift,,,it looks good on her but on me i dont like(i think of the early 80's ash tones)

i have very good hair its slick both ways when you feel it back and forth,,any imput?
teresimpson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teresimpson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 3:15am
Hi,

Are you using food-grade hydrogen peroxide in your hair?  If so, you have very little control over the outcome for the long term. 

It may not have fried your hair, but you really have no way to know what is happening with your color.

You mention your root color is kind of blended in, but your natural color is a dark ash brown.  You also have grays in the front and at the temples.

Unfortunately hydrogen peroxide permanently alters the hair cuticle and remains on your hair until it completely grows out.  As a result, any box color/kit you buy may deliver unpredictable results.  This probably is why the Miss Clairol non ash color made it ash brown.

Depending upon how much hydrogen peroxide is on your hair and for how long, the box color may again pull ash or it may pull orange or even red.  Even if you did cut out all the ash brown from the past, you can't be sure what a new kit might pull.

Have you considered doing a temporary color as a regular equalizer rather than a permanent color which may or may not deliver desired results?

Why not try a 100% temporary which fades/washed out after some washes and you can test the different colors.  Once you find a color you like, transition to a permanent box color.

Also, if you buy a Clairol product, keep the receipt and call the toll free number for Clairol to ask one of the phone color experts for advice on the right product and/or shade to select for your next permanent color.

Hope that helps.

cokiethebaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cokiethebaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 5:15am
Thanks for your reply.... I just cut back on the peroxide so now its a dirty blonde of different shades like sunkissed hair instead of one light blonde shade. And when it's all grey and the peroxide doesn't work, then I will rock out with the Grey :)

Thanks again for the info!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic