Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

23 mother of 2 and loosing hair-Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Alia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 23 mother of 2 and loosing hair-Help!
    Posted: October 20 2001 at 3:10pm
I`m 23 year old mother of two and don`t know what to do about my hairloss. My hair used to be so thick that I could barely tie it back or comb it and now I can see my scalp! I had some hairloss as a teen because of a bad relaxing experience(my hair wasn`t meant to be relaxed) but it came back only a little thinner(this was after I shaved my head) but much more healthier and maneagble so I was happy.(But I dont want to shave my head now) After my first daughter I noticed some hairloss but it wasn`t really bad and my hair bounced back but now a year after my second daughter my hair is falling out from the root in clumps and I see no end in site. My hairline is still intact and the thinning is only in the middle and not on the sides at all. I am slightly anemic , nursing and taking a progeterine only birth control called microlut, could this be the reason? I`m living in Egypt right now so I really can`t get many products from the states till I go home, but I need a solution now! Could anyone suggest solutions for me. I can get almost anything over the counter here so I might be able to find it but probably won`t find many natural solutions. I`ve been washing my hair w/ a pure panthenol shampoo and have been appyling panthenol and aloe solutions to my hair and scalp(something I found here) but am not seeing immediate results. Also my hair used to be bouncy and curly but has just become limp and flat so it makes the thinning even more noticable. could someone please let me know what to do?
Thanks
Merlin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2001 at 10:57am
Reply to message: 8.441.1
I know that this can be an alarming occurrence, but you may actually be going through a normal process. The hormonal changes in pregnancy create numerous changes in a woman`s body. There are weight gain, swelling, skin pigmentation changes, and changes in hair growth. Human hair goes through natural cycles. There is the "anagen" or growth phase, and there is the "telogen" or resting phase. The increased amount of estrogen in pregnancy stimulates an increase in the amount of hairs in the growth phase. After the delivery, there are more hairs in the resting phase and less in the growth phase, which can lead to hair loss. This loss usually begins about 1 to 4 months after the delivery, and it can be quite dramatic for some women. Most women will resume their normal hair growth cycle between 6 to 12 months postpartum, at which time their hair loss should resolve. If your hair loss has not improved by the time your baby is one year old, or if you feel that your hair loss is excessive, you should probably see your physician. Sometimes there may be an underlying hormonal abnormality, such as thyroid problems, or pituitary gland problems. However, these are rare conditions and most women with pregnancy related hair loss will improve on their own. For flat, limp hair, a common problem is excess weight from styling products or buildup. Start by trying a clarifying shampoo to remove stuck-on conditioners and styling products, and be sure to rinse well. If that doesn`t do the trick, use a body building shampoo with a low level of conditioners -- enough to smooth and coat the cuticle , but not so much that it weighs your hair down. Use a light conditioner just at the ends, if necessary. Avoid all products containing oils or lanolin, as well as heavy gels, pomades and two-in-one products. When you blow-dry your hair, bend over so your hair hangs toward the floor and dry the roots first. A little mousse or hairspray applied just at the roots also can give the appearance of volume. The common solution is to also consider a short to shoulder-length cut -- less hair equals less weight. A perm or permanent dyes can make your hair look "fatter," but you may end up with the damage that these processes can cause. A good homemade recipe is 1/4 cup vinegar to 1 cup water. After conditioning the hair use this as a final rinse. It will leave your hair soft and shiny. As far as products, I like Phytologie for Fine Limp Hair. Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Merlin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic