Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bleached Pixie Cut Disaster- how not to repeat?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bleached Pixie Cut Disaster- how not to repeat?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Aescleah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aescleah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bleached Pixie Cut Disaster- how not to repeat?
    Posted: March 03 2014 at 8:50pm
A couple years ago I finally took the plunge and went from my natural ginger to platinum blonde. I used my usual hair dresser, who is an unnatural blonde herself.

I had a pixie cut then, like I do now, and she put the bleach on like normal hair dye and left me sitting for 40 minutes with my head wrapped up.

It was unbelievably painful, which she said was normal- so I kept my mouth shut and sucked it up.

I ended up with awesome hair, but also scabs all over my head- like ALL over. I had to get antibiotic cream from my Dr just to be sure I didn't end up with an infection and I have to confess, I was worried about my hair falling out. It didn't thankfully.

I've had highlights (foils) before and since this incident and had no problem. Though if the bleach bleeds onto my scalp it stings and, I think understandably, nearly gives me a panic attack.

I know NOW after doing research that bleach should never be on your scalp.

I want to go blonde again (different hairdresser this time) but I'm worried this was some allergic reaction to the bleach instead of a burn (though it seems unlikely) and that it'll happen again.

I guess the real question here is:

Is there a way a hairdresser can bleach a pixie cut without the bleach getting on my scalp?

The hair on the back of my head isn't even a half inch long (I had my hair cut only a week ago). But there are plenty of people out there with bleached pixie cuts- how do they do it?

Thank for reading this, I know it was long!
xxxzvp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xxxzvp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 6:24am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnuWVd2rMf0&index=101&list=FLePJM2iPIfovNM7R_eyQYZA
Her hair is much shorter than yours, so you may give this a try.
Aescleah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aescleah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 8:41am
This is great, thanks! The girl even says that using 40 vol, burns, now I have a good guess as to what my old hairdresser used on me.

I've booked an apt this weekend at a high end salon for a consultation.

Fingers crossed.
BRHair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRHair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 7:25pm
FYI ... I just had to step in here, to set the record straight. I am a very experienced hairstylist, and can assure you that the proper bleach (mixed with the correct developer) IS design for "on the scalp" processing. In fact, that is the ONLY way that famous bleach blondes (Marilyn Monroe, Gwen Stephani, Madonna, etc) get their look. The key is getting it done by a true pro ... bleaching is a skill in itself. But to differentiate ... "off the scalp" bleaching (i.e. foil highlights, Balayage, Ombre) typically uses bleach mixed with a developer which is NOT intended for use against the scalp. All good stylist knows this ... but some will CHEAT and use "off the scalp" ... "on the scalp" ... a big no-no. True, some stylists get away with it ... but it can be very painful ... as you experienced.

Edited by BRHair - March 04 2014 at 7:26pm
Aescleah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aescleah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2014 at 9:08pm
Thanks for the input, now I know how to talk to the stylest on Saturday and not end up having a panic attack if we go through with the bleaching.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic