Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What shape is my face?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sweetdeexo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetdeexo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What shape is my face?
    Posted: April 09 2014 at 10:33am

Your face is definitely rectangular. When it comes to a rectangular face shape, the goal is to keep the face from appearing longer than it is naturally. There are many things that contribute to lengthening a rectangular face– hair length, volume and cut. Here are a few ideas for you!

• Layer away!: Adding lots of layers to a rectangular face shape can open you up in the cheekbone area while cutting many off the “four corners” at the same time.
  • Length matters: You never want to wear your hair super-long if you have a rectangular face shape since excessive length only makes a rectangular face shape look longer.
  • Blowouts: Waves and curls are great for rectangular face shapes because width of the overall silhouette helps. In other words, but try to go for a little more horizontal volume and steer clear of too much height. A lot of volume going upward also contributes to lengthening your face.
  • Updos: Severe, sleek updos can make your jawline corners look even stronger. If you’re okay with that, then go for it! But if you’re trying to soften go with a more romantic wavy chignon. Higher updos will bring out your corners, where lower chingons will draw less attention to them.
  • Bangs: I’m not a huge fan of a square blunt bang with square or rectangular bangs with a square jaw because it tends to make everything very box-y. Instead, try a soft rounded line or a soft/parted “curtain bang". A side swept bang is probably best though.
  • A-line cut: Just like with a square jaw, the corners of the jawline can be diffused by an a-line haircut. The longer length in front will weigh the hair down and lay closer to your cheeks, minimizing squareness. Then pair it with a long side bang to break up the usual “elongating lines” of a long bob. Try it with a little bend on the ends, too!

Hope this helps! Thumbs Up

xena11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xena11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2014 at 10:15am
Here's some pics: https://www.flickr.com/photos/121406713@N05/ (I apologise for my depressing-looking face :P).

I'm guessing I'll have to thin my hair to avoid it going 'puffy'. I don't mind going to the hairdressers every few weeks to keep it short, as long as I don't have to spend longer than 5 mins every morning getting it ready. I was thinking of temporarily straightening my hair for 30 days so I won't have to straighten it everyday (if it's needed for a short cut). 

If I cut it short, I'd love Rihanna's cut here: http://0.tqn.com/d/blackhair/1/0/j/5/-/-/79611276.jpg Big smile

Thanks everyone! Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic