Banishing Bad Hair Days since 1997!™
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My problem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My problem
    Posted: September 21 2002 at 6:52pm
My name is Sandra and I have had Alopecia Totalis for 5 years, since I was 18. Up to now I`ve always worn a wig but I feel it`s about time I was able to throw it away and go "au naturel", but somehow can`t bring myself to do it! Has anyone else had such a problem and if so how did you deal with it? My homepage is as follows, to give you more of an idea about me.

http://geocities.com/scooper632000/baldsandyspage.html
BaldSandra
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 1:16am
Sandra, Without a doubt, some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen are bald women, and you would not believe how many men are attracted to bald women, especially if you doll yourself up with long earrings, the right makeup, sexy dresses, etc..You can really see a woman`s feminine features when she is bald! My beautiful wife Monique wears her hair ultra-short, and on occasion shaves her head smooth and bald, and she looks sensational, very sexy, and a bald head on a woman is so sensual to the touch! A bald woman has really the best of both worlds, she can wear a wig and have hair, or go with the smooth sensual bald style! My wife likes being bald so much, she has even considered electrolysis to permanently remove all of her hair and go bald! I think you are a lucky woman darling, and if you want to go bald, some people will stare at you, but I assure you many of those stares will be looks of admiration and attraction! Kisses and a hug from me and my wife! Love, Johan
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 1:26am
Also Sandra darling, there is a website called baldfiles dedicated exclusively to bald women, and the men who love them, and on page one or two, if you look at the listings of baldfiles, you will find an address for the smootdomes site, also dedicated to beautiful bald women, with writings by bald women! Good luck lovely bald lady! Love, Johan
Bald Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bald Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 5:35pm
LOVELY SANDRA ! I too have alopecia totalis, with me it has been lifelong! I sometimes do go out bald with my husband to art galleries, concerts, clubs, etc., and I really dress up with my best earrings and jewelry, a little black dress, or a long elegent dress, high heels, carefully applied makeup; you get the idea, and I usually get very favorable looks and comments, which my husband and I enjoy! And yes, everything Johan said is true, I have discovered that bald women do have the best of both worlds, wearing hair, or going bald and beautiful!- You may want to wear a wig at work, no need to attract extra attention there though.------------- I LOVE BEING A BALD WOMAN SANDRA I WOULDN`T HAVE IT ANY OTHER WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! REMEMBER, YOU ARE PART OF A UNIQUE GROUP OF BEAUTIFUL WOMEN!!! YOU ARE SMOOTH AND LOVELY, MUCH LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
linda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2002 at 2:50am
Dear Sandy, I also have alopecia totalis. I was awfully shy up until I was in my late twenties, and ALLWAYS WORE A WIG EVERYWHERE! Then one night a girlfriend of mine asked me to go out to a nightclub with her. She had just gotten a very short haircut, and she suggested I go to the club bald, wear some attractive gold hoop earrings that I had , and a short skirt, nylons and heels. I don`t know why but for the first time ever I went out bald, and we had a great time! We got more attention than any other women in the club!
The week after, I went shopping , bought a couple of sexy dresses, and some long dangle earrings, a couple of beautiful scarves, and it just went from there. I am in my mid-thirties now, married and pregnant with my first child! I never thought it could be a blessing to be a bald woman, but I met the right people and the right guy, and most importantly, I enjoy being myself, and I never would have believed this, but I`m glad I`m bald.
I`m sure Britian is not much different than America is Sandy. I say , go for it young lady!
My love Sandy!
Bald Linda
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2002 at 1:35pm
Dear Sandy, I appreciate you writing into my post on general hair talk. There are a couple of things that I wanted to mention to you regarding the increasing acceptance of bald women that I saw on American television.
There was a documentary on American women in their twenties going out on dates with men. The show was done in New York City in Manhatten. There were three young women who were talking together about the guys they dated, then it showed them on dates with their guys, then later the women got together and talked about dating some more. Two of the women were white women, one was a black woman. One of the white women had long blonde hair, the black woman had short curly permed hair, and the other white woman was completely smooth and bald! What was interesting was that the bald woman`s baldness was never even mentioned, it was just another fashion style! It was like, here are three young American women on dates with their men, one with long hair, one with short hair, and one bald, and all of these women were modern fashionable women;beautiful, attractive, everyday women who worked and dated men. A very cool show, I wished I had taped it!
Also there was a show on local television here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area that was interviewing college professors on cultural issues. One of the professors was a middle aged black woman who taught African-American studies at a local university, and she had a shaved head, she was completely smooth and bald, and no one on the show mentioned her baldness.
These women going bald in public on television indicates to me the growing acceptance in the western world of bald women!
Much love,
Johan
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2002 at 2:56pm
To all of you lovely people who have replied to my plight, thank you. I was quite amazed to see there was not only a BaldSandra but a Bald Linda, Bald Jennifer and a Bald Heidi as well. We should form the Bald Ladies Club! Seriously I am so pleased for you (and a bit envious) that you belong in a culture where women can go bald in public and no one turn a hair, so to speak. That isn`t the case in Backward Britain, I`m afraid, not yet anyway. But thinks for your support, it`s really nice to know that people care.
BaldSandra
belinda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belinda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2002 at 9:18pm
Dear Sandy,
Hello Sandy, my name is Belinda I live in the U.S.A. and I have read your writing on this website.I haven`t been to Britian, but I know people from there, have read alot about the U.K. and of course seen many television shows about Britian. I am surprised that you refer to it as backward culturally in regards to bald women. I have seen bald women on the catwalks of fashion shows from London, and I know that several famous bald women who are singers and fashion models live in London,(Wendy O, Alec Wek, Sinead O`Conner, and several others, I can`t remeber their names). In the larger cities there , like London or Liverpool, there must be many women with very short hair and some who are bald. Do you live near any of the major cities in Britian?
Best of luck to you, you seem like a lovely woman!
Bald Jennifer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bald Jennifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2002 at 1:15am
HI SANDRA, I saw on cable that same show about people on dates that Johan saw with the young bald woman and two other girls, I can`t remember if the show was on one of the music networks like MTV or VHI, or one of the cultural/ society type networks like A and E, or Lifetime, I guess it doesn`t matter. At any rate the bald woman was an artist and a secretary and the guy she was on a date with was a very handsome guy with long brown hair, he worked in the music industry and played music, too! And since they were both interested in the arts they got along real well, later in the show they both indicated they wanted to date each other again, it was very romantic! And they were so cute together, she had big brown eyes and looked sensational bald with a real nice black dress, beautiful earrings and perfect makeup, and the guy was a real gentleman, a fairly big guy who looked atheletic but very handsome with his hair back in a ponytail and a very pleasant personality, mild mannered, you know a gentleman. Their conversation was intelligent too, unlike some of these stupid dating shows! They had some nice long hugging and kissing at the end of the date too, instigated by the bald woman! If all dating shows were as good as that show I would watch dating shows more often, but those type of shows are usually stupid!
I also saw a show on cable about a woman in L.A. who had all of the hair on her head removed through laser and electrolysis! The show was about tatooing, piercing, head shaving, various stuff like that, some of the show was really weird, but some of the tattoos were nice, not trashy looking, and the woman who had her hair removed was probably in her thirties. There is a subcult of people that actually do that! ISN`T IT AMAZING! Here women with alopecia(or at least some women with alopecia, not me!) want to have hair, and other women are having their hair removed! What a world! All sorts, I guess!
Anyway Sandra, just had to write those thoughts after reading what Johan had written.
Best of luck sweetie, all of my love!!!!!
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2002 at 3:22pm
Dear Belinda and Bald Jennifer, thank you so much for your replies. You`re quite right, if I were in London or some other large and cosmopolitan city I don`t think there would be a problem, it`s just out here in the `sticks` people are a lot more inward-looking in their attitude, than when they see a bald woman positively neanderthal!
How I wish, like the USA we had TV shows where bald women are free to turn up on dating shows and NOT just be there for the freek value. I`ll bet all that electrolysis was painful, too, but it just goes to show how much more accepting they are on the other side of "the pond". It does indeed take "all sorts", just there aren`t as many of them over here, not yet anyway. I like the fact that you are really happy not to have hair, it`s an attitude I will aspire to.
Love to both,
Sandy
BaldSandra
Bald Heidi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bald Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2002 at 11:31am
Hi Sandy,

I have been meaning to write you, I have been writing on the general talk board on Johan`s ultra-short hair thread!

I am bald by choice Sandy, but even in big cities in America most women don`t go in public bald, I wear a wig since shaving my head! But I think there is a sisterhood between bald women, whether bald by alopecia or by choice, and even a sisterhood with women with very short hair.I think Johan is right, it is a style, it should be viewed by people as a fashion style.

My guy loves me bald and I really want to stay bald, but unlike you, I have to shave everyday, which is a hassle, which is probably why I will eventually go to a short crewcut, I have already discussed that with my man and it is ok with him, but I would stay bald if I could. It is not only the look, but also my head feels so smooth, it feels so good when I take a shower, and it feels so good when I wrap a scarve around my head! there is just something about having smooth skin.And I think Johan is right, smooth skin, including on the head seems very feminine to some people, it is a good style for a woman!

I just wanted to write you something Sandy, nothing really important, just some of my ideas!

Love ya Sandy,

Bald Heidi
bald Linda View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bald Linda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2002 at 12:21pm
Dear Sandy,

You mentioned Sandy how you aspire to have Jennifer`s attitude, that she actually prefers to be bald and wouldn`t have hair if she could.

For most of my life Sandy I wanted hair, I was so shy that even though people told me I was pretty, had a cute figure and so forth, I ALWAYS wore a wig and rarely went out, or on dates! In some ways this was good because I read alot, developed my spiritual side and I believe developed more depth to my personality, but I was just so shy!

What you have to realize Sandy is that real people that are worth knowing will accept you bald, and learn about you as a person, as you will also get to know them. A person who judges you just because you are bald is a very shallow person not even worth knowing. I refuse to waste my time with people like that. To me they are just idiots!

Also as Johan and others have pointed out, many men actually love the bald look on women, find it sexy and attractive, even prefer it. My husband I believe would love me even if I had hair but I think part of the reason he loves me is that I don`t have hair.

I`m glad you are aspiring to appreciate your baldness, but what happened to me, and this happened to me even before I my husband Albert, was that one day I just decided I was sexy and beautiful, as much as other women if not more, and that baldness IS MY STYLE, AND I HAVE STYLE! And even more important than that, I have more depth to my personality because of ny bald experience, I am a fully developed woman, spiritually, emotionally, intellectually! It just happens Sandy! You quit aspiring to appreciate your baldness, you just become who you are, and being bald is part of your style, part of your humaness, your womanliness, your femininity, you are classy, sexy, smooth!!!

This is the best I can explain it Sandy, once you accept that you are not "suffering" with alopecia totalis", but it could be considered a normal, natural state of being for some women, and a good way to be, a smooth feminine way to be, you won`t have to aspire to anything other than doing what you want in life, whatever that is!

All of my love to you Sandy, I can tell by your writings you are a very beautiful person and woman!!!
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2002 at 2:47pm
Dearest Linda & Heidi,
All this wonderful support is really helpful, thank you so much. You are of course so right that baldness is all a state of mind. I guess it takes time to actually convince yourself of this, of course. I`m still on a learning curve as far as that goes. The crunch will come when I do eventually meet a man with the qualties you have said - so far, no such luck! Baldness, it seems, brings out the shallowness in them.
One said he wouldn`t have anything to do with me unless I "did something about it" Like what, I wonder? Another thought there was some magic head cream I must be able to use. Not one of them so far has yet allowed to walk down the street "naked" with them - (and I only mean my head! lol. ) Confidence is one thing but it helps if someone else gives you some, and I mean more than just kind people on this message board but a real-life guy. Anyway I`ll take your words to heart, I really will, and hopefully some of your confidence will rub off on me, then inspire someone else to give me some more.
Anyway I must stop wallowing - lighten up Sandy!!
BaldSandra
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2002 at 4:38pm
Lovely Sandy,
I just got done watching a soccer(football) game from your country England! It was played earlier today, we saw the game here on satellite dish on tape delay. My favorite English team Liverpool beat Tottenham 2-1! It was a great match!
Sandy, I read what Linda wrote, and I agree with everything she said, especially the part about a person developing themselves as a person, spiritually, pursuing their intellectual interests and so forth. And also Sandy, my wife and I know plenty of single women who have fulfilling lives who do many things that interest them, you don`t really need a full time guy, if you get one that`s great, but you have your own life. I spendt many years single before my first marriage, then after my first wife, a drug abuser, abandoned me and our two little daughters,( who were very young at the time ),I was single again, before I met my present beautiful wife Monique. I spendt most of my life without a good woman, but I had plenty of interests, and I worked hard!
I relate to you alot Sandy because I am different too! I am in my 40s and when I was a teenager and young adult, back in the 1970s and 1980s, it was the style for many guys to wear their hair real long, you know the hippie look. But nowadays some guys still have long hair but not near as many. I continue to wear my hair long about half way down my back and a goatee beard, because I like that style and also because my wife(who as you know wears her hair ultra-short and who on several occasions has shaved her head bald), likes my long hair and wants me to keep it long, so I wear it that way to please her.
You would not believe some of the crap I have taken from people because of my long hair! The Minneapolis/St. Paul metroplitan area is a fairly big city, appox. 3 million metro area including suburbs, and a very libertarian and tolerant city, but even here a few people have given me a bad time! Nobody accuses me of being gay, because I am husky and atheletic in build and I look fairly tough(must be those scars from playing ice hockey), but I have been called hippie scum, loser bum, long haired creep, accused of being a drug dealer, a pimp, a criminal. And here I am, my clothes are clean, my hair is clean and well groomed, I am hard working, run my own cab business, I am educated, well read,and I like to believe I am a good husband and father. When I was younger I got into a little trouble, but as an adult man I believe I am a responsible guy who is good to people and a good guy! Yet there are people that judge me and try to put me down(I say try, because if they try to put me down, believe me, I give them hell back, I assure you, and I am not one to mess with!), just because of my long hair and beard! And there are some incredibly immature and foolish people that will judge you because you are a bald woman! Most people won`t, but there are some people who will ,people who I think have an anti-social problem if they can`t stand the fact that people have different types of hair!
What is most amazing to me though is that I know for a fact that many men like women with short hair, that is why many women over the age of 25 wear short hair, not only because it is easier to take care of but because they know it is attractive, and many guys like bald women too, and I mean many guys, I`ve discussed it with many people in my taxicab, and I meet many types of people. It is only a matter of time before ultra-short hair and bald looks for women become even more popular, it is bound to happen because it is so attractive on women.
I know both in my everyday life and on the internet, I am going to encourage these styles for women, and encourage women who want to try these styles to try them, and encourage men who like women in these styles to admit it, be honest and admit that women look so pretty and sexy with an ultra-short hairstyle and especially with the bald look!
And me,and my wife Monique, are always on the side of women like you Sandra, beautiful bald women with alopecia, like I said before on this site, in my opinion you are lucky because women with alopecia totalis are more beautiful, and probably better women, than most of the other ladies!
Love darling Sandra,
Johan
Bald Heidi View Drop Down
Unregistered
Unregistered
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bald Heidi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2002 at 11:37am
Hi again Sandy,

Those guys you were seeing Sandy sound like immature boys. A grown up man, a real man, would never say such stupid things to you, and would have more understanding. But I just know many good things are going to happen with you in your life.

Johan, do people in your city really give you a bad time about having long hair? Here in south Florida men can wear their hair how they like! Long haired guys are considered cool and sexy. I`m surprised because I always heard Minneapolis was a really progressive type of city!

My love to you both!!!!!
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2002 at 1:13pm
Sandy and Heidi, Hello lovely ladies,
Heidi, Minneapolis is a progressive city, and only on rare occasions do I meet idiots that give me a bad time about my hair. But you have to remember I am in the taxicab industry and we are out on the road alot and out amongst the general public more than most people are, so I meet all kinds; the good, the bad and the ugly! The point I was making to Sandy in relating to her, is that both bald women and men with long hair have subcult hairstyles, that I believe are attractive, but still a subcult to many people.
Sandy, remember I wrote earlier that I thought one of the advantages bald women had was they could go natural with their bald look, or wear wigs and have different hairstyles? As you know, I prefer my wife with very short hair or bald, but she does look good in wigs too. She has mostly short haired brunette wigs, in cute styles, but yesterday she bought a wig longer than her other wigs, a brunette wig that is several inches past her shoulders, in a nice style, sort of like Jennifer Lopez`s hair, and my wife wore it to church this morning with a very pretty dress, and she looked so good! She looks the most beautiful bald, but she does look great in wigs too, and it gives her the advantage of having different looks. Her different wigs and headscarves are very beautiful, and that , along with the different assortment of earrings and jewelry she wears, can give her different looks. She is always the same Monique, but it is just so fashionable for her to wear different pretty attractive looks!
Later beautiful ladies!
Carol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2002 at 7:06pm
Hello Sandy______ i`m one of the tribe, about as complete of an alopecia totalis person as you will ever meet, my head is so bald it shines! i have been this way since i was 15, now over 20 years later i don`t even think much about being bald, you get completely used to it, and you end up doing the same things every other woman does.
You are already over the worst sandy, the first couple of years are by far the worst, i had to take anti-depressant pills for a few years but it gets better, and you eventually end up with the same joys and problems every other woman has, more or less, we are just doing it bald! oh yes, i suppose you know by now to wear something on your head in the cool months of the year! if you think the u.k. is cold in the winter, try canada! not the best climate, for at least half the year, for us bald and beautiful types!
a big hug from an alop/total sister in toronto!
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2002 at 10:40pm
Dear Sandy,
There was something I was meaning to ask you but I forgot about it until tonight. I read in the newspapers and saw on national television last summer that they had an international alopecia convention in the city of St. Louis, here in the U.S. last July. They showed bald men, women and children, and the convention seemed to have a very festive atmosphere, although I am sure they had serious discussion groups as well.
I also know they have alopecia meetings here in Minneapolis, including group meetings for bald women. I was wondering does your city or a nearby city in England have alopecia group meetings, and if so, have you ever attended. It would be interesting to know what the alopecia women disscused, and how they view life for bald women in the U.K.
Sincerely,
Love
Johan
Johan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2002 at 10:50pm
Also Sandy, my wife Monique wrote some interesting stuff on the general talk site on Julie`s thread that is titled "Hair and Spirituality". Both the woman Julie and my wife had some interesting things to say about hair, or the lack of hair, and how they feel about it, and some of their religious and spiritual ideas. I think you would find it very interesting.
Thanks,
Johan
sandy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2002 at 8:48am
Hi Johan,
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately no such group exists as far as I know here in the Midlands of England, though I must admit that never having really gone public about my condition I`ve never really looked into it. That`s one thing about the US, they seem to have Special Interest Groups for anything you want. Sleepy old Britain lets me down again! Now, the "Spirituality of no Hair", what`s that? You`ll have to excuse my ignorance but the only thing that comes to my mind is Hare Krishna. I`ve had people shout "Krishna" at me, in fact. Glad you enjoyed the footie, Liverpool are top of the League at the moment.
Dear Carol, thanks for your message. You must need some woolly hat in winter! One thing I have noticed in common is that all the girls who have sent helpful messages have all lived with and I guess covered up the condition for a while, until one day they throw the wig off and wish they`d done it years earlier. Am I right? I guess there must be hope yet!
BaldSandra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic